Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:06 AM
WAHM Fanatic

A post in another thread reminded me of something. A few months ago I was visiting the home of a friend of mine, (scrapbooking guru) Lisa Bearnson, when we were talking about business. She told me how important it was to her to pass on that entrepreneurial spirit to her kids. Then she told me what they had done the past summer. She has some great ideas.

She blogged about her kids' summer business. For some reason I can't get a link just to the post, so scroll down to the entry titled, "My Little Entrepreneurs!"

Have any of you done anything to help your own children learn business?

AlisonEdited by: BookWhiz.biz
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 AM
WAHM Fanatic

I've set up my 16 year old daughter with a domain name and Wordpress blog on one of my hosting accounts. So I'm teaching her how to start an internet business. Total cost to me so far: $9 for the domain.

So far, she's learned how to install a Wordpress site and modify the theme and add plugins using FTP. She's learning about keyword research and using those in her posts and tags. As she gets more posts up, we'll work on getting more traffic through article submissions, social bookmarking, etc. She's already joined some forums and is posting regularly to those.

We'll see what happens. I think starting an internet business NOW is a great idea for teens; they're on the computer so much anyway, might as well make good use of it [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

You can see her blog about pet rats here.</span>

Old 01-03-2008, 10:53 AM
WAHM Addict

My 8 year old son has a domain and he is starting to learn how to build a website from webtemplates and not with HTML.

He loves to play games online so right now he is just adding games, websites he uses for school and other sites that he likes. He has not added much as of yet as he just started but he said he wanted a place where he could access his favorite sites from and i had a domain name in his name since he was little so i gave that one to him.

We will be putting on some google ads and things like that...but it's a start.

When helping me in my home business he always wants to have some of my sizzle cards so he can hand them out.

I think it's great when kids feel the entrepreneurial spirit we have.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:38 AM
WAHM Regular

My son is still too young (he's only 13 months, and I have another baby on the way) but I certainly will pass it on to both my kids. I think it's SO important for them to know that they don't have to settle for a typical job like most people do. They can go out on their own and be successful. What a great way to instill confidence and creativity in our kids!
Old 01-03-2008, 11:44 AM
WAHM Regular

Mine was a little less techy (although my children do know their way around a PC) but we raised chicks and let the boys create a marketing idea to sell the eggs.

It was fun , they made a few bucks.

We are going global next...jk .
Old 01-03-2008, 11:55 AM
WAHM Addict

My daughter just turned 7, but already has her own computer next to mine in "our" office, so yes, when she's ready, she'll be learning, too.

Patty

Old 01-03-2008, 12:17 PM
WAHM Addict

Oh my goodness. This is great! I wish my mom had the where-with-all to get me started out like you all are doing.

I did just get my daughter her business cards for her business... (she wants to help me) Her title is Student Assistant. She has cards, a t-shirt and is thrilled.

I would love to figure how to have the domain and blog and all that...for me and for my middle daughter. My youngest is still too young.

I have a lot to learn and am really grateful for you all on this site!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:14 PM
WAHM Addict

My daughter is only 4 right now, we are teaching her about money (giving her an allowance for cleaning her room) but I would LOVE for her to be an Entrepreneur and not having to depend on a boss or anything like that, so yes, that is something I am definitely going to be teaching her about!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:29 PM
WAHM Addict

My son started a blog last summer before he left to his dad's for the summer.

He was doing reviews of books and we put affiliate ads on there. He's been asking to start up again, so as soon as we get his new computer set up he's going to start up again.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:23 PM
WAHM Addict

Great thread!I was thinking about this just the other day!
I have two boys,11 yrs and 2 1/2 yrs.
As we are currently in Italy (DH Italian,but we lived in UK until 2 yrs ago)we are broadening our childrens educational experience far more than if I am totally honest,we would have had we been still in the UK.
My eldest attends the local village school as well as keeping up with a UK structured curriculum at home with myself.
This in turn with my online businesses has sparked an intent interest from my 11 yr old about how great it is that mum can work from home,get paid and actually love what she does.
He has a blog which he updates for all his pals and grandma back home,he is starting to get very interested in website design and can spend a great deal of time poring over layouts,graphics etc.
He has already said to me more than once that he WILL be his own boss and master of his destiny
That makes my heart jump with joy.
And my 2 1/2 yr old?Well Spongebob and I are his major passions,for now lolEdited by: cybermommy