Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:00 AM
Super WAHM

Default What is your Work at Home Lifestyle?

Working from home is a lifestyle and does not fit everyone. There are things which need to be taken into consideration before you start a career in your home office. What lifestyle changes have you all had to make when you decided that working from home was for you? What are some obstacles you had to overcome?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2015, 12:22 PM
Awesome WAHM

This is certainly a good question. Everyone should really look at their own situation and determine if working at home is good for them and will fit into their lifestyle. More importantly we should all look for things that we have a passion for. Things that will add more joy and happiness to our lives.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:05 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Before I had the baby, I had all the time in the world. I set a schedule and stuck with it. I had a list of to do items and worked on that. My goal was to get done before Hubby and my oldest child came home. It worked out most of the time. Along came baby who doesn't nap... I am still working on trying to sort it out. I've tried waking up early to get work done but I'm so exhausted (after waking up to feed baby) so that hasn't worked. Tried staying up late but baby goes to bed late so that hasn't worked. hahaha. I'm still learning and trying to figure out how to get everything done. One thing I did finally start to do is schedule posts on FB. I would right them up when I needed to post something but now I write up 3-5 posts at a time (when I get the time) and schedule it to post throughout the week. THAT has helped sooooo very much!
Old 10-31-2015, 06:04 AM
Awesome WAHM

I know it is hard with babies and their crazy schedules! I would just say that sometimes it is helpful to just "let it go" and not stress about getting it all done. You deserve some self-care time and believe me, even just a 10 minute "time-out" for yourself where you just even sit down and have a cup of tea or coffee and let your mind rest can really do wonders for that overwhelmed feeling! Try it, you will be amazed at what little small steps can do for you!
Old 11-03-2015, 12:59 PM
WAHM Master

I have a crazy schedule so I make a calendar weekly and try to stick to it .
Old 11-04-2015, 05:36 AM
Super WAHM

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccorrente View Post
This is certainly a good question. Everyone should really look at their own situation and determine if working at home is good for them and will fit into their lifestyle. More importantly we should all look for things that we have a passion for. Things that will add more joy and happiness to our lives.
Yes. It takes a bit of commitment and intestinal fortitude to make it work. Should you end up with a company that requires you to be on the phone with a quiet, distraction free, background, it can be difficult to get your family to separate work from "home." It is possible. I life the lifestyle every day! (I even cheat sometimes and come to my office for a break. I put my headset on and listen to music and surf the web. My family cannot see my computer screen but they see the headset and leave me alone! Sometimes there are OTHER benefits besides to your pocket!)
Old 11-04-2015, 05:39 AM
Super WAHM

Default Schedules matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugsmom View Post
Before I had the baby, I had all the time in the world. I set a schedule and stuck with it. I had a list of to do items and worked on that. My goal was to get done before Hubby and my oldest child came home. It worked out most of the time. Along came baby who doesn't nap... I am still working on trying to sort it out. I've tried waking up early to get work done but I'm so exhausted (after waking up to feed baby) so that hasn't worked. Tried staying up late but baby goes to bed late so that hasn't worked. hahaha. I'm still learning and trying to figure out how to get everything done. One thing I did finally start to do is schedule posts on FB. I would right them up when I needed to post something but now I write up 3-5 posts at a time (when I get the time) and schedule it to post throughout the week. THAT has helped sooooo very much!
Once you are able to get the baby on a schedule, it will start to simmer down for you. I found myself in your shoes when our youngest was born. I had a child care professional AND a pediatrician tell me that it was possible to get the baby on a schedule. It was difficult at first, but it worked! I began to get things done in 2 or 3 hours at a time instead of a few minutes here and there. I caught up on sleep and our youngest is the best one to ask about "mommy's work schedule!"
Old 11-04-2015, 05:40 AM
Super WAHM

Default Self Care should come first

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccorrente View Post
I know it is hard with babies and their crazy schedules! I would just say that sometimes it is helpful to just "let it go" and not stress about getting it all done. You deserve some self-care time and believe me, even just a 10 minute "time-out" for yourself where you just even sit down and have a cup of tea or coffee and let your mind rest can really do wonders for that overwhelmed feeling! Try it, you will be amazed at what little small steps can do for you!
I agree with you. You have to take care of yourself before you can take care of your family and work. Even ten minutes with a cup of tea staring out into the yard is better than nothing at all! it works wonders. Trust me.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:41 AM
Super WAHM

Default My calendar is my "best inanimate friend"

Quote:
Originally Posted by malea View Post
I have a crazy schedule so I make a calendar weekly and try to stick to it .
I carry a calendar pocketbook with me everywhere. I would be totally lost without it. While some may use the calendar on their phone, I find writing things down makes me remember them better. I try to schedule things carefully to ensure I have enough time for me and for work and family. It all about balance and the cornerstone of that is your calendar/to do list.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:22 PM
WAHM Regular

My biggest advice is carving out at least a small amount of time every day, and having a dedicated SPACE in your home for your business activities, even if it is the corner of your dining room, a desk in a spare bedroom, etc.

It always helps me get into the mindset of "doing business" when I am in the space that I have reserved in my home for business.