Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Super WAHM

Default Combining a couple ideas here

I think combining some of the ideas others have come up with may be the best fit... for instance continue to do the content writing, but join an established network marketing company and slowly work up to the income you want.

A party plan company doesn't sound like a good fit because of all the time you'd have to spend, but when you build a networking business it creates steady, residual income, which it sounds like you want. There are so many health/wellness businesses out there, and diet/health is such a popular topic, it would be a pretty seamless fit for you to join a business in that arena. Start-up costs are usually pretty low, and that investment can be made back quickly in most cases, especially if you have contacts interested in that area! Then you just continue to get the word out about your business until you've reached the income you desire.

Good luck in your search for the right thing!

Lori in NY
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2014, 11:53 AM
Nutrition Coach

Wow! I've been so busy working on my website that I haven't checked in here in a few days. Thanks everyone for your great advice and encouragement. There's still a lot I have to do to get things up and running. I am extremely anxious and nervous, but hopefully all will go well.

If anyone has any additional resources to help with my upstart (like the 4 hour work week -- thank you I will check that out) send them my way.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:06 AM
Author & Entrepreneur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillcrd0821 View Post
My husband thinks I could earn more if I had my own business. And when I say my own business, I mean my own start-up diet-focused home business (I'm a registered dietitian). But I think this would be more time consuming and risky. What I love about my writing gig is that I work on my schedule when it's convenient for me and it's regular, reliable money.

My question is, for all your at-home business owners, how much time do you put in and when? Do you sacrifice time with family or sleep? And, if you're willing, can you share your earnings, even if it's just earnings per hour?

TIA
For starting a new business from scratch you are looking at different time/money figures as you go.

The first 3-6 months are spent setting everything up, marketing the heck out of the business, networking, and landing your first few clients.

Generally the first 6 months requires huge amounts of time, and you receive little income.

The second stage of the business is 6-12 months, where you will still need to do some marketing, however should be getting a good reputation and gaining more repeat/steady clients. Generally this takes half as much time, and earns you an income that begins getting close to what you want.

The 12 month mark tends to be where you hit your stride, with about a quarter of the original time spent on promotion and admin, solid clients with more from word of mouth, and profit margins giving you an overall income you can be happy with.

If you can not, or do not want to, spend 12 months working your butt off to build the business, then that is not the path for you.

Whatever you do, the key is to stick with it. A great way to start is to set yourself a 30 Day Challenge, for example, in the next 30 days you will contact 30 new potential clients. Always make your targets measurable.

Good luck
Old 12-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie C View Post
For starting a new business from scratch you are looking at different time/money figures as you go.

The first 3-6 months are spent setting everything up, marketing the heck out of the business, networking, and landing your first few clients.

Generally the first 6 months requires huge amounts of time, and you receive little income.

The second stage of the business is 6-12 months, where you will still need to do some marketing, however should be getting a good reputation and gaining more repeat/steady clients. Generally this takes half as much time, and earns you an income that begins getting close to what you want.

The 12 month mark tends to be where you hit your stride, with about a quarter of the original time spent on promotion and admin, solid clients with more from word of mouth, and profit margins giving you an overall income you can be happy with.

If you can not, or do not want to, spend 12 months working your butt off to build the business, then that is not the path for you.

Whatever you do, the key is to stick with it. A great way to start is to set yourself a 30 Day Challenge, for example, in the next 30 days you will contact 30 new potential clients. Always make your targets measurable.

Good luck
I totally agree with this. About three years ago, I got totally feed up with mlm, 9-5 works and decided it was time to be my own boss. Problem was I didn't know what I wanted to do. I didn't want to go with just anything but something I love. Once I made my decision it was all about promotions. I'm currently in the 6-12 month phase and it's getting better. I'm getting repeat customers and so forth, so now I have just a lil more time to concentrate on other things. Having your own is the way to go, but if start up is too much for your to handle, work with an established company until you get your start up cost. BTW, I worked on my start up for over a year, but I did it.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:36 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Starting a business

Hello,
I am actually well on my way to starting a business. But also it keeps bugging me at the back of my mind that what if thought. Do you guys have any suggestion for a business starter for advertising and being successful. For those who already have a business, how long did it guys take you to be at a comfortable label(income wise). Thanks.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:02 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Isnt' the 4 hour work week about outsourcing the work? I found the book in the thriftstore and read a few chapters but wasn't too impressed. Maybe it's just me but I like doing the work myself (I live by the motto If you want it done right, then you have to do it yourself) plus outsourcing costs money even if it's cheap labor. It still costs and it will add up. That's just me. You may love the book.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:50 PM
Super WAHM

Default What type of business are you marketing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishnaks View Post
Hello,
I am actually well on my way to starting a business. But also it keeps bugging me at the back of my mind that what if thought. Do you guys have any suggestion for a business starter for advertising and being successful. For those who already have a business, how long did it guys take you to be at a comfortable label(income wise). Thanks.
Do you have product to move?
Is it an online product?
Can you ship to customers/clients anywhere in the country or globally?
Are you seeking "comfort" or "freedom" with your income goal?

Marketing a business is different for everyone and every type of business, just as the time it takes to establish and start gaining momentum is different for the individual.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:29 PM
WAHM Fanatic

I agree with going with your own business for long term profitability. And since you love writing why not target your advertising methods to utilize your amazing writing talents (facebook biz page, blog for yourself, your own business - giving your clients value through access to your 'expert' knowledge which you write about on your blog.)

Use your love of writing to promote through avenues like writing press releases thereby getting free exposure to your business through the local newspapers and online news sources.

Again combine your writing skills in writing short ads and posting to Craig's list and other local area sites to build your business. Hand written thank you or holiday notes are a personal touch appreciated by local customers.

I believe we often don't see any rhyme nor reason in life until bigger things come together. Maybe it will be by combing your unique talents and skills that will set you so far ahead - your competition won't know what hit them.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:43 PM
WAHM Regular

Default fear

taking the plunge and starting your own business is always the hardest step to take. once you have taken the first steps, the rest will hopefully all fall into place.
once you have worked for yourself and been self employed, you will never look back. the satisifaction that you get from working from home and being your own boss cannot be matched.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:14 AM
Awesome WAHM

Here is a thought on the starting a dietician-from-scratch home business part...

We have a gal on our team that is also a dietician/nutrition expert. I believe she is still working in that field, but as far as a home business, she has incorporated the Natures Pearl health products with her field of expertise and is helping hundreds of people with their health and nutrition while creating a substantial income as a home business.

Having a degree in dietician/nutrition is awesome as you can go so many directions with it as a home business - cheers to you!