Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Registered WAHM

Smile Soon to be New Stay at Home Mom

I am about to start staying home with my 18 month old because the lady who watches her for me while Im at work is moving out of state. I still need to contribute some kind of income to the household, does anyone have any tips on how I should start?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2010, 01:29 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Congratulations on venturing into the world of the stay at home mom!! I would say you're in the right place already. Just read through the different things that other people are already doing and it'll give you some ideas.

One of the best tips that I ever received way back in the day (like 20 years ago) was to promote your own things, not someone else's. So if you love to type or write, start writing for yourself and promote that. Or start an at-home typing business like doing transcription.

If you have a real passion for crafts, start your own crafts business and sell them on eBay or through your website. For instance, my husband loves making his own stuff (Jim's Custom Crafts) and we've sold quite a bit at local craft fairs and on eBay. I'm working on promoting his new website now and market it through GoDaddy's Marketplace.

And I design and sell custom laminated bookmarks, which I have to really start promoting more heavily too.

But the possibilities are endless, limited only by your imagination and willingness to work!

Good luck and Happy New Year!!
Old 12-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Registered WAHM

its the best thing!! Congrats and enjoy!! and we are here too!!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Super WAHM

Research everything available and find what fits you and your lifestyle. Decide if you are looking for a "job" you can work from home or if you are looking for a business you can work from home. I prefer my own business but others prefer a job. With your own business you can set your own hours and your income will be in direct relationship to your efforts. With a job, your hours are more confining and so is your income. That being said, each have their own benefits. Whatever fits best for you...... welcome to the world of independence!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:11 PM
WAHM Addict

You have already been given some great advice/tips here.

I would start by making a list of what I like to do, what I can do and what I think I can do. Then I would take my list and start looking around the forum. I think any work at home jobs, ideas and businesses you could think of are listed here! Just make sure to ask lots of questions when looking at any home business so you know what is involved, how much time/cost/how difficult ect...

Mostly everyone here is very nice and there is always some one that is willing to help!

I wish you much luck! Welcome to the Work at Home Mom world!

Happy New Year!

Christine
Old 12-30-2010, 05:03 PM
WAHM Regular

Hi! You've received some great advice so I am going to just welcome you to wahm! Congratulations on getting to be a stay at home Mom. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. There is alot of info here and alot of nice people to help. Happy New Year and good luck.

Suzanne
Old 12-30-2010, 05:53 PM
WAHM Regular

Hello and welcome,
I too am new to this. Already I am learning new ways to grow my business. All the advice that was given by the more senior members is so true. Something will just click and you'll know this is it. If you have a passion for something you can do great things. For me things are starting out slower than I had hoped, but I love what I am doing and know I will succeed because I do have a plan.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:55 AM
Awesome WAHM

I think that is awewsome, you get to stay home with your little one!

My daughter is a stay at home Mom, with 2- soon to be 3 little boys.

She does a daycare/preschool in her home.
She is teacher by profession, so she does some tutoring on the side.
She also sells educational toys, games and etc.
I cannnot think of the company right off hand.
(If that would interest you, you could google it!)

Best Wishes!
Old 12-31-2010, 04:03 AM
Awesome WAHM

Hi

Welcome to the forum. Take your time and research lots of ideas and find something that interests you.
My website offers free courses and books that you can download. These will give you lots of ideas of how you can make an income from home.

Best Wishes
Rona
Old 12-31-2010, 07:07 AM
Awesome WAHM

Lots of ideas and options here. Use the forums and contact people who KNOW about whatever businesses you are considering. Thee are people here in almost every home business imaginable. Spend as much time researching a business as you will spend working on it later. It is very reasonable to spend 20-30 hours a week for several weeks before picking something. Just treat the research phase as critical, and don't casually wait for something to come along "that looks good"..