WAHM Forums - WAHM.com

WAHM Forums - WAHM.com (https://www.wahm.com/forum/)
-   Craft Companies & Crafters (https://www.wahm.com/forum/craft-companies-crafters-140/)
-   -   Titan chains (https://www.wahm.com/forum/craft-companies-crafters-140/582574-titan-chains.html)

5525carin 10-07-2011 06:51 AM

In my opinion the were small but I never did this craft before. After you make one of the Style #1 and one of #2 send them in for a critique. I did not do that and wish that I had.
Good Luck!
Carin

Felklaw 10-07-2011 07:41 AM

We have just sent in our first samples (one of each style) and they accepted them.
Just waiting on the detailed email with any pointers, but overall they replied and said they were looking good.

As for your starter loops, personally I find the first 1 or 2 rows are actually dead rows for me.
When I first tried to make every loop so small and tight, it just made the next layer around so much harder to actual feed through.
I personally only make Style 1 by hand, i.e. I don't use pliars to pull through the loops or make my twists. I make the starter bundles and set up for Style 2 for my wife to make, but I make the Style 1 (and have the sore fingers to show!)

I'll take a picture later today and try to post it showing both the starter row or two (which as Carin said, just trim them off) and make it get tighter and cleaner by the third row, which becomes the real 1st row.

My biggest time consumer/hassle is both joins, and the ends. Trying to finish and clean up the ends is really frustrating. I need an extra set of hands to be able to make it how I want it.

But that being said, I also find the actual making of the chains a very relaxing thing. Currently we are purely focused on making them right, not making them fast. I feel I can make a Style 1 chain in about 6 - 8 hours at the moment (lots more fiddly work, have to raise nearly every loop to feed behind it) and can make a Style 2 chain in about 4 hours.
After some more practice, can definately make a full lot in a week. My wife is a WAHM, I have a full time job, so I am an evening weaver.

5525carin 10-07-2011 08:06 AM

I am so happy for you Felklaw. I hope it continues to go well :)!

Lilah 10-07-2011 08:18 AM

Thanks!

Thank you both for your help. I think my crafting OCD kicks in when I try to do these chains! Felklaw, if you would be able to post a pic, that would help immensely. I guess I'm used to working with softer wire (ie.copper) and get frustrated when I don't get the same results with the stainless steel wire. Your replies were very helpful.

AnnaLynn 10-08-2011 11:56 AM

Hi ya'll,
Any tips for the style 2 bracelet. I'm having a bit of trouble with the double weave. It seems the loops overlap each other and it's hard to find the second loop up to pass the wire behind it.
Thanks!

princess4ever 10-09-2011 09:20 AM

i'm glad you all are getting paid but when i look at the website i don't see how they deal with taxes. any of you that are still working with them have any info on the taxes?

thanks

AnnaLynn 10-09-2011 09:55 AM

Hi Princess4ever,
You are considered an independent contractor and have to take care of the taxes yourself. They have info to help with that but you could also consult a tax professional.

5525carin 10-09-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaLynn (Post 2848565)
Hi ya'll,
Any tips for the style 2 bracelet. I'm having a bit of trouble with the double weave. It seems the loops overlap each other and it's hard to find the second loop up to pass the wire behind it.
Thanks!

I found style 2 a bit confusing at first but I went to youtube and typed in double weave viking knit. I watched a couple of different clips that were very helpful.

AnnaLynn 10-11-2011 03:44 PM

Thanks Carin!

bewhole 10-11-2011 06:09 PM

Here is another site that explains a lot about it too.
Viking Knitting - How To Information | eHow.com