Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:43 PM
Registered WAHM

Question Scam or Real?

Hi all. I'm brand new here and got here after a whole day of searching for any info regarding an online class for legal transcription proofreading. I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with proofreadanywhere.com or Caitlin Pyle? Is it real in that taking the course will actually lead to employment? Is there really a job called 'legal transcription proofreader' (not scopist)? Is there a need in that field? Really trying to determine the validity of this course before paying for something that leads nowhere.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2015, 09:09 AM
WAHM Addict

I sent you a personal message (pm) yesterday 11/11/15 but for some reason it doesn't show I sent you one.

You might want to post this on the Workplacelikehome forum and get more of a response.

Work Place Like Home
Old 11-13-2015, 12:29 AM
Registered WAHM

Googled her name and found a Business Insider article about her. But I honestly think it's a paid article. Who are these people who launch day one and suddenly have thousands of readers asking for help that they decide to launch an ebook to help them all at $897.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:26 AM
WAHM Addict

Two different thoughts here:

First: If this is working for a legal transcription company as a proofreader, your best bet would be to get information directly from some of them (there are quite a bunch that can be found online) in regard to what is required to get that type of job. I would think it might mean listening to the tape of transcription while reading what was typed and correcting errors in the transcript.

So, one of your questions is what do you have to do to get hired and ask if they will divulge the rate of pay. Legal transcription companies might pay the people doing the typing something like a half penny a word. I have not done this, but I wouldn't be surprised if the proofreader made less while required to spend whatever time necessary to correct errors.

Next: This expensive course sounds odd to me. I now assume you would do this as an independent business--where and how do you find work? This kind of thing seems strange because most legal types (lawyers) want their own admin. assists./secretaries, paralegals or junior attorneys to do that work. Legal work is confidential.

Unless you have a solid legal background and were a paralegal with experience, in which case you wouldn't need the course, I don't think I could recommend doing this.

I suppose I could be wrong, but you really need to know all about this before you even think to bite on this deal--do they have clients for you to work for and if so, are you guaranteed an adequate pay for your work?

There are many more questions, and you must do your own due diligence to investigate and deep digging to save you from making an incorrect decision--to do this or not do this.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:59 AM
WHAM Me You

I cant really tell if this is just a scam or
real.
Base on the website it self, i'm afraid
this is 90% scam, 10% real.
hhhhmmm
Old 11-20-2015, 06:57 AM
Registered WAHM

If you google you can find some free course.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:08 AM
PatronPool.com Founder

Arrow Scam's more like it

I agree with sarp's view. Nothing on internet can build up so fast unless it is manufactured.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:08 PM
Registered WAHM

I've been in the field since 2006 and am active within the field.

Most court reporters do not like how the graduates are over marketing to them for work.

The method that is being taught is NOT the main avenue of proofreading. Most
proofreaders have worked as scopists in the past using the CAT program and
proofread in the CAT program. Yes, we have plenty of work and can use
more well-trained scopists who eventually have the flexibility to scope and/or proofread.

That's all I can really tell you.

She has flooded the field with too many proofreaders looking for work.

Tags
courtreporterproofreader