Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:48 AM
Registered WAHM

Question Need advice on starting my business

Hi, I have always wanted to have my own business and store that is my dream. My husband, kids and I had always lived in a big town in Alabama, I made car decals, kids tshirts and tutu skirts. I was doing pretty good and was working on growing my business, we had lots of stores that rented spaces out to crafters and a couple of places that was nothing but a whole store of crafters spaces. It was too expensive to rent a store so I was working from home and renting a booth and selling at our farmers market.
Then 3 years ago my husband decided to move us to a small town in South Dakota, he said it was a very business friendly place and would be good for the kids since the drugs and crime in our area was getting worse.
After moving here I tried to start my business back up but there were already 3 companies in this small town that made car decals and t shirts. I started thinking of other things I could make, everything I thought of or saw tutorial for there were already 2 or 3 established businesses, bath products, car air fresheners, applique outfits and shirts.
I also found out that stores here weren't as friendly as they were in Alabama. I would go in to talk to them about renting a space or doing consignment in the store, they were really rude, one lady told me that her customers come to her store to buy her products and only her products.
I tried some craft shows and didn't do well. The town we live in is a ranching and military town. I got into making mesh wreaths and wood signs, I did really well at 3 craft shows and started trying to grow my customer base, a couple of weeks later there were 10 people making mesh wreaths and 8 making wood signs, several of them were advertising their new spaces inside stores. We live way out in the country and I can't sell out of my home, it is too far out of town. My sales stopped because people could get the same thing from stores in town. I can sew pretty good so I started making tutu dresses and cute little girls dresses with matching hairbows. Around here people don't wear that kind of thing and don't have money to buy handmade clothing.
I have watched several people who were competing with me making the same things I was making get their things in local stores and then grow to their own stores along with doing wholesale and a good online business. Those people were from this small town and knew some of the store owners in town, have friends here and know a lot of the people here, so the store owners that I talked to would accept the other people's things because they grew up with them.
Now I am at the point where I don't know what to make and how to get my business going in this small town where you don't get anywhere if you are an outsider. My husband refuses to move anywhere else and we just bought a house here. I have tried for 6 months to find a job, but I don't have hardly any job experience because in Alabama I never had to work and I can only work certain hours because we have 2 kids in school and 1 still at home.
I want to make things, I am not good at mls like Avon or Mary Kay I have tried that and just wasted money on the kits. How do I get my things out there and not have to spend a ton of money doing it?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2019, 02:21 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Starting your business

Have you tried Etsy?
What about making a blog on word press and then posting your products.
There is EBay of course, and offerUP but that is usually for used items but I think you could still build a base from there. Then there is craigslist of course. I think you would find it to your advantage to market overseas maybe to? Try Denmark. Post in the forums on TheLocal.com in different countries .For clothes there is Poshmark.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:54 PM
Awesome WAHM

Due to being in a small town, you may want to consider online options -- such as opening up an ecommerce store for your products. At least you can reach others outside of where you live
Old 02-13-2019, 01:58 PM
Super WAHM

Sherry

Have you tied traditional mlm? No kits, no "parties" and no boundaries and really no startup costs?
Old 02-19-2019, 01:23 PM
Super WAHM

I agree with the others that suggested going online. I used to live very rural and had limited opportunities, so I started selling online on Amazon and eBay. It takes time to grow, but you can easily build a following using Facebook and Instagram. I have been selling online now for over 5 years and love it. For your type of products, I would look into selling on Etsy.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:06 PM
Registered WAHM

My first thought was Etsy too, but have you thought about joining Facebook buy/sell groups in your area? Also research local flea markets, festivals and consignment shops. Good luck to you.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:41 AM
Registered WAHM

Good start ups are always in trend.
Learn from your competitors.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:54 AM
Registered WAHM
Array

Hi there Sherry! I hope you're still around and viewing the excellent answers above! What comes to mind is that if you decide you want your own Website, a neat trick is to select some of the words people would use to find your product and test them on Google's keyword tool. (You'll need to sign up for a Google ads account, to use the tool, but you don't have to purchase advertising.) If a lot of people are searching using the phrase you've selected, that's a good sign. You may want to add or subtract words or come up with a different phrase. Then, once you're happy with that phrase, see if you can buy a domain name containing those words. If so, you're already off to the races with the beginnings of a Website that will get traffic! There's lots more of course, but hope this is helpful!
Old 07-22-2019, 01:03 PM
WAHM Regular

Yeah, be visible online instead of doing it the old fashioned way. The good thing with online, you can target audience in many different locations even world wide. This is only applicable though if you are considering orders from outside of your area and you have to do shipping and all. I, too, I am running my own online business and my reach is pretty amazing and I use social media as my marketing platform, it really helped a lot!
Old 08-14-2019, 12:36 AM
Registered WAHM

Hi,

We are made of ideas, meaning you can learn what business you can do online from us, we donít quote for ideas. We offer a wide range of solutions custom-made for your business needs. Our solutions are comprehensive, customizable with intelligent web security. We will be your web solutions backbone helping you undertake any native technologies. We deliver the best possible technical and support assistance in the industry. Check with Appkodes