Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:47 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Default Online business ideas....please help

I am looking for online business ideas. My list of possibilities include: virtual assistant business, transcription, restaurant review website (idea my husband has been playing around with for YEARS).

I would like to expand that list and decide from that.
I am a pretty good typist, have done transcription in the past (lectures years ago), I am assisting colleagues (I am a realtor but no money since economy is bad so I am helping the top earners right now and I assist a property manager in my office. I am trying to get out of that business because I spend too much time out of the home).
I homeschooled my son so I can teach...maybe online English to people wanting to learn English? Do you need some kind of license to do that?
I have a degree in biology...not sure what you can do with that (wah).
I am open to selling stuff online so if you have a business idea that I could do online, please let me know! I am willing to look into stuff like Avon, jewerly businesses, etc. as long as I can do it exclusively online AND I don't have to invest a ton of money. Willing to invest some though. Also, would rather not carry any products. I'd prefer the company ship them out for me (no extra storage space here at home).
I like to read, make jewelry when I have the time, and exercise. Not interested in teaching yoga, pilates or doing anything like that...too much of a liability, imo. Unless I work for a company but I want to work from home so that wouldn't work.

I can not do Web design, accounting, bookingkeeping, create flyers. I am colorblind (can't distinguish between tones of color) so home staging (because colors look the same to me), creating flyers, web design or anything that depends on color would not work for me. Unless a business that already exists already has sets put together (then I wouldn't have to worry about matching stuff).

Thanks everybody!

Last edited by Dugsmom; 10-19-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2011, 03:27 PM
WAHM Master

The restaurant review site sounds intriguing (free meals for reviews, sell ad space, travel...). I would recommend affiliate marketing whether it's the restaurant site or some other passion of yours. You could work on building that while making immediate income through work as a virtual assistant.

Do you enjoy writing? Are you familiar with social media? I would say if you go in as a virtual assistant, chose a specific niche that you are good at and promote that.

And I'll tell you, it's really tough to build a direct sales/network marketing business online only. Sure there are a few doing it BUT it's not easy. Don't let anyone tell you different. And don't get me wrong, both are viable opportunities however they are made for networking locally.

Just some of my thoughts.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Awesome WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugsmom View Post
I am looking for online business ideas. My list of possibilities include: virtual assistant business, transcription, restaurant review website (idea my husband has been playing around with for YEARS).

I would like to expand that list and decide from that.
I am a pretty good typist, have done transcription in the past (lectures years ago), I am assisting colleagues (I am a realtor but no money since economy is bad so I am helping the top earners right now and I assist a property manager in my office. I am trying to get out of that business because I spend too much time out of the home).
I homeschooled my son so I can teach...maybe online English to people wanting to learn English? Do you need some kind of license to do that?
I have a degree in biology...not sure what you can do with that (wah).
I am open to selling stuff online so if you have a business idea that I could do online, please let me know! I am willing to look into stuff like Avon, jewerly businesses, etc. as long as I can do it exclusively online AND I don't have to invest a ton of money. Willing to invest some though. Also, would rather not carry any products. I'd prefer the company ship them out for me (no extra storage space here at home).
I like to read, make jewelry when I have the time, and exercise. Not interested in teaching yoga, pilates or doing anything like that...too much of a liability, imo. Unless I work for a company but I want to work from home so that wouldn't work.

I can not do Web design, accounting, bookingkeeping, create flyers. I am colorblind (can't distinguish between tones of color) so home staging (because colors look the same to me), creating flyers, web design or anything that depends on color would not work for me. Unless a business that already exists already has sets put together (then I wouldn't have to worry about matching stuff).

Thanks everybody!

Are you looking into opening an e-commerce store? Once you have an idea on what product to sell, it can be rewarding. Network marketing is also good but you gotta have a passion on the product. Good luck on your search!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Mad Scientist

I agree with Fong, for network marketing, you have to find something you really love. I've tried a couple and eventually found my calling with Watkins. Our seven month old is very sensitive to fragrances & chemicals so all we use are the natural based cleaners Watkins carries. I use their products every day and I recommend them to everyone - not just because I sell them but because they work, they're affordable, and I admire the rich history Watkins has come from. I also can't speak highly enough of the support from my team & from Watkins itself - it is truly superb.

Watkins can be done online entirely but it would be a lot of work in my opinion. I make most of my sales by talking to people and showing them catalogs or products I may have on me for my personal use.
In my sig are links to check out our catalog & one to check out info about the business opportunity. Please check them out if you are so inclined.

No matter what you do though - find something you like or an area you're interested in & research like crazy, ask questions and then research some more! Passion, belief and standing behind your products 100% is what sells it for you.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:54 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Thank you so much for the response to my question!

Angie, we were thinking the same thing about the review site...offer free meals, give away shirts with our review site address on it, leave a card with our review site on table: **** was here, get car magnets, etc. and once the site got popular we'd sell ad space. We hired my brother in law to design our website but that was about 8 months ago and he never started it! I think we could do something with the idea.

I have looked into virtual assisting. I am already assisting a couple of Real Estate agents (one is a property manager) in my office and I do most of the work from home. So I would definitely specialize in Real Estate.

If I can't do direct sales online, then I am not interested. I don't know a ton of people here in town. all my family and friends live 10 hrs away and I am not good at trying to sell to complete strangers. Unless they call me first asking about the product.

Fong47, ecommerce may work for me. It's trying to find the perfect product to sell that overwhelms me. I wouldn't want to store any products here (no space) so I'd have to look for a dropshipper. Affiliate marketing would work better for me...just need to find that perfect product. I actually do have something I LOVE and would like to sell but I don't think the company has an affiliate program. Or maybe I just can't find it online. I found other companies with the same product (just different name) but I don't know how good their product is compared to the one I have used. I don't want to market something I don't believe in.

Breena, Thanks but I already have a mylot account and it's impossible to make any money on there. I spent many hours on there answering posting and I am still under $10! And that was years ago. lol

Safre, Watkins products are awesome. I looked into joining them a few years back but we moved a lot so I decided not to after all. Right now, I have so much going on so I am looking for something that I can do online.

Thank You all so much for taking the time to help me. I am leaning towards the review site and maybe do some virtual assisting on the side till the website gets going.