Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > WAHM Life > Business Advice and Topics

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:55 AM
WAHM Regular

I would go with .com. It looks better IMHO.....
Old 11-13-2010, 04:18 PM
WAHM Regular

I would agree to using a dot com first over anything else, if it is a business review site or soemthing like that then .biz is great. But evryone always thinks dot com when they are typing in a domain name.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Super WAHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuliya Mironova View Post
Domain extensions do not affect SEO in any way.

Matt Cutts of Google has said so, reliably and repeatedly, in writing, on video and in public and has formally invited people to "quote him on it".
I love your posts Yuliya but I respectfully disagree with you on this one. Matt Cuts might have said it but I have tested it with many different domain extensions (I own hundreds of them ) and it's simply not true. I would agree that you'll more commonly see (let's say) a .net site over a .com site these days (that rarely happened in the early days) but count the times you'll see a .info site or .pro site. It pales in comparison. I've got some .info's that I've put out there without doing much to them and some .com's out there without doing much to them. The .com's will often rise to the top by default and the .info's will be lost. Domain extensions definitely affect SEO.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:02 AM
WAHM Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftys View Post
count the times you'll see a .info site
There are some .info sites in the number one position in Google's SERP's for highly competitive search-terms. Matt Cutts has a convenient list of examples which he produces on suitable occasions.

There are, of course, far, far fewer than .coms, because so many people believe they won't be able to rank well with a .info (in spite of Google's regular and forceful protestations to the contrary) that they don't try. It's therefore self-fulfilling. This is my contention, anyway. (Well, it's not really: it's Matt Cutts' contention and it's the "majority informed view" from the Warrior Forum, and I'm only repeating it!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftys View Post
I've got some .info's that I've put out there without doing much to them and some .com's out there without doing much to them. The .com's will often rise to the top by default and the .info's will be lost.
All I can say is that your experience doesn't match that of other people I know. So, yes - let's agree to differ.