Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Registered WAHM

Unhappy Curious about what works....

I have been searching for an home business for some time now and I have tried a few things and nothing has worked so far.I don't have alot of money to invest in one right now. I have tried a few of the "free sign ups", ( I know, they're free and you get what you pay for ...) I am interested in doing something with products to sell, those seem to be the best ones. The trouble I'm having with that is, I get the information about the company and ask questions but there is one question that I never get an answer to....

Do you make any money with this company?

Everyone always tip toes around that one, so either they don't or they just signed up with them and they don't know if it works or not.

I know that in order to make money at a business and make it successful you really have to work at it, that's no problem with me, I'm a perfectionist and want everything done to the best of my ability (lol).

I also understand that in selling products, you should try them yourself before tyring to sell them. If you wouldn't use them why should you expect anyone else to. However, I don't like that ones that require you to buy so much a month from them, because times are tough right now and sometimes you may not make that quota, then you get cancelled. Or, they want you bank account information and if you don't meet that quota they take the money out anyways, and then you're bank account is all messed up.

So I guess what my questions are:

1.) Are there any businesses out there that don't require a high start up fee ( I'm talking low like maybe $30.00 or less)?
2.) Are there any that really work? If you work at it, it will make you money?
3.) Are there any that doesn't have a high quota to meet, so you don't feel like you have to pressure someone into buying from you?

I have been searching for about 2 years now and haven't found anything. I sold Avon about 3 or 4 years ago and that went well but now there are so many reps in my area and they've been doing it for awhile, I don't think I would do so good now.

Me and my husband have 3 kids and he is the only one working. I recieved a grant to go back to school but it is going to take both of us working to make ends meet. That's why it is really important to me to find a legitimate home business that works. Can anyone give me some advice or point in me in the direction I need to go with this? Thank you so much for your help and God bless.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2009, 07:56 AM
WAHM Addict

Hello!
I researched several companies until I found the right one for myself and family. Money is tight for my family as well as I was laid-off from Corporate America. I found an awesome team of moms who are very supportive. I would be happy to talk to you further about the team and company I am partnered with and answer any questions you have.

I wish you the very best in your search.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:54 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Hi spoiled3,

You mentioned you would like to sell products, in what industry there are many options to choose from for example if you take a look at one of the links below I have a home business as well part-time because I still work outside the home. Can you give some details as to what industry you are interested in, candles, wellness/nutrition, legal, educational toys this may help others in giving tips as well.

Michelle
Old 08-11-2009, 05:32 PM
WAHM Addict

1.) Are there any businesses out there that don't require a high start up fee ( I'm talking low like maybe $30.00 or less)?

There are several businesses with start-up costs in this range, just depends on your interest. One business I am involved in, Sonoran Bloom, is just $35.00 to start. Another has no start-up fee, but I have invested in a well-developed site to generate more sales.

With any business, your work effort is only part of the equation -- the other half is sales, whether you are actually selling, referring, or marketing a product or service. This transaction has to take place in order for you to earn a commission. Your promotional efforts helps get you sales, but in the end what you are selling seals the deal and helps get you repeat customers. If you go with something that you are passionate about and/or have had personal success with, that makes the "sell" even easier.

3.) Are there any that doesn't have a high quota to meet, so you don't feel like you have to pressure someone into buying from you?

Each business differs here. Some have high retail sales quotas, where others could have a small personal purchase requirement. With Sonoran Bloom, the only monthly requirement is a personal purchase of Nopalea which is only $39.99, no additional website hosting fees, etc.

HTH, keep us posted on your search progress...
Old 08-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Awesome WAHM

Just because there is a low start up fee doesnt mean there wont be other fees. I became a distributor with a well know nutritional company for (I think) $30, but I had to spend $150 a month to make any bonus from my customers, so start ups fees were not my concern when I was looking the comp plan was.

This all depends on the companies comp plan which you need to understand a little before you commit as well as the product. I have learned this the hard way. If you are bringing customers as well as distributors to the company you should be getting something for that. Example: some companies will not pay you any bonus/commission if your downline(s) passes you up. I dont agree with this. If you are actively working- find someone- train them and they take off: the company is making money why shouldnt you benefit as well.

This was a big one for me as well. I think it depends on what your are going to be selling. With It Works, we have $80 a month, so I get 8 wraps which I go through during one wrap party, so this $80 is part of my monthly inventory that I am using. Yes, I have to order more than 8, (last month I ordered 32 and sold) so this has not been an issue as compared to past ventures. If I dont market the product then it would be my issue.

For me it boils down to: comp plan, product and how it can be sold, does the company have a proven duplicatable system in place, how quickly will I start making money, a connection with my upline and how involved is the corporate office with training calls.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Grand WAHM

Welcome to the forum. You've come to a place where you will find a wealth of resources and wonderful support.

You've posted many great points. I believe the key is to do your research, jot down your likes and dislikes, and ask LOTS of questions.

Being successful requires momentum. It can take time, but it has to be fun to keep your enthusiasm going. As far as your questions are concerned, I believe Watkins will fit your criteria. I'd be happy to send you a PM with more details. It's very family friendly and you can work the business at your own pace without the stress of having to meet any sort of min requirements.

I always suggest that when you find something of interest, ask yourself if you would purchase the products for yourself; today, tomorrow and for years to come?

Take your time with your search and in the end, go with your gut. You will find something that will fit your lifestyle.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:17 PM
WAHM Regular

Wink

This is the last one you will WANT to try. I have been a stay at home mom for 10 years and I have FIVE, yes five children. There is no risk...so no reason not to try it out!!

If you have the DRIVE...We have the COMPANY!!

During the past year my husband had his hours reduced at work. After having been a stay at home mom for 10 years, I began looking for work to help our family finances. I started looking for something I could do from my computer and not have to leave my home or sell any products. Finally six months later, I found the opportunity that would change our lives!!

I have added the extra money we needed and am working on being debt free. We know we can do it with this Team and Company and You Can TOO!! I am looking for 4 serious people that would like to supplement or replace their income. I will show you how to maximize your income in your very first month. If you have the DRIVE...We have the Company!! This company received the BBB 2008 Torch Award!!

Visit my website and click on GET MORE INFO.....: Work At Home United :.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:27 PM
WAHM Addict

There are plenty of businesses here that work...I would research alot of the companies here including comp plan,startup costs and what is expected of you to recieve commissions etc.Look at sponsors and find out what they are doing,how they are building etc.You should always look past the startup as there will be other costs associated with a business as well...I would look at the entire picture,startup costs,quotas,commissions,your percentage that you get for sales and team members etc.Good luck.I know researching is tough.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:25 PM
WAHM Addict

Hi there and welcome to wahm! There are many home business out there and you can make money with any one of them but just like a job you have to work at it to make money will your employer pay you if you don't work?
No....so a home business is going to be the same.

The company I'm with you pay $13.97 per month that is it unless you want to buy more.

Yes there are many that really work. Last month I made enough money to pay my mortgage granted my husband paid some of the money to but bottom line if I didn't have this business my mortgage would not have got paid.

There are no quota's to make with Jerky Direct.

If you would like any information let me know this is a Fun ~ Simple ~ Unique business .

Hope you find what your looking for.

~Linda
Old 08-11-2009, 09:55 PM
WAHM Regular

Smile Take your time

Hi

Read all the posts here. Check the forums for companies you are interested in.Do your research.You already worked with Avon so you know how it is to do direct sale business. I think you will find something very soon for yourself.

Take care.