Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:14 PM
WAHM Fanatic

In keeping with this idea, my blog partner just posted a blog post about Hiring your Kids to work in your business. Guess there are tax benefits, too.

Now I know why I grew up working in mom and dad's office every summer [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Registered WAHM

As a former school teacher, I always had a pretend shop in the back of the room to encourage the kids to understand retail shopping. High school teacher friends of mine are involved in teaching their charges here in Australia how to set up businesses as part of the curriculum, Its great.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:48 PM
WAHM Fanatic

We got our oldest daughter a kids book on web design when she was 9 (11 years ago). She used that and, with a bit of help, taught herself to code sites. By age 11 she had an internationally acclaimed simulated horse game on her site (winnerswreath.com). She was written up in magazines and won a slew of awards--and she would NEVER tell anyone how old she was. I kept telling her that it would be a GOOD think, she didn't want to be disrespected because of her age. She had high school and college kids working for her.

She finally closed that site down about four years ago. That experience, however, meant that she had the skill to be a web programmer at her university (BYU) from the minute she enrolled.

She's majoring in film production with a specialty in editing and now edits the university's television sports program, again with her computer skills.

She's won a ton of awards for her editing. If you have some time, look at some of her film projects. Amazing. She's so talented. Can't wait to see where she goes with it.

My younger kids do a few entrepreneurial things, too. They help with our business and two of them do contract work, making knitting looms for a local company.

We also have a musical thing up our sleeves. If we do something with that, I'll let you know.

Alison
Old 01-04-2008, 03:26 AM
WAHM Addict

Alison,your daughter has produced some amazing work there!
My son will love to see this,I am going to show him when he arrives home.
It shines through that it is a passion of hers.
And that is what we all as parents hope for our children.
That they find their passion,that driving force.
It is SO important not to inadvertently place limits on our kids ambitions.
This is why I am so happy this thread got started.
An entrepreneurial spirit is to be welcomed and nurtured.
I have come across a few parents who will try and dampen this in their children.
These children are told to follow the line,go through the motions of the government based curriculum,don't question it and hopefully at the end of all that you get a good steady job you will keep.
Now,although I don't fully agree with that method of thinking,I can understand it.
As a soceity in general we are taught from a young age 'this is the way things are done'.
It is ok to stand out from the crowd,think outside the box.
I tell my son this all the time.
I want them to experience as much as possible.
My son is bi-lingual,learning german and french and very much interested in web design.
He tells me often that he will make a business in this field and that by learning many languages he is giving himself a head start out in the business world
2lakea,you just sparked a memory about my pretend shop I used 'to run' in our box room at home when I was about 8/9 years old.
I would make knick knacks and sell them to my parents for cash.
No credit at my store lol
I also got my younger brother to dress up as Santa and charge admission to the local kids.
I rented a small part of our local neighbourhood grocery store (knew the couple since I was born)for a small percentage out of earnings from selling my rolls and flapjacks there.
My mum told me then a regular 9-5 wasn't in my make-up.
She was right.
My brother works in banking and he loves it.
But I wanted something different.
My eldest son is showing similar signs Edited by: cybermommy
Old 01-04-2008, 09:50 AM
WAHM Addict

Isn't it just amazing how we can steer our kids in a certain direction. This tread reminds me of what we're instructed to do as parents: "train up a child the way they should go and when they're old, they will not depart from it".

My girls are 7 & 8 and I also don't want to program them into thinking that they have to obtain a college degree and work a 9 to 5 for 40 years and then retire. My 8 year old has multiple interest in dance, art, music, crafts but my 7 year old told me that want to "work on the computer from home like mom does". They have their own PC and she is on it a whole lot more than her sister so I'm starting to see a trend here. It never dawned on me to help her grow her interest by showing her how to put together a web page with her favorite sites on it so that was a great tip from this thread.

It's so encouraging to hear about what some of your kids have accomplished so keep it coming guys.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:28 AM
WAHM Fanatic

That is the coolest thing I have ever heard! Teaching children to be entrepreneurs!! I used to always play I had my own business when I was a kid but only because I liked to play that.

My parents didn't teach me much about being self sufficient -neither did any of the schools I went to. I grew up with the "Rebel Without A Cause" James Dean type of enviornment &did alot of hell raising.

I always was the best kid in art though which kinda saved me a little.

I wish I had parents that taught me like you all!

Doreen
Old 01-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Super WAHM

Any of you who have daughters have got to check out Mineral Girlz.
This company was founded on the premiss of teaching our daughters how to run a business! I absolutely love it. And it is only $25, free website and all. That means you can even have your daughter (or son, I guess)make the investment.

My son is 9 and I have been thinking about starting him blogging. I think he would enjoy it, we can put up ads for him to make money, and it would give him tons of writing and typing practice. I wish I could find a company like Mineral Girlz for my son. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear it.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:17 PM
WAHM Addict

I agree Cheryl,it gives them not only ways to use their imagination but they are also improving their reading and writing skills without them feeling it is 'work' as such.
I haven't heard of any companies with a similar setup to Mineral Girlz but geared towards boys.
Would love to hear of any though.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:59 PM
WAHM Regular

I love this topic. I helped my daughters launch a business three years ago (Pre-wrap.com). I was hoping they'd learn a little about business and have some fun money in their pockets but it has gotten much bigger than that.

There are so many benefits to teaching your child about business. Even a small business gestures, like selling a toy on ebay, babysitting, washing cars, etc. can be great opportunities for teaching. This summer my daughter wanted a Wii and she dog sat, cat sat, and babysat and came up with enough money to buy one in 10 days (without using her business money).

My girls have learned that it is possible to make money doing something you like. They've learned that selling doesn't have to be that scary. They've learned about stocking inventory and having credit in order to keep a business running.

They have also incorporated it into their schoolwork - a commercial for their video class, a persuasive essay for English, a bar chart for their math class. It changes as they are growing up.

I encourage you all to talk about your businesses with your kids. Even if you don't start a child-based business, you can still encourage the entrepreneurial spirit in your child.
I've just started blogging on it and have recently taken over http://www.internetbasedkids.com and am thrilled to see this topic. It must be karma - I haven't been here in a long time.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Super WAHM

What a great business and website. I'm going there now to start reading.

I just talked to my son about starting a blog and he thinks it is a great idea. He is brainstorming names now. I think he's already caught my entrepreneurial spirit. I start explaining what a blog is and he asks if he can sell things, like his knitting, on it! I think I might set up a store in Zliofor him and link it to the blog.