Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Registered WAHM

Default 18 Year Old College Student, Need Work Ideas!

Hey there everyone! So I'm not a work at home mom, but rather an 18 year old male college student in Florida! I don't have previous job experience and have been trying like crazy to find a job around town, but with my weird schedule, I just don't know if it would work out even if I could find one. So I got the idea of doing some work from home on my laptop, and have been trying to do some research on what opportunities there are for people like me who are in need of some sort of income. I am not desperate for a large salary, I am really just in need of some sort of income to be able to pay for luxuries and such, and working from home seemed like the perfect solution given the fact that my most productive hours are very late at night.

Anyway, I am a complete newbie to working from home, and looking for some solid advice as to what sites I could visit that may have part time opportunities for an 18 year old looking for work. I am extremely handy with a computer, and I catch on to things pretty quickly, so my mind is pretty open as to what kind of work I can do. Some suggestions of websites that I could visit and a brief description of what they entail would be absolutely wonderful!

Thanks a lot!
Alex
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2011, 01:41 AM
WAHM Regular

Hi Alex!

I think the forum here has dozens of great ideas. If you can identify some of your strengths and preferences, then look through the forums and see what catches your attention... maybe something will connect for you. So many other sites are about advertising, so I like this one for getting a real feel for what people are actually doing day to day. Ask more questions, click around... take some time to get familiar with the WAH scene. (It's not just for moms )

Your fellow night-owl,

Lynn
Old 10-13-2011, 10:16 AM
WAHM Addict

Hi Alex,

This site has tons of great ideas for jobs from home and business opportunities. Although I love to see young people start out life with their own home business and never have to work for anyone in their lives, it doesn't happen too often - unless they have some kind of income.

Check out the Telecommute forum for ideas. Those area actual jobs that you work at home. Read the posts and contact some of those participating in that forum.

Best of luck.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Awesome WAHM

Hello Alex,
I admire your goals at such a young age. Good For You!

As been said before, you can find so much in this forum and if you're looking for something within your local area and if you're having a hard time finding a job like most people, then I would start with doing volunteering jobs in the company of your choice.. this is a great way to get your foot in the door and get more experience

Good Luck,
Old 10-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

and lets not forget....

Welcome to the forum!

Bonnie
Old 10-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Super WAHM

Smile 18 year old college student

Hi Alex I have sent you a private message. Regards Cheri
Old 01-29-2019, 06:24 AM
WAHM Fanatic

You should look into teaching online. A few of the higher paying companies require a degree but I know Qkids will hire you as long as you're in school . Research the companies before applying. Qkids, I believe, provides lesson plans while other companies will require you to create them (which, imo, would be VERY time consuming and stressful).
I've never done this type of work but I hear the pay is great and it's fun.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:57 PM
Registered WAHM

Default College student advice

Hi Alex,

One of the most important things to do while in college is to apply for internships, and volunteer work or jobs in your field of study. You need to start building your portfolio now. Good places to find remote positions or internship positions are this site, flexjobs and virtual vocations. Start blogging about things you are learning in your field of study. Keep all projects you do in school in a portfolio and a list of all classes and descriptions of classes. Look up employers through the internet that interest you, ask if they have remote positions or paid internships. After you start getting experience keep up with a resume. If it is an actual job try not to jump from job to job. Get referrals from your teachers recommending you for work in your field of study. Keep all of this in a professional binder for when you graduate. Also get some personal non family references. Try to not have gaps in employment, if you do, pick up some sort of volunteer work and put it on your resume. I know this all sounds daunting, however having these things will put you ahead of other class mates in the end it is more professional and good business practice. After you graduate put all diplomas honor certificates and if you are eligible register for honor programs. Any deans list certifications too. Make sure you keep all this on your job hunt and to prepare for your future graduation. Good luck! I wish you the best!

P.S. One more thing, if your college has toastmasters offered take it. It is really good on a resume and out of college it is very expensive. It teaches you how to professionally speak and carry yourself. I think the class runs $2500 and up out of college. Some colleges offer it for free or a very low fee.

Last edited by Whisper28; 01-29-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:12 AM
Registered WAHM

Don't search for ideas.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:48 AM
Registered WAHM

I recommend something to look at the university. Laboratory assistant or assistant teacher. And then there is the option of a freelancer

Tags
college, eighteen, student, suggestions