Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Registered WAHM

Default General sales advice

Hi friends ...

I have been thinking about becoming more active selling new and used goods at discount prices. These would range from top-end clothing, collectibles, vintage items (musical instruments, toys, period appliances), lawn and garden equipment, etc. Pricing would range from $20 to $200. I'd offer whatever I found that would sell and return a fair profit.

I have a website that is musical in nature - but that I have not had much success with in the past ... so I have been thinking about opening an eBay store.

With the all the skill and experience you have - would this make sense for me or should I simply put these items up for auction independently? (I don't even know how to set reserves, etc. yet on eBay.)

Any advice -- AS ALWAYS -- will be very appreciated ...
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Banned

i guess the website you created could be useful. try to explore things and it might bring you something good. there are lots of business minded people who use the advantages of websites to sell their goods so you could also try it
Old 10-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Awesome WAHM

eBay is sort of a unique animal. But in general, if you want to have a business, you need to think in terms of CUSTOMERS. It is easier to sell an existing customer something else rather than find a new customer. By selling random products, you will have very little repeat business and are always destined to be selling on eBay. But if you can find a niche of any kind, then you have the opportunity to make additional sales to existing customers. THAT is what having a business means. You have customers. Not just sales.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Awesome WAHM

Default you won't make any money

Unless you learn how to sell on Ebay first. No, don't go buy one of those get rich on ebay books...

Ebay fees are HIGH Don't open a store, just list at auction WHEN they have free listing days.
Learn how to price your items - search completed auctions to see what stuff has been selling for $$
Learn how to use keywords and item specifics won't help your auction if buyers cant find your item
Learn how to make profit on your shipping charges... ebay doesn't charge fees on your shipping costs.
Learn how to ship internationally - items sold worldwide sell faster

go to their Community forums and read the posts. You will get some excellent advice.

martin
Old 10-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Super WAHM

I don't think you'll find eBay easier, just different. It has its own unique challenges. If you've done the website thing, I would stick it out and stay on the same path rather than trying to start over. Examine your traffic-generating methods, study your product, look at your existing customer's buying patterns, etc. You may just need fresh approaches to your existing model.

Good luck!
Old 11-03-2010, 03:26 AM
Awesome WAHM

I've bought and sold regularly on ebay over the past few years and it's still a good outlet to sell vintage items and collectibles.

Even though the fees can be high it's still a good place to start as you already have a market there for your goods.

You don't have to set up a store right away. Wait and see how your auctions do and take it from there.

I know that here in the UK they have free listing days regularly. I am not sure if they still offer this in the US. Free listing days are great for trying out the market.

Good luck!!

Tags
auctions, discount selling, ebay