Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:35 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Default New Mom to be needs business ideas!

We just found out that we will be having a baby...this is after 16 years of not being able to conceive (we have a son who is almost 17). You have no idea what a SURPRISE this is...we were not expecting or trying...we gave up years ago. We are very excited and can't wait for our new baby to come (in March).

I have been working outside of my home (fitness trainer...Personal training and Group Fitness classes) at a gym but once the baby is here, I am going to have to give up the Personal training and all my morning group fitness classes. This will leave me with 4 classes (one 5am class, one Sunday Class, and 2 evening classes).

My husband is retiring in 2 years so our income will be cut in HALF! During that time, my son will be going to college...and now we have the baby. So, I would really like to contribute financially. I know it takes time to build a business (I have had a couple of busnesses...a VA business which was doing ok but it wasn't for me and Real estate and property management but spent more time showing houses than at home with my family...) so that is why I am looking now. I would like to at least get something started before the baby is here.
I am not interested in direct sale companies. It may work for some people but I can not see myself making any kind of decent money from that.... That's just me. I would like to do my own thing. I don't need to get rich...I'm just looking for part time income and at the very least earn $500 a month.

Skills...I have secretarial skills (did lots of that for clients when I had my VA business and I sub at the front desk at the gym I work). Not really excited about going back into VA though.

I am a certified fitness trainer and have several years experience. I don't know what I could do with that though...I really can't compete against my gym so I can't offer in home Personal Training.

Honestly, I would like to do something that is baby related. Like maybe purchase wholesale baby clothes and sell those through a website or create something. I don't know if this is just a passing phase...you know, since I am pregnant and this has become almost an obsession.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2014, 12:08 PM
Grand WAHM

Congratulations on your miracle.

You should check out the telecommuting section of the forum. Work at home positions are posted there. Many seem to be customer service related. There are also other great sections to check out such as health related sections and a writing section.

You'll find lots of stuff here.

Last edited by danasurvey; 08-17-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:58 AM
WAHM Master

Welcome to WAHM This is a great place to find information on starting a business
Old 08-18-2014, 10:51 AM
Banned

There are plenty of ways for you to make money online using your established skills and knowledge. I'd recommend either a regular paying job, there are many available, or use your expertise directed toward affiliate marketing.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:29 PM
Super WAHM

What about project management or writing? I find lots of posts for people with a fitness background. What about an online fitness counselor? Just some thoughts.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:24 PM
WAHM Regular

Smile

Check out the telecommuting folder. There are lots of options there. You could also ask the small businesses in your area if they need office help that you can do at home (bookkeeping/advertising/etc).

Good luck and congratulations!!
Old 08-18-2014, 05:13 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Thank You all for all the great ideas and advice!!!! I REALLY appreciate it!
Old 08-20-2014, 03:27 AM
WAHM Regular

I thought I was the only one This is rather mad to find another!!!! I am 25 weeks pregnant with my daughter and my son turned 13 yesterday. I have been actively trying since he was born and it is also a nice surprise after a lot of heart ache.

Anyway I have been selling internet marketing services for years and now I am moving into be a full time weight loss blogger and consultant and with your fitness experience I would advise you do the same.

You could start a fitness blog, write fitness products, fitness videos and so on. There is a massive scope for it and there is a also a big need for fitness videos to get people in shape after the birth of a child. And to get the best results you could easily use yourself as the brand behind any products/services.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Banned

You're welcome, Dugsmom. We all need help to learn. I've been at this for years, but I love forums like this; you pick up so much useful info. Let us know how you get on!
Old 08-26-2014, 04:44 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Mwldream, Congratulations!!!!!! It IS definitely a blessing. I thought I would be really mad because I was starting a career and it was going well. We stopped trying a few years ago...then this happened and I couldn't be happier. I'm willing to give up everything to stay home with my baby.

Thank you to everybody again for all your advice! I am thinking of blogging. I have done it before but have never stuck with it. My last blog is still active (skincare) and I am still making money off it (from clicks on ads). I think this could work if I STICK with it!