Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:29 PM
WAHM Regular

Thumbs up Answer This: Are Catalogs Still Relevant in a Digital World?

A couple of my WAHM in my networking group were discussing this topic via email. As fellow direct sellers, I wanted to get you input on this topic.
I rely on catalog sales and referrals- am I archaic?

Last edited by frenchskinwithcynde; 12-23-2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: signature
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2010, 02:53 PM
WAHM Fanatic

Cynde,

I don't think you're archaic at all. Yes, there are many who are completely comfortable browsing an online site and ordering from there but I believe catalogs still carry their weight. First of all there are some people who still just prefer to flip through a catalog vs. browsing online. They may very well go online and place their order with you after looking your catalog over and marking what they want now and what they want later. But they prefer that medium for looking.

Secondly there is nothing like a friend handing you a catalog and telling you you should really check this out. Often they will start looking through the catalog right then opening up the conversation about what are your favs, etc. Handing them a business card and saying you should really check this person's stuff out means they have to take action later unless they hop on their phone right then. If they are anything like me there have been times I meant to go online and check something out, or even to order something, gotten busy and never gotten there even though it was something I was pretty sure I wanted at the time.
So I do think having an online catalog is helpful but I personally don't see catalogs disapearing anytime soon. Looking forward to hearing other's ideas on this topic.
Amanda
Old 12-23-2010, 05:10 PM
WAHM Addict

Smile

Although digital is convenient and nice to use personally I love my catalogs and usually have several from different direct sales companies. IMO they are not outdated nor are they not needed. Alot of my customers ask for a catalog and they all want one when the new ones are coming out. Just my opinion
Old 12-24-2010, 01:35 PM
WAHM Regular

Thumbs up Answers So Far: So Heartening !

It is heartening to see so many of us still using this aa a Fabulous resources. Feel free to share any tips on getting better catalog orders...with us under this thread.

One thing I do is to remind my clients (esp the ones that are yet undecided about hosting an Actual Skin Care Soiree) that doing Catalog shows are always helpful in racking up hostess sales and helping them get more freebies and fabulous discounts!

It's great because how difficult is it to just hand your friends on your invite list a few catalogs and have them order online or just take their order? After I explain how simple it is, they are more proactive in getting more catalog orders to help them get hostess/soiree incentives.

Hope this works for you as well and have a fabulous week!
I can't believe it's almost the new year!
Best to all,

Last edited by frenchskinwithcynde; 12-24-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 12-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Super WAHM

I think Catalogs are very relevant to Party Plan Companies. I can't imagine having a party and telling
the guests to go to my website and place their order LOL Don't think that would generate alot of sales.
I do love having a website.......but yep Catalogs are really important. I also put them in with my clients
orders.

Merry Christmas everyone !!! I hope you all have a very healthy, happy, prosperous 2011.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:39 PM
WAHM Addict

As a consumer, I love getting catalogs. I will browse online, but since I am on dial up, it takes quite awhile. I will order online but prefer to 'browse' with the physical catalog
Old 12-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Super WAHM

I do most of my Christmas shopping online, but everything I bought I saw in a catalog.
I love catalogs.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:43 AM
WAHM Regular

This topic has been very helpful to me, as I was just contemplating going paperless and wondering if my catalogs just go in the trash when they are received!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Super WAHM

I prefer a catalog to look at as well. Most of the time websites are laid out so badly that it takes forever to look at products. Now I do like the companies that have the actual catalog online.. where you can turn the pages. But still give me a catalog in my hand!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:12 AM
WAHM Regular

Default I Love This Idea

Yes, thanks for the feedback guys!
I especially love the reminder that many of the websites can overwhelm some people. Having the catalog, which is carries the 'base' products and/or only products and specials for that particular season helps the buyer form feeling overwhelmed.
It also, I guess prepares them for what is being shown on a bigger scale for when they do go to our websites to browse around the other amazing products we want to share with them or when they place an online order!
And for my Mary kay friend who said she was considering going paperless, well - I am happy that this thread helped you re-think that idea

I love all these ideas and let's hope there are more to come. So helpful for all direct sellers

Tags
discuss skin care, skin care with cynde, votre vu