Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:45 PM
WAHM Regular

Default The Best Sales Business for a Beginner?

Hello,

I am a beginner here and would like to know what is the best type of sales business for a novice? There are many options listed in the forums from food to books to gifts to home/kitchen products.

Which is the best to start in for a beginner?

Which have you had the most success with?

Thanks a million for you help!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2010, 12:16 AM
WAHM Addict

Please excuse a possibly unhelpful, but honest reply!

I really don't think that the criterion of whether you're a beginner/intermediate/experienced is actually the right classification according to which to choose a type of direct sales business opportunity at all.

In my opinion, you should select, just like anyone else, a company and an opportunity which you consider financially the safest, which you should select on the basis of how well established it is, what you think its retail sales figures are like (overall sales ordered/re-ordered by people who are not themselves distributors, representative or agents of the company), and the extent to which it has one simple, duplicable, business-building system in place which has proven to be reliably successful for those willing to follow it. Without these three things, you have nothing.

Although the fact is under-represented in forums at the moment, unless you look very closely and know what you're looking for, many direct sales businesses are failing to survive at the moment. It's an area of industry which, unfortunately, always does particularly badly in "delicate economies". One might imagine, at first glance, that the exact opposite would pertain, because such businesses often/usually involve an element of recruitment of other distributors and the proportion of people "looking" at the moment is higher than ever before. Whereas the second part is true, closer examination and the lessons of history show us that many of them tend not necessarily to be the "right people", that such businesses tend to be far less recession-proof, overall, than some others are, and in particular that the companies dependent for significant proportions of their sales on "autoship" and other distributor-purchases tend to fare the worst: all things well worth knowing that don't leap out off the page at you from observing online conversations and presentations (sometimes what isn't said by people who aren't there to say it can be equally informative).

Most importantly of all: completely ignore people who may tell you to "go with your passion and the money will follow". At any time at all, and especially in this economy, your success will depend largely on going with your future customers' passions, not your own. If a company doesn't have a very well established, successful and increasing proven retail demand for its products, it may not survive for the long term. Your top priority, when selecting, if your main priority is to make a commercial/financially based decision, ought to be to avoid an accident.

Apologies for sounding a cautionary note, but what you're asking is exactly the type of question which will receive radically different answers from "people in home-based sales businesses" and "people who've been very successful for many years in home-based sales businesses" and in a forum it's incredibly difficult to differentiate between these two groups of "advisors"!

As for the last part of your question, I've been particularly successful with a nutritional/healthfood MLM company, myself, but if I were starting again tomorrow, that's actually probably not an industry I'd look at - or, at least, it certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

My own business is "Europe only" and I have nothing to offer you, but if you care to get in touch by private message, I'll happily tell you which I think are good/decent companies to look at, and which I'd avoid like the plague.

Good luck!

Last edited by Yuliya Mironova; 06-30-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Registered WAHM

Hi,
Many of the direct sales businesses require considerable capital upfront, as you know. Therefore you need to keep your eyes open for opportunities that are straightforward and don't cost much if anything. I just formed a Limited License Company, which is like a corporation only for smaller businesses and with more built-in protections against lawsuits, for one business involving private investigations, and I'm planning an online publisher of novels and e-zines for talented but unknown writers of various literary genres.The point for you in this sidetrack is to be careful and CYA. READ THE SMALL PRINT AS IF IT'S THIS BIG! I looked into direct sales for background check outfits and various technology organizations, and the background check sales gigs appeared to be the most legit, although I now have my own means. Bottom line: every search you make for a product or service, scroll to the bottom and check out the AFFILIATES link. That's the best way to get the scoop.

Top 10 Universities In Asia
Old 06-30-2010, 12:49 PM
WAHM Regular

Sound very sound advise has been given. Adding to it - what training / mentoring is being offered to you? Are you filling a "need" - providing a solution? Is it a growth industry? People are going to buy based upon their relationship with you. Do you believe in the product? Is it the "future" or is it something that has already run it's course with lots of competition. I would want something that gives people Value.

Working Sales is alot about you and the faith that you have in yourself. Invest in learning how to talk to people with different personality types and what appeals to them. Sales is really a process. It can be very rewarding a financially lucrative or it can tank!

You may want to approach it as a part time home based business and see how it goes.

Good Luck,

Debbie
Old 06-30-2010, 09:48 PM
WAHM Regular

Wow, you are lucky. You have gotten some great advice and actually been pointed in the right direction.

Most people that would reply are only trying to get you involved with whatever they are doing. Heed, newbie and be careful who you learn from. Yuliya is exactly right. In this economy going with your passion is not neccessarily the way to go, though there are many that will tell you that it is.
"If you build it, they will come"...NOT! LOL