Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:48 PM
Awesome WAHM

Default No Interest In Former Co-Workers - Need Advice

I have a friend who recently left her position about 7 weeks ago and is moving on to other adventures. She has no interest in keeping in touch with her former co-workers - several of whom have tried to contact her via e-mail and have left a few phone messages.

This might be a good topic for discussion on the WAHM board. If you have ever been in this kind of situation how did you handle it if you were not interested in keeping in touch with former co-workers ?

Please share your thoughts.

Pink Pea
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2016, 06:27 PM
Grand WAHM

I think it might be friendly to at least send an email reply back. You don't want to burn any bridges.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:06 PM
Awesome WAHM

Default Burning Bridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by danasurvey View Post
I think it might be friendly to at least send an email reply back. You don't want to burn any bridges.
My friend replied that sometimes we have to burn the bridges to light the way and she also said that sometimes we also have to burn the bridges to keep the crazies away.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:06 AM
Registered WAHM

That is a tough situation. I've found that typically if there's not a good relationship, common non-work interests, and foundation of friendship there already, most of those relationships tend to fade away naturally once you're no longer working together. (Sometimes they fade away even if you were good friends, without that constant work contact.)

When you really didn't get along with or like people you were working with, it might be more difficult if others express an interest in keeping in touch and it feels like communication is just dragging on awkwardly out of obligation. Even so, if you're polite in responding but don't go out of your way to initiate things, it seems that the situation almost always resolves itself fairly quickly without hard feelings.

I would caution that even if potentially hurt feelings doesn't seem like a concern (i.e. "I don't care about being nice to them. I don't have to deal with them anymore and I just want to cut ties."), from a purely practical point of view if nothing else it should be a concern. You never know in what context you may encounter people again or when you may need a business connection. If you can remain on at least decent terms wherever possible, it can save you a lot of pain and frustration down the road.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:36 PM
WAHM Master

If she didn't have anything in common with them outside of her job then I understand her not wanting to stay in touch with them.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:27 PM
WAHM Regular

Cool

I hate to sound like a downer or mean but me personally if I don't want to keep in touch with others it's probably for a good reason. It might be that she's ready to move on with her life and as you said she's looking to move forward into new adventures. Sometimes co-works are exactly what they are (the people you work with). There is a difference between friends and co-works and maybe she never promoted any of them to that level where she feels like she needs to answer their calls and messages a part from work related topics. Also it could be that she's just going through something and hasn't had the time to really reach out and maybe she will in time. Either way it goes in my opinion it's not a complicated situation. I've only kept in touch with those from my old jobs that I hung out with and called outside of work meaning we had more of a friendship. Maybe those looking to contact her should evaluate what type of relationship they had with her before she left.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:02 PM
Awesome WAHM

Thanks to all who gave their opinions on this topic.

Update: My friend has only returned one text message and all communications have finally stopped ... no more e-mails, texts or phone calls.

Moving forward, I am proud of my friend for her courage...and her honesty in not wanting to stay in touch with people she "used to work with." She has a bright future.

Thanks again for all comments and suggestions.

Pink Pea