Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:42 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Default Online businesses...do they really work?

Is it possible to do business purely online and be successful (meaning that I will be able to find clients online and make some money...doesn't have to be much. Just something so that I can help people and keep busy)? The reason I ask is I am going to have a baby in March so I won't be able to work outside of my home anymore (Personal trainer/weight loss coach at a gym) except for maybe a few hours in the evening. I know a baby is going to keep me SUPER busy but don't want to completely let go of what I have built. My business at the gym was doing really well..and it felt good to be doing something for my family (all the money I am earning goes into an account that will be used to help my son go to college in a couple of years).
Because I am having a baby, I won't be able to get out much to look for leads. I will still be working at the gym for a few hours a week in the evenings as a group fitness instructor so I won't be able to advertise my online business to the members at the gym (I am working on coming up with ideas on what I can do with my experience...I don't want to Personal Train at home because of the baby and it would be considered competing against the gym for clients but I can still do Weight loss coaching since the gym doesn't offer that service...it was something I offered as part of the Personal training packages).

Do purely online businesses work? Any type of online business? I know it takes time to build a business. It took me 6 months to get my first Personal Training client and almost a year to get to where I am at now...not rich but doing pretty decent. It's not the money...it's the fact that I was able to build something from nothing. It was easier though because my clients are members of the gym so earning their trust was easy since we saw each other almost every day. They saw what I was doing and liked it so they put their trust in me...it's different with the online world.

Honestly, I have never been very successful with home businesses. I have tried before and failed. I think it was because the businesses I tried in the past were not anything I was passionate about....Fitness, health, weight loss...that's my passion. Helping people reach their fitness goals is my passion.

Last edited by Dugsmom; 11-29-2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: forgot a few words
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2014, 09:37 AM
WAHM Addict

"...not anything I was passionate about.." That is definitely key. I have no plans to do so, but if I ever left my company, there is NOTHING else I would like to do. I am passionate about the products I sell.

You should be proud of yourself for building your fitness business. Don't jump into anything without doing LOTS of research. Do whatever you can to stick with your passion. Don't allow anyone convince you that their business will work for you. Always check out 3rd-party sites to see what those outside the company say about it.

Good luck with your search.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:48 PM
WAHM Master

Yes it is ! You just have to be passionate about it and work. I think one of the biggest mistakes people make is thinking they can earn an income that way without working at it.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:53 PM
Super WAHM

Default Here's a thought...

First, congrats on the new baby that's coming along! ;-)

As far as business income goes, to stay within the realm of health/fitness, why don't you offer your clients a wellness product? That would make sense from the standpoint of not having to do/sell something that's outside of your interests and it utilizes your current contacts too. A network marketed product would be the best as they would sign up to get the product every month, thereby creating an ongoing income. Just my 2 cents!

Lori in NY
Old 11-29-2014, 03:15 PM
Super WAHM

I would agree with Lori. A network marketing business in the health and wellness business. (That might just have weight loss and energy and performance products).

If you haven't been involved before with this, it might just be the best way. I also don't see a conflict of interest with your current gym position, if anything it is perfect synergy, however I would go over the fine points with them first.

Good luck choosing and congrats.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:20 PM
WAHM Master

There are lots of businesses you can do from home online only if you wish, even the party plans, many offer online parties and you never have to do face to face parties unless you want too.

Have you thought about blogging/writing from the personal trainer aspect and give tips/ideas etc like that? Not going to be quick money but down the road it could be a nice extra coming in. Or as mentioned before, find a health/fitness product and sell it, it could go hand in hand with your business but don't let it ruin your business if that makes sense. I see lots of people who sell nutritional type products and they are over the top pushy and I believe that could turn away your clients if you're not careful.

Good luck in your search!
Old 11-29-2014, 08:25 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugsmom View Post
Is it possible to do business purely online and be successful (meaning that I will be able to find clients online and make some money...doesn't have to be much. Just something so that I can help people and keep busy)? The reason I ask is I am going to have a baby in March so I won't be able to work outside of my home anymore (Personal trainer/weight loss coach at a gym) except for maybe a few hours in the evening. I know a baby is going to keep me SUPER busy but don't want to completely let go of what I have built. My business at the gym was doing really well..and it felt good to be doing something for my family (all the money I am earning goes into an account that will be used to help my son go to college in a couple of years).
Because I am having a baby, I won't be able to get out much to look for leads. I will still be working at the gym for a few hours a week in the evenings as a group fitness instructor so I won't be able to advertise my online business to the members at the gym (I am working on coming up with ideas on what I can do with my experience...I don't want to Personal Train at home because of the baby and it would be considered competing against the gym for clients but I can still do Weight loss coaching since the gym doesn't offer that service...it was something I offered as part of the Personal training packages).

Do purely online businesses work? Any type of online business? I know it takes time to build a business. It took me 6 months to get my first Personal Training client and almost a year to get to where I am at now...not rich but doing pretty decent. It's not the money...it's the fact that I was able to build something from nothing. It was easier though because my clients are members of the gym so earning their trust was easy since we saw each other almost every day. They saw what I was doing and liked it so they put their trust in me...it's different with the online world.

Honestly, I have never been very successful with home businesses. I have tried before and failed. I think it was because the businesses I tried in the past were not anything I was passionate about....Fitness, health, weight loss...that's my passion. Helping people reach their fitness goals is my passion.
When you say online business, that could be many different things. That many an online E-commerce store were you sell products online, maybe an affiliates selling someone else products. I would suggest doing some research and see if there;s anything that will interest you. Building an online business takes time and dedication. More importantly, your mindset has to change, otherwise, you are bound to fail. Good luck on your search!
Old 12-01-2014, 12:43 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I think you've gotten great information here!! It's definitely possible to build a business online. I personally started a business in February and within 3 weeks I had 11 people under me. Now 10 months later I have 90 people in my downline. I have done 90% online.. All through facebook!! I'd love to help you how when you are ready.. feel free to PM me and I can help you..

I do pick up the phone once in awhile, but thats to help build my downline.

I believe the biggest thing you need is passion for your business opportunity!! Without passion for the products you have nothing!! I have someone in my downline who is due in January with her first baby.. she came to me because she wanted to use oils instead of pills while pregnant.. she became passionate about the oils because she realized she could use them throughout her pregnancy.. plans to use them during her delivery.. she can share them with other pregnant moms and then when the baby comes, she's excited to use the oils with the baby!! So her passion has truly shined through because she's passionate about getting her family healthy options!

Good luck! No matter what business you decide to choose.. I would love to help you with building your business online and giving you some tips.. PM me or contact me through my facebook pages..

Good luck!
Old 12-01-2014, 06:58 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post and for all the great advice and ideas! Newleaf, I stopped by your facebook page and liked it. Looks like a a lot of info on there that I can use!
Old 12-03-2014, 01:44 PM
WAHM Regular

Yes, they really do work...just like a brick and mortar business.

Although there is no commute or a need to rent space outside the home, the time you will need to spend advertising and marketing is key. You will have to learn to effectively market online, and offline, to drive awareness to your business being that you will be operating from your home.

You sound like you have an excellent handle on a niche in the health and wellness business. Finding a direct sales opportunity, an affiliate marketing opportunity, or creating your own again from scratch, would allow you to not have to start completely from scratch from a knowledge standpoint.

This truly may end up being an even greater opportunity for you, than you already have with just a bit of focused contemplation.

Congrats on expecting!

I wish you all best!