Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:43 PM
WAHM Regular

Default How do you go about publishing an e-book?

Can you publish an e-book for free? I have no idea where to begin! I see that you can pay people to format it for you and I don't even know what that means
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2014, 02:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Lintz View Post
Can you publish an e-book for free? I have no idea where to begin! I see that you can pay people to format it for you and I don't even know what that means
Hi Stephanie,

I've published several hundred e-Books; some I've written myself, others I've outsourced.

The preferred route is via Kindle (KDP)

Everything is free. Here you go: https://kdp.amazon.com/
Old 08-28-2014, 06:07 AM
WAHM Regular

I really didn't believe it was that easy.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2014, 12:04 PM
Super WAHM

that is exactly what I was going to say...Amazon self publish all the way...works the same way for music, BTW.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Banned

I'm glad I was able to help, Stephanie.

I make it sound easy but the field is really quite developed nowadays and you'll encounter a rather steep learning curve. I remember it taking me days to get my eBook cover designed when I first started. If you'd like further advice, do feel free to post around WAHM. I'll find you and I'm sure others will help, too.

It's exciting, isn't it? Few things in life beat the feeling of taking something from your head, putting it on the page, and having people around the world pay you for it, justifying your hard work and creativity.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:01 AM
WAHM Regular

I've been writing and publishing ebooks for years (started in 2005) and it was only until about 18 months ago I finally went on the kindle as before that I was selling just on clickbank via my own website.

With the kindle the price per ebook that you sell for is lower (selling a $9 CB will go for $2.99) but they do the marketing for you and its set up and forget.

I have published over 200 on the kindle (all written by me) and now I am branching out and getting them all on the other channels - barnes and noble/ibooks etc.

And it is really easy its no worse that listing a book for sale on eBay!

For formatting if you submit in word its very rare you have any formatting issues to worry about.

I also use the kindle to post blog content (long series of blog posts) and also for my main products.

And for submitting it to the other places I use draft2digital.com and like amazon they only charge a commission of what they sell so there is no upfront fees. Avoid places like bookbaby as they are not the easiest to deal with and charge massive upfront fees.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:09 PM
WAHM Regular

Thank you all so much! Now all I have to do is run away and lock myself in a hotel for a weekend or so to get away from the kids and work in peace and quiet!
Old 09-04-2014, 12:49 AM
Registered WAHM

I have not yet tried publishing eBook. yet her I found some excellent information for my future.