Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 PM
Registered WAHM

Default Advice for selling/working online?

Hello, I'm a late thirties male with a poor history at work. I guess I put off a bad vibe and for whatever reason people don't want me working with them. I'm apparently the problem since it's happened again and again, but I haven't seemed to work out how to fix the situation. I've been trying to work out alternative ways to make a living, and I thought I would try this site in spite of the fact I'm male.

I guess I'm having a difficult time finding and applying my strengths. For example, I thought I'd try building gaming PCs. The market seems pretty thin, and profit margins seem extremely thin. I've bought some parts at low prices and built a few PCs out of recycled parts, but I've gotten little interest. It seems like people on craigslist want to buy at half price to flip and sell on Ebay, and Ebay's fees cut into profits so deeply it's not worthwhile. Add to that the fact there's already a lot of competition and it's a difficult market to get into. I'm not a good salesman and it all starts looking like a dead end.

This all has me wondering, is buying and flipping one of the only ways to make money online? Are there legitimate work at home jobs for someone who doesn't have a lot of faith in their skills but is willing to work on them? I've looked through a lot of the want ads on this site and most of them call for some sort of certification or the other. I honestly don't think I have the money or faith to go out and get them. I've spent money on 'education' in the past and it seemed to hurt me more than it helped me. I'm hesitant to throw good money after bad now.

I need to make an income, but I'm short on skills/ideas. I'm not looking for anyone's secrets, but I'm wondering if there's something out there for someone that's willing to grind out a living. I just don't think I could do it buying and flipping.

Last edited by Disenfranchised; 01-21-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 06:25 AM
Theresa Wilkins

What other skills do you have? There are TONS of ways to make money online, but you have to figure out your niche and in the meantime start off with what you already have skills and experience in.

I have been a virtual assistant for 7 years now. I started off doing telemarketing (yuck!), then went on to other phone work, data entry for literally like .03 cents a record (comes out to $4-6 an hour depending on amount of data) and eventually working my way up to being Executive Assistant to CEO's and Presidents of company for $15 an hour.

Today I do very little VA work and have moved on to network marketing because I strongly desire the freedom it gives of not having to sit at this desk all day long and it produces far more income.

There are surveys, VA work, webmasters, voice overs, customer service, drop shipping....SO many ways to make money online! Keep looking!!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Grand WAHM

I think it's important to find a niche this is profitable and something you enjoy. For example, I did a lot of searching initially and fell into the niche of free money making opportunities. It's been my niche for over 6 and a half years now and I still love what I do!

Try a few different things. See what you like. And see what pays off.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Registered WAHM

As sickly as $4-6 an hour sounds at least it would be something. Data entry at least gives me something to look into short term.

Is there anything else like that? I'm willing to work for low pay at this point.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:16 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Affiliate marketing, blogging, creating websites are ideas that you might be able to do. Many of these options can take little to no invest to get started with.

You could also look into content writing and transcription if your typing skills are good.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:01 AM
Awesome WAHM

Is there anyone you've worked with recently who will give you an honest answer about why "people don't want you working with them?" I think you need to know if it will have a negative impact on an online job as well. Until you know what it is, you won't be able to overcome it.

You also need to try and focus on your skills and boost your confidence. You are understandably unsure of yourself right now and that also makes it hard to find something you can do.

There are plenty of ways to make a decent living working for yourself. First you need to figure out what you can do and how to do it. There are always obstacles, but many people overcome them, and you can too when you recognize your abilities.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 AM
WAHM Regular

Location: Texas - I wasn't born here, but I got here as fast as I could.
Default One more thing..

Just noticed your title "Disenfranchised"

Really?

THAT needs to go.

Your only "disenfranchised" is your attitude about it.. and you need to toss it out the door if you want success.

darlene
Old 01-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Theresa Wilkins

Default Where to get data entry/other work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disenfranchised View Post
As sickly as $4-6 an hour sounds at least it would be something. Data entry at least gives me something to look into short term.

Is there anything else like that? I'm willing to work for low pay at this point.
Go to Elance.com and Guru.com - those are two sites that I've worked with the most. They both work like Ebay where you bid on work or "projects". If you win the bid you need to do the work well and within the time frame you said you would. Then the client will rate you - and you them (for quick payment, clear direction, etc.) and once you build up a reputation you can start bidding on better jobs and earn better money.

Both have free memberships and you will see that Elance has their cut built into your bid. So like when I bid $15 an hour the client gets charged something like $16.22 (which they know up front) and so the $1.22 per hour goes to Elance as their cut. On Guru you need to figure in 10% of what you bid will go to Elance. When you have paid memberships they take less. If I work a long term project I will try and work with them for 2 weeks through Elance/Guru and then arrange to work for them outside of those sites and get paid via PayPal as PayPal takes less of a cut when you get paid that way. Usually works out quite well.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:01 PM
WAHM Addict

I understand that you're concerned that no one seems to want to work with you, and you don't know why. How about if you instead look for what you know is good about you and build on it? Everyone has some good and some bad in them. Most of us do all we can to put our best foot forward, and most of us are likeable. I'll bet you can be too.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Registered WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindastacy View Post
Is there anyone you've worked with recently who will give you an honest answer about why "people don't want you working with them?" I think you need to know if it will have a negative impact on an online job as well. Until you know what it is, you won't be able to overcome it.

You also need to try and focus on your skills and boost your confidence. You are understandably unsure of yourself right now and that also makes it hard to find something you can do.

There are plenty of ways to make a decent living working for yourself. First you need to figure out what you can do and how to do it. There are always obstacles, but many people overcome them, and you can too when you recognize your abilities.
The last place I worked was 125 miles away, and it was short term. I don't have anyone's contact information. I moved back to an area I'm more familiar with, so I could try to live inexpensively. Anyway, I don't think I'll be getting any info from them.

I have a tendency to keep to myself which is apparently a HUGE problem. I'm there to do a job, and everyone else seems to want to be part of a community. I also have a tendency to put up decent productivity numbers, and people seem to like to find reasons why they're invalid. I actually had my last supervisor say that the only reason I was productive was because I 'ran around like I was on crack.' That may be it in a nutshell, though. I like to stay busy or I get bored. I've noticed that the busier I stay the faster the shift goes by. People really seem to resent the fact I'm productive, though. I heard him utter the word 'freak' under his breath. What bothers me is that if I slow down and put up poor numbers I'll never get hired on permanently, although it seems like they generally don't have any intention of hiring me on anyway. I can't win.

So, if my co-workers and supervisors are uncomfortable working around me I thought it would be in everybody's best interest for me to work from home.