WAHM Forums - WAHM.com

WAHM Forums - WAHM.com (https://www.wahm.com/forum/)
-   Craft Companies & Crafters (https://www.wahm.com/forum/craft-companies-crafters-140/)
-   -   Titan chains (https://www.wahm.com/forum/craft-companies-crafters-140/582574-titan-chains.html)

clayton 06-11-2014 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neah (Post 3212733)
thanks lynne, I did get approved finally!! I do have to improve my end loops.. closing the last one is kind of tricky. Does anyone maybe have some tips to get the last one in a nice teardrop & keeping it all tight? :)

Hello i just got the tear drop down, i well as i tighten it up i use two pliers, one to hold the chain back, also gripping the memory wire when tight... to keep the memory from sliding back into bracelet chain loosing tightness and the other i use to pull the memory wire tight but as i pull it tight i use the first pair to hold the finalle position and with each little pull i use both pliers against each other. like a t-toter/criss cross.... giving lots of leverage, this will make it to tight tho, so might want to watch out for that. But once you make your finale tear drop loop and pull your plier out, you probably notice the beads slide up in the tear drop loop making it diffacult to finish closing the loop, First i put a pair of pliers in my metal Vise (bought seperate) pliers pointing straight up in the air as i tighten down the Vise. Next i use my finger nail on my thumb and slide my finger nail inbetween the last bead and the last tear drop loop made giving me just enough room within the tear drop loop to slide one point of the clamped down pliers into the tear drop loop. Then i grab the chain and beads closest to last end tear drop loop and pull back just a little, giving me just enough slack to close that last end loop with another pair of pliers. Then i slide it off the one point of the pliers that the Vise is holding and it should be almost perfect but i always have to squess my last tear drop loop into the bead to match the other side. I hope this helps out somehow, kinda hard to explaine the way i do it. Or i might try using a butter knife instead of my finger nail next time lol Good luck Neah, feel free to ask me questions.

Trea 06-17-2014 10:10 AM

New to Titan Chains

Hi everyone. I just signed up for Titan Chains and ordered my kit. I read through the entire thread once and will do so again and take notes for tips. Do you know if they have a DVD available of exactly how they want it done? I'm the type of person who learns better watching than reading.

I also am trying NEC and received my kit for one of their bracelets but I ordered the DVD and am waiting for it to show up before I make my sample for them. I'm going to try to do both because we need the income. I ordered a viking knit kit last week so I should be able to practice with it as soon as it arrives any day now.

It seems as though the chains will be hard to do but I am determined to make a go of it. Any advice you can give once I get my kit will be appreciated. I hope I don't get reprimanded for mentioning NEC in this thread but that thread seems to have died. I guess there are no more people around here doing it.

Trea

Neah 06-23-2014 09:55 AM

Thanks clayton i think i have the end loops finally figured out :)!!!

Hi Trea, i'm still kind of new myself as far as i know there isn't a dvd available but youtube has some tutorials on viking knit and that helped me out quite a bit. They do work with you.. My first sample i submitted was way to big and they sent me a sample so i would have something to compare it to. It really isn't that hard, just make sure u get some cheap wire from joanns or walmart and practice first! I still start my chains of with cheap wire and then i just weave the titan wire to it and cut my cheap wire of at the end.. Oh and definitely invest in some kind of gloves (i just use garden gloves) & bandage tape is really helpful too :)

Sorry i don't know much about NEC and i've never tried it, I was going to give it a try but decided to go with titan chains instead, they're payout just seems better and NEC website seems kind of confusing.

snurfy2k 07-08-2014 08:51 PM

Thank you Clayton for that tip on getting everything tight! I haven't had any issues for awhile with getting my bracelets tight but my last lot gave me a fit, and I got a little slap on the hand from Titan today for that lot! I'm assembling a lot now to mail out tomorrow and your tip has saved me some blood, sweat, and tears! LOL!

Mayra 07-13-2014 05:04 AM

Another Newbie

Hi all! I've just spent a good portion of the night reading through 100 pages of this thread. I feel like this is what I have been looking for.

Going to have to have a long discussion with hubby when he wakes up...LOL

Mayra 07-13-2014 08:45 PM

Ordered the Basic Training Kit

Got the OK from my hubby and just ordered my kit. Let's see how this all goes for me!!!
Just a note..... I want to thank all of you for all of your posts. It is so wonderful that you have taken the time to share your struggles and your triumphs with all of us. It is because of you gals/guys that I made this step. again, thank you <3

gcct33 07-17-2014 12:01 PM

I have to say "Respect to all of you that are able to prepare the chains!" I tried and tried but was unable to make them. My husband and I tried but I think we were too impatient :( The last time I tried to make a chain I was sooo frustrated!! I wrapped the wire in a not so nice ball and gently threw it to the back of my desk drawer. I don't think I want to see it again lol. But seriously, congratulations girls (and guys) ;)

Neah 07-18-2014 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcct33 (Post 3222190)
I have to say "Respect to all of you that are able to prepare the chains!" I tried and tried but was unable to make them. My husband and I tried but I think we were too impatient :( The last time I tried to make a chain I was sooo frustrated!! I wrapped the wire in a not so nice ball and gently threw it to the back of my desk drawer. I don't think I want to see it again lol. But seriously, congratulations girls (and guys) ;)

It is quite frustrating at first and can still be at times :rolleyes:. Not sure if u are still trying to give it another chance, but if u do get some cheap walmart wire ( I believe 26 gauge) that's a little easier to work with and once u have the loops down with the cheap wire just join ur titan chain wire and continue weaving ur sample. For me the hardest part is the beginning trying to hold everything down while I do my first loops once that's done it gets a lot easier :). It did take me at least a month to get approved (on my 3rd sample) so it does take some time..

Kimber76 07-18-2014 01:35 PM

Getting chain off mandrel...

Hi! Does anyone have any tips for getting completed chain off the mandrel???? It seriously takes forever and I usually have to have help because it is so tight :( I submitted one sample and need to work on single weave tightness and tightening up beads and smaller end loops... I am enjoying the process so far :)

snurfy2k 07-18-2014 06:55 PM

What I do is, weave a few rows and then push the chain up on the mandrel, weave a few more rows, and push the chain up! If I'm not paying attention and weave too much of the chain without pushing it up I end up breaking a sweat from trying to pull the chain off...lol! Good luck!