Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:16 AM
Awesome WAHM

Default Why are people Afraid of selling?

I've replied to several posters here that seemed desperate to start their own business. Not one has replied to my emails or private messages.

I even offered one poster a free business. I'd even pay the postage to send her saleable items that I have
extra of that I was discontinuing...no responses.

Sitting on your hands doing nothing about your situation, is not going to pay your bills.

Don't invest money you can't spare, but don't expect to earn an income without trying

just had to vent a little. Good luck to all of you looking for your own business

use PM to the hilt....talk to others....ask questions....be honest in your replies

We wahm's and wahd's do enjoy helping others

martin
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2011, 10:08 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Default Afraid to Sell?

I'm not sure but it's true that it takes a special person to excel in sales. That's why Sales are often some of the highest paid positions within big corporations - because they are key to business yet good ones aren't a dime a dozen.

And with so many choices to choose from when looking to work at home, there's going to be a lot more mismatches out there than perfect matches for work at home job opportunities.

I would think you'd get some good bites sooner or later if you keep persistently promoting down in the "Wamh's in Sales" folders and in the Advertise Biz folder. (just might not be today)
Old 03-27-2011, 03:39 PM
WAHM Regular

Location: Texas - I wasn't born here, but I got here as fast as I could.

I agree with the comment above. It takes an extra something to become successful in selling. It's just scary because you invest your time and money to something that you're not very sure will succeed. I guess it takes a lot of guts, determination, and motivation to get into this business.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Awesome WAHM

I think it's no so much a fear of selling as it is a fear of becoming the stereotype of the "pushy" salesperson.

I know exactly what you mean about people seeming "desperate," but then having reason after reason why they can't do any of the things people suggest. But I also wouldn't make the assumption that because they don't take you up on your offer, they aren't going to do anything. Maybe they just aren't interested in selling that type of product. And sometimes people aren't desperate enough to jump in and do something; they are still looking for the "easy money." They'll eventually learn that it doesn't exist and then they'll be more open to suggestions. As msuggitt said, if you keep promoting in the right places, sales people will come to you.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:58 PM
WAHM Master

See now I would look at that as spam if someone private messaged with their business opportunity unless of course they asked for someone to contact them.

Most are here just to get a feel for what's out there and if they are interested in what you have, they will contact you. Just my opinion of course
Old 03-27-2011, 06:53 PM
WAHM Regular

I have tried to help people who seemed, to me, desperate to work. I've actually paid start up fee's to those who couldn't afford it. ( Big mistake - this is a sure fired resentment in the making)
I've decided to hear people by their actions not their words. Saves me a lot of time. The people who have contacted me through forums have 95% of the time come through my signature. I have very rarely been contacted via private message.
good or bad ? who knows.
Just my two cents for the day
Jan
Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Registered WAHM

I think most of the people here on the internet don't deliver what they are claiming and thats the reason why people have now , no faith in the emails or PM. Over the years the internet has become a mere deceiving source as there is nothing true over here.

work

Last edited by Peytonn; 08-07-2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Super WAHM

Excellent comments here. Fear of failure and the unknown are a couple reasons people quit. Another is the amount of information out there...it's easy to get information burnout and end up not knowing what to do. I've found that it's best (for me) to concentrate on one business or one aspect of a business, master it and move to another aspect or another product.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Super WAHM

Perhaps it's lack of desire, lack of passion, fear of not being good at it...

What I've come to learn is it's fear of approaching prospects (what if they don't like what I have to say? what if I mess up?) and being rejected. Without the knowledge of how to handle objections (or concerns, as I rather call them) a person new to selling isn't going to get very far.

Selling comes naturally to some people, but requires work, dedication and commitment to fine tuning the skill for others. Just like anything else, it's a skill set to be learned, tweaked, fine tuned depending on what you're doing. If their desire is there, their situation is bad enough and they need to make a change, they'll commit, dedicate themselves... but without the desire, there's nothing to drive them to do it.

Before I read Go For No! and sat down with a couple leaders in my organization to learn the kind of -bull- they had to go through to get to their rank now, I probably would have quit my business. It's a learning process in not only getting to know what drives people to do what they do, but also to not get emotionally attached, how to shift your mindset.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:40 PM
WAHM Regular

Default Why are people afraid of Selling??

This is an easy question to answer-people are afriad of being REJECTED. Think about it for a moment. Every single WAHM or WAHD on this forum, is here because of the business system, model, product and/lor service that everyone on here is pitching to a wider net of fish..(newbie customers et al).

If everyone is completely transparent and honest with themselves, everyone is hopeful to make a sale, selling something, or to obtain a lead or two or three. This is just like the years ago AMWAY presentation meetings, with the blackboard, drawing circles representing people that you recruit into the matrix system, that everyone body had heard of, and shys away from.

The problem is not in the selling that has put people off, but in its approach.People approach sales and recruting people as an end all, when people should first be thinking of creating the relationship first that precedes any sales you could ever hope to make.

I belong to several online marketing forums, here, honest work from home forums, and SBI forum, that I belong with, and SBI we disuss the same issue in depth, in that you must cultivate your visitors and would be customers in the relationship buliding process. Relationship building before Revenue counting. Everyone is so worried and concerned by their own respective bottom lines, that it is sale baby sale, when you should be concentrated first on building and nurturing the relationship building first.

Especially in a bad global economy we are all in, we all need to take time not in selling but in cultivating the relationship first. People are put off to the fast talking pitchman or woman in buying this product and/or service.

The bottom line, people don't CARE how much you know, until they know how much you CARE.

Best-

Wayne