Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:53 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Disabled and can't do customer service - ideas?

I'm currently collecting SSI for a few mental health conditions. Constant - or even occasional - interatcion with people is something I can't do. I don't want to stay this way my whole life, and for the past six months I've been looking for work at home, so I don't have to deal with an office. I've gotten a flexjobs account and am looking all over the place for any paid work.

The biggest problem? Almost everything I can find that is entry-level is customer service, ie. talking on the phone. Which I can't really do. Even hearing the phone ring is bad for me. Jobs for the disabled even admitted that was all they didn't and the couldn't help me. I have no real work experience beyond a few short term retail jobs.

People tell me I can write, and I'd love to do it for a living, but I'm not sure I have what it takes, and a lot of those jobs seem to ask for experience. I've written books but I'm not sure if any of them are good enough to sell. I looked into medical transcription, because I'm interested in medicine and can type quickly, but every one of those jobs requires a training course I can't afford on an SSI check. I did get pre-accceped to one and tried to get my state voc rehab to pay for one but it ws a no go. Data entry would be easy but it doesn't seem like there's a lot of it available.

Does anyone have any ideas of something else I could do? I don't want to get SSI my whole life but my options are pretty limited.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2015, 06:22 PM
Awesome WAHM

Default don't give up your ssi

I know some people dislike the idea of collecting a disability check their entire life, it is rewarding to earn your own living, BUT, if you find something else to replace the income from ssi and you give it up, you risk the option of never getting approved for ssi again if things don't work out.

Not to be harsh, but you're going to have to "interact" with people for the rest of your life. If it causes you difficulty, just try your best to lessen the amount of interaction you have to do. Go to craft/vendor shows and resell a product. You only have to interact when they stop by to look at what you are selling
and while you are collecting their payment. Then peace and quiet until the next customer stops by.
(just a suggestion) I can point you in a good direction for finding a product you can sell at a price
you can afford to stock it for resale.

People do what they "have to do" to pay their bills. I walk to work in rain, sleet, snow, or ice
I don't want to but I "have to" I work at a "crappy" job. I don't like it at all, but I "have to put up with it"
If I don't make the effort, I don't eat - plain and simple.

Good luck to you in your quest
martin
Old 03-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Registered WAHM

What would be the initial investment in that? I don't have the slightest clue what it entails, but reselling implies that I'd have to spend something, and if it's too much that's a problem.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:34 PM
Grand WAHM

akeller1862,

There is a great writing section on this forum:

Transcription & Writing - WAHM Forums - WAHM.com

Since you are interested in writing, it would probably be worth taking a look through that section.

Some people also write for themselves. They write content for their blogs and sites and then find ways to monetize those sites/blogs.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:00 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Humanatic

I would try Humanatic. It's a legitimate company. doesn't require any financial investment to start and you don't have to sell anything. And I have actually personally worked it and have been paid. You won't make big time money and it takes some time to reach your first $10.00... but it could help you out a bit

www.humanatic.com
Old 03-15-2015, 04:48 PM
Registered WAHM

Thumbs up

Hey there, I'm new here and I hope I don't step on any toes.

Are you technical at all or comfortable enough to become technical? Is your SSI enough for you to live on currently?

I've got your same aversion to social interaction, not as severe but it's something I like to limit as much as possible and the same resume of retail jobs. One thing I've found recently is web development. I've found a great free resource at Theodinproject.com (I'd post a link but I can't yet...arg). I'm coming into it as a total novice and so far it's doing a great job of building up my skills slowly and surely. The FAQ says if you treat learning from the site as a 40 hour a week job you should be finished in 6 months to a year. Most people in the field don't have a degree and rely on their portfolios so even if you look to work remotely for a corporation after “graduating” not having a degree in CS or something wouldn't put you at a disadvantage. It's not overnight, but it's free and at the end you should have marketable skills to do freelance off of odesk or elance and a portfolio to back it up. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to conduct all business over chat or email since phones freak you out.

I'm not affiliated with the site at all and not terribly far into the program but I'll answer any questions you have.

Cheers,
Kris
Old 03-18-2015, 02:42 AM
WAHM Regular

Since you like writing maybe you should check out freelance writing. I tried it one time and I remember starting at about $5 an article. This was years ago when I was an undergrad in college and I recall making a considerable amount of "pocket change" for a college student. However, some people who really put the time in become very successful and handle bigger writing assignments where they can earn a living.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:15 PM
WAHM Regular

I'll bet your books are good enough to sell! Start with a free blog and just write your heart out...after you get some interest, I'd suggest selling your books on it. Remember, if this interests you, you must collect email addresses for future income. All the best!
Old 03-30-2015, 09:28 PM
Author & Entrepreneur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeller1862 View Post
I'm currently collecting SSI for a few mental health conditions. Constant - or even occasional - interatcion with people is something I can't do. I don't want to stay this way my whole life, and for the past six months I've been looking for work at home, so I don't have to deal with an office.

People tell me I can write, and I'd love to do it for a living, but I'm not sure I have what it takes, and a lot of those jobs seem to ask for experience. I've written books but I'm not sure if any of them are good enough to sell.

Does anyone have any ideas of something else I could do? I don't want to get SSI my whole life but my options are pretty limited.
I have been where you are. Several years ago I ended up with severe anxiety. I couldn't drive, couldn't go to the office, and eventually, couldn't even leave my house to check the letter box without having a full scale panic attack. My single biggest fear was interacting with people.

Thankfully, things got better, but I know it is not as simple as just "getting over it".

I have my own business now and after a lot of hard work and therapy, have been able to reduce my anxiety. I still work from home, and even several years later, could not stand to be surrounded by people working in an office.

Not only did I find ways to succeed working from home myself, I also mentored others that suddenly found themselves needing to work from home due to physical or mental illness, unexpectedly becoming the sole income earner for their household, or needing to earn extra income in order for their families to pay the bills.

I now own a book publishing and promotion business, and am also a writer myself. I would be happy to read through what you have written and give you my opinion, and also help mentor you so you can get back on your feet financially.

Just send me a PM and we can arrange to catch up on Skype