Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:15 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Default Would you pay for this?

Hello! I am trying to find something that I can do from home without having to be on the phone. I am a certified personal trainer, certified group fitness trainer and online weight loss consultant. I had a baby so I am no longer able to do Personal Training. I can't be scheduling sessions throughout the day anymore...I have no more flexibility and I have to do it at the gym since I have a signed contract stating I won't compete against them. I was offering online weight loss consulting but a lot of the work is done on the phone. My baby cries a lot so that isn't working. ;( I need to do something (I only teach a few exercise classes a week at the time)....

When I was working as a Personal Trainer, I offered a little extra something to my clients. I was offering a Body Composition Analysis to anybody who would sign up with me. I own a professional scale that hooks up to my computer and it basically tells you how much muscle mass, body fat %, bone mass, and how much visceral fat you have. It also tells you what type of build you have and your metabolic age. Yes scales like this can be purchased at places like Wal-Mart but this isn't a cheapy like those. This gives you so much info along with a chart. It lets you know if you are on track, in the red or heading toward the danger zone (photo attached to see what I am talking about). I paid almost $1000 for the scale and upgraded software.
I am thinking of Offering a body composition analysis along with a consultation for $20. Since I have a background in health and fitness (and a degree in that area), I can give them advice on what they can do to lose weight, build muscle, etc. I can not offer personal training sessions since the gym I work at offers that so I would be considered competing against them. They do not offer a body Analysis so I would be able to do it at home. If I offer it at the gym, I'd have to split $$ so that means I'd have to up the price and I don't want to do that. I want to keep it affordable.

So I'd offer ONE Body Analysis with Consultation for $20.
OR they can purchase TWO for $30. The second one would be done 6-8 weeks later so that they can compare and look for changes (and hopefully there will be positive changes). As far as how reliable it is There is an +/- 1 percent variation.

What do you think? It will be done in my home. I'll start off with people I know to see how it goes. There is a space next to where I live where they rent office space but it's one of those per hour rentals. I can't pay until I start making money with this but it's an option when and if I decide to start working with people out side of my social group. Dont want strangers coming to my home with a baby!

I'm posting this in the fitness section to. Hope that's allowed. If not, I apologize!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chart.jpg (25.7 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2015, 05:05 AM
Registered WAHM

Does it cost you money to do the composition analysis? Otherwise, I would suggest you to use this as a lead magnet to build prospects for your personal trainer business. I say this because unless there are people who already know what composition analysis is and want to get it done, it becomes difficult attracting customers.

Alternately, you could tie up with a neighborhood fitness center and provide a "discounted" monthly analysis for their members - and you get paid by the gym for the number of people who sign up.

I think there is a market, but just that I am not exactly sure how you will attract them when they don't know they need this.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:08 AM
WAHM Addict

I sent you a personal message (pm) yesterday 11/11/15 but for some reason it doesn't show I sent you one.

You might want to post this on the Workplacelikehome forum and get more of a response.

Work Place Like Home
Old 11-12-2015, 01:14 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Sarp, it doesn't cost anything but I did have to pay for the scale, software, portable printer so total was about $1000. I was actually using it for my Personal training business but soon after I purchased everything, I got pregnant so I never made the money back for that. I can not do personal training right now because I have a baby so I am no longer flexible. Most ladies (womens gym) I worked with were only able to schedule in the morning to early afternoon. I have no babysitter so I can not do that anymore. At least not for now.
Thank You for your response! It gives me something to think about and I may have to do something else. I can't offer it at any other gym because I'd be considered competing so I'd lose my job. I really like the idea about contracting with my gym! I will definitely talk to my boss about it!

Cwoods333, Thank you for responding! I will be posting my question on the other board too!
Old 11-15-2015, 12:20 PM
WAHM Regular

I think there's a market for it - I think you may just struggle finding customers other than family and friends who already know and trust you.

Do you have a list of all your former personal training clients? Are you able to use that list without any issues with your gym?
Old 11-16-2015, 12:51 AM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugsmom View Post
Most ladies (womens gym) I worked with were only able to schedule in the morning to early afternoon. I have no babysitter so I can not do that anymore. At least not for now.I really like the idea about contracting with my gym! I will definitely talk to my boss about it!
I am not sure if you can do this, but you could try distributing flyers around your gym or your competitors - in the flyer briefly explain what composition analysis and how it helps with fitness. Ask them to give a call to book an appointment. You could reach several hundreds this way with less than $100 expense. It's probably worth a try.