Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:03 PM
WAHM Addict

Default What I saw in the grocery store today

I was amazed. This lovely lady had a scrapbook type binder with about 10 or more pockets on each page 2 sides - and it looked like she had more than 25 pages in the binder and all coupons! I was so impressed.

She said she is helping her sister go through college with all the savings!
Her cart was so neat with all the different items in a row. She slowly walked through the aisle - late at night about 10 pm (there's a lot less people shopping at that time). I had a nice conversation with her and she just was so nice. But I am amazed at how organized she is. My daughter saves coupons and is pretty organized but this woman looked professional.

She said she buys 50 newspapers every Sunday! I never realized all the time, work and effort that is put in coupon buying. I imagine there are a lot who do this and I salute you!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2013, 08:03 AM
WAHM Regular

I'm one of those "crazy couponers" with the binders. I don't buy 50 papers a week though! I buy just one and get another set of coupons from my parents (after my dad has gone through them and clipped out the ones he wants.) I use the printable coupons too. I like to go to couponing forums and read and post about sales and any coupons that might be out there to match the sales with. I also download coupons onto my grocery store's cards (Kroger and Randalls) to use too. I have 3 teenage boys, my hubby, my daughter, a cat and a dog to feed. I try to keep my weekly grocery trips at between $100-$125...used to be only $75 a week, but with the rising prices and teenage boys who eat from sun up to sun down I had to increase that!
Old 09-16-2013, 02:59 PM
WAHM Addict

I don't call them "crazy couponers" I call them SMART! I rarely used coupons - I mean if I had the time and found one in the newspaper, I would use it. Or if it came with my grocery receipt. But I just couldn't find the time to look for them all. I felt so guilty when the cashier would ask if I had any coupons and I'd say "no"

And I always thought that coupons were never for the things I bought! But with the rising cost of food, I was looking for a way to lower my grocery budget without it being a full time job. I'm glad I found it. So now I go to the store with my handful of coupons lol. At first I was wondering if the cashier was going to groan when she saw this, but she seemed a bit in awe and asked me how I was able to get them lolol.

So, let's keep couponing because it seems we need to!
I have all those "rewards" cards, too. They can really help me save!
Could you PM me and let me know about those couponing forums?

It helps to lower the budget when we save on things we need don't you think?

Thanks!

[ I like to go to couponing forums and read and post about sales and any coupons that might be out there to match the sales with. I also download coupons onto my grocery store's cards (Kroger and Randalls) to use too. I have 3 teenage boys, my hubby, my daughter, a cat and a dog to feed. I try to keep my weekly grocery trips at between $100-$125...used to be only $75 a week, but with the rising prices and teenage boys who eat from sun up to sun down I had to increase that! [/QUOTE]
Old 09-18-2013, 08:38 AM
WAHM Regular

I love using coupons. I am always amazed at how fast the savings add up. Then I try to do most of my shopping at the store that gives gas points so I can also save on gas! We do a lot of buying at Home Depot as well so I buy gift cards at the grocery store, which gives me double gas points, and use those for the purchases. It all adds up and we all need to save where we can!
Old 09-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Awesome WAHM

I'm uber impressed by the people with the nice, neat binders too. I tried that method once and it was a disaster for me. I simply don't have the time or patience to clip, sort and file all those coupons. Now, I just file the inserts and use the SavingsAngel match-ups to find which ones to clip. Sanity saver for me!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:52 PM
WAHM Addict

Yeah I never used many coupons because I just didn't have the time nor inclination to search and clip and save and then use them. I kept forgetting them lol. I am with a service now that I just go to one site and using my grocery list I find all the coupons I can in one place and clip and print and I am so excited about being able to do that. I saved $80 this month so far using this coupon method. I hope to cut my budget because every penny saved is a penny earned right?
Old 10-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Registered WAHM

My husband and I just started doing this ourselves. It only took one well known coupon website and about an hour of our time and we reduced a $127 grocery bill down to $56. It was a lot of fun as well!
Old 11-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue McBay View Post
I was amazed. This lovely lady had a scrapbook type binder with about 10 or more pockets on each page 2 sides - and it looked like she had more than 25 pages in the binder and all coupons! I was so impressed.

She said she is helping her sister go through college with all the savings!
Her cart was so neat with all the different items in a row. She slowly walked through the aisle - late at night about 10 pm (there's a lot less people shopping at that time). I had a nice conversation with her and she just was so nice. But I am amazed at how organized she is. My daughter saves coupons and is pretty organized but this woman looked professional.

She said she buys 50 newspapers every Sunday! I never realized all the time, work and effort that is put in coupon buying. I imagine there are a lot who do this and I salute you!
One of my oldest friends does this. It's like a military operation! Her and her husband keep everything on spread sheets, and when they go out grocery shopping, it's litterly like troops heading into combat. LOL I think it's totally cool, though. You should see her basement. They have enough stuff to last them for a nuclear winter!
Old 11-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Super WAHM

My roommate and I were just talking about this yesterday. We are going to start a grocery book, to see what the cycles are on the BOGO's we buy. She doesn't use coupons unless they are just sitting there, but I used to, and I've been thinking that I need to start again. I know most of you don't remember the couponing/rebate craze of the late 70's & early 80's, but I used to get groceries for me and my two kids for about $25 a week. It was work, I don't deny, and I had boxes and boxes of product boxes to get the rebate material from, but it was about an hour a night. I worked full time, or I would have done more. I had people saving all their packaging and coupons from the Sunday papers and flyers for me. Stores also had these great double and triple coupon deals too. I had to decide if I wanted to get a second job, or do that, and it really paid off. Of course, food was a lot cheaper then, and I had a house full of food stockpiled in every nook and cranny, but it was worth it.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:24 AM
WAHM Addict

I REALLY want to start couponing. And DSAldridge, I remember the coupon/rebate craze! My sister used to do it and I was always in awe of her. My problem here is that the grocery store that I shop at only allows 3 like coupons and they will only double those 49 cents or less. I know it can be done though. I also don't work outside the home so I would have time to do it, just not sure where to get all the coupons. They don't put them in the papers anymore. Oh and I am a binder fool! I would have to have everything organized in a binder all clipped and sorted. LOL My family laughs at me and all my binders!