Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > Work-At-Home Professions > Web & Office > Coders

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:23 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Medical coding/billing

Hi,
So I contacted someone yesterday on medical coders and billers. I thought it had something to do with like computer coding with html/css (:
but the academic adviser for Career step explained everything to me and it seems like something I would be interested in. I just want to confirm the things he said to see if its really like the medical/coding.
He said medical coders/billers make around 40,000-50,000 yearly but I read other places it was 30,000.That I could work from home, but I read that you should be a experienced coder to do that and have to set up your own clients. He said I could complete the course online at self pace in 4 months (fully dedicated) - 12 months. I would get the Ahlma certification which is the best certification I could get and once graduating they will help me find a job. the courses are 3,495 $ not sure if this is a good price either. I linked the website, has anyone ever earned this certificate through career step? Is this website trust able. I checked on scamadvisor.com it says its safe but I want to hear if anyone got a certificate through them. any comments or suggestions please leave below.
the website: Career Step | Medical Transcription | Medical Coding | Pharmacist Assistant
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2017, 09:24 AM
WAHM Regular

Default Career Step

I have heard Career Step endorsed on a radio program that I listen to sometimes. The host of the show is very no nonsense and I don't believe he gives endorsement without really having confidence in the company. It seems to be one of the biggest training programs for careers like Medical Coding. I used my local Technical College, and got certificates in Medical Coding, Medical Transcription, and Medical Office. These are certificates for taking the classes, NOT certification as a coder, etc. You have to take another exam from AHIMA or AAPC to be a certified coder or transcriptionist. I believe that if you use Career Step for your classes, these certification exams are included in the price of your schooling. Unfortunately, I have not been able yet to go on and become certified, but I do hope to so eventually. In the coding classes, you will probably also learn the insurance part of it, because a lot of the jobs are a combination of coding and billing. Hope this was helpful, and good luck to you!
Old 05-23-2017, 01:26 PM
WAHM Regular

Yes, the Dave Ramsey show endorsed the Career Step program a year or two ago. His show gives out a lot of good money management advice. In addition, Career Step is one of the few AHIMA-approved online Medical Coding programs so you know you are getting everything you need to pass the certification exams, either through AHIMA or the AAPC (many employers accept either). The Career Step medical coding curriculum was written by two top AHIMA consultants, and they have been educating medical office professionals for over 25 years. There are a lot of "cheap" programs out there that do not give you the comprehensive training you get from Career Step, so be wary. At the same time, Career Step is far cheaper and can be completed faster than going to community college (plus you can do it all from home). I would say the advantage of community college is if you need that in person experience when you are learning. But Career Step does give you access to teachers for questions and the portal is very user friendly and guides you through the process, they don't just throw all the info at you. And yes, once you are done with the Career Step program, the cost of their tuition includes a voucher to take a certification exam of your choice (worth over $300!)
As far as salary goes, it will vary depending on what region of the country you live in and if you work for a smaller practice or a larger healthcare management organization. There are some healthcare management organizations that hire newly minted coders and train them for work-from-home positions, but those are competitive. But you can definitely complete all your training at home.
Career Step at different times of the year offers enrollment discounts or free laptops when you sign up by a certain date. Right now they are offering $400 off tuition:
Career Step | Medical Transcription | Medical Coding | Pharmacist Assistant
Old 07-15-2017, 05:40 AM
Registered WAHM

Location: 22, IT Park, Opp. VNIT Campus, South Ambazari Road, Nagpur-440022 INDIA.
Default Medical Coding India

Ascent Business Solutions is a leading provider of offshore revenue cycle management services and medical transcription services to the US Healthcare industry. We deliver business impact through operational excellence - helping our healthcare clients improve their revenue, cash, costs, margins, speed, and customer relationships.

Medical Coding Companies India
Old 07-16-2017, 08:13 PM
Registered WAHM

This site has a lot of helpful information about becoming a medical coder:

Medical Office Careers
Old 08-18-2017, 08:05 PM
Registered WAHM

Try Grantham University. I just graduated from there and there Associate's Degree for Medical Billing/Coding is amazing! I LOVED it! Learned so much!