Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:13 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Default My business idea...what do you all think?

Right now I have a weight loss consulting business which is doing better than I thought it would (considering that I just started it about a month ago). My clients are having trouble planning an exercise program and have asked me for help.
I have actually considered getting certified in personal training and group fitness so this is the best time for me to go for it . I am in the process of looking for a good school to get my certification and looking for a company that sells good insurance.
I am working out of my home and there is a studio where I can take my clients to for the consultations for weight loss but I don't have a place to hold the workout classes (I am thinking of concentrating on group fitness).
The idea I have is that I could offer mobile group workouts where I will plan a time and place to do the workouts...for example at a park, a business (if boss wants their employees to be part of an exercise program). We could move around to different parks, someones home if they want (as long as there are enough people to make it worth my time), etc. I would offer the classes 3x a week (2 different sessions on those days one for low impact workout and one for high impact) and I would charge a set price. Not sure how much to charge but price would be lower than a gyms since my overhead would be practically non existent and it would be month to month payments. The 3x a week at the park would be a set time and days but if you wanted me to go to your home to teach a class for you and your friends then we'd set an appointment for those days. Same with businesses...we can set a time for that.
I really want to aim my marketing efforts towards SAHM's, work at home moms, new moms...women
My question(s) are: Would you pay for a service like this where you'd workout outside or you could plan to work out at your home (in your garage) where you hire a certified trainer to teach the class to you and a group of your friends? and how much would you pay for a service like this?

Last edited by Dugsmom; 01-26-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2013, 04:58 PM
WAHM Regular

Pricing is a difficult subject, but something that I firmly believe is that if you price it, they will come. What I mean is that (to an extent) whatever you set your price at, you'll find clients in that price range.

There are personal trainers that charge hundreds for an hour of work, and there are trainers that offer their services for a few bucks. If you enjoy working with the clients you have now, then your price should reflect where they are in life and what they can afford. SAHM's are an awesome clientele, but setting your rates too high will probably alienate them from you.

I would suggest reflecting on who your clients are and what you need to earn to support yourself. The middle ground between the two are what you should set your prices at. For example, if you need to earn at least $100 from each group training and you'll have 5-10 people attending, then charge $10-15 a session per person.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:12 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Thank You so much for responding! I really appreciate it!
I don't think I will be charging too much for the fitness classes. Luckily hubby has a good job so I am doing this because I need to keep busy (my son is 15 and doesn't need me like he used to) and I want to do something for me...build something and prove to myself that I can do it. AND I Love helping people get healthy!
I was thinking maybe charging $5 per person per session but was wondering if even that was too much!?! The studio that I work out of for my consulting business offers Zumba (unfortunately I am not very good at Zumba so can't teach there) and they charge $5 per class. The problem is anything less than $5 would not be worth my time.
Right now the people I am working with are realtors (I was a realtor so these are people I know) who work from home but they are super busy and not sure the set times would work for them. One realtor is hiring me to be her personal trainer (but I told her she'd have to wait until I certify). I really want to work with SAHM's and WAHM's (the ones who actually work from home and not the ones like realtors who are out all day with no time to do much of anything at all.

Last edited by Dugsmom; 01-26-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Awesome WAHM

I think it's a great idea! I would think a wahm or sahm would love the personal attention in a more private setting. And who doesn't like working out with their friends? they help hold each other accountable!

You just need to consider the "little ones" too. What are the moms going to do with their kiddos? Maybe if they home school, the older teens could watch the little ones. Perhaps moms could just donate $1-$2 per child per hour to the care giver. (Teens love making extra money...) .

When do you think you'll get your license? Do you think you'll need equipment? Or would it just be more aerobic?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:27 PM
WAHM Regular

$5 sounds like a great price, especially if that's what other classes are going for in your area.

There are a ton of different options to get certified as a personal trainer, most of them are correspondence courses too. I would check with a local gym and see what types of certification they accept, and then find a program that's a good price and will get you trained up.

After that, the biggest thing is marketing the heck out of what you have to offer! It's awesome that you've found something that you love doing and you have a sincere desire to help people get fit. I'm sure if you let your personality and passion shine through, you'll be successful
Old 01-27-2013, 06:46 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Workathomeinfo, Great idea! I hadn't thought about who would take care of the little ones! that may be a problem...unless like you said I could find a homeschooled teen.
I'm going to spend this week researching and writing a business plan. I am hoping to get my certification within 3 months. I was looking for a place where I could get certified locally but there aren't any except for the university but I hear it's not a good cert. so I will have to take an online course. The gyms I have talked to certify their instructors themselves (Les mills certification for one gym, 3 other gyms had their own certification that can only be used at their gym).
I am thinking of starting out with bootcamp and kickboxing classes and if I can generate enough business then I'd add other classes like weight lifting (like Bodypump type classes. It is sooo addicting). I will be purchasing floor mats, resistance bands, and hand weights but not any big equipment because it would be impossible to transport and unload and too much of a hassle.
Thank You all for your feedback! I am really excited about this and if it doesn't work well at least I gave it a try. I'd hate to look back one day and regret not giving it a try.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Super WAHM

Great idea!

I believe convenience is key and people love to be in an environment with other people.

There are many Zumba instructors having Zumba parties to and going to people's home and community so your idea isn't too far from it so I say go for it!

I am friends with a personal trainer on FB and she said before she could afford her own studio she would take clients to the park and public places.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:58 PM
WAHM Master

I would totally pay for a service like this. I would want a trainer to come to my home gym where I have all the equipment and accessories needed. For the last year or so I have had an online personal trainer ($50 for an 8 week plan).

I would charge way more than $5, you are worth a lot more. Do some research on prices before setting a fee.

Sounds like fun! I was thinking of starting a weight loss accountability program since I do not have a certification I didn't feel I could consult without doing a lot to cover my butt.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you decide. Happy to share your info on my weight loss/fitness blog too. If you don't have a blog already, I highly recommend that.

Sounds like fun!
Old 01-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugsmom View Post
Workathomeinfo, Great idea! I hadn't thought about who would take care of the little ones! that may be a problem...unless like you said I could find a homeschooled teen.
......................... I am really excited about this and if it doesn't work well at least I gave it a try. I'd hate to look back one day and regret not giving it a try.
But leave the childcare up to the moms to figure out, unless you happen to know a trustworthy teen you could bring with you. You'll have enough to coordinate and think about as it is.

I agree that $5 per person is too little, but i guess it depends on how long the session it. It you had a set cost per hour, perhaps the moms could invite THEIR friends in order to lower the cost per person. Of course, depends on their space available etc...

So excited for you! I agree, never know unless you try.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:49 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Thank You all so much for all the encouragement and advice. You pointed out some things I hadn't thought of so I've got a lot to do before I get started. I may not be able to officially start until this summer because I don't want to rush anything and end up making mistakes. I'm really excited about this.
I will update you all once I get started.