Go Back   WAHM Forums - WAHM.com > >

Welcome to the WAHM Forums - WAHM.com.

Welcome to WAHM Forums

Already registered? Login above 

OR

To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of the largest community of Work-At-Home Moms.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:32 AM
WAHM Addict

Default Customer gifts

I like to add a thank you gift of free product to each of my customers' orders. Usually it's something I pay .99 to 1.99 for. What I have been doing is going by the size of the order. If someone gives me an order less than $10, they'll get the .69 lip balm or hand lotion; if it's larger than $25, they'll get the Naturals lotion I paid $1.99 for (usually the demo price for a new scent).

What I'm finding is that a number of customers who used to place $25-$35 orders are now placing orders around $10-$15 because they know they will get a gift. While I appreciate the patronage, I'm in this to make money, not get paid to give away free product. And as my customer base grows, well, even at .99 per item, it could get costly.

I'm thinking of changing it up to give an "appreciation" gift only to those who order $25+. How do I, if possible, do this without slighting the "frugal" customers?

Also, how many samples do you give your customers? I used to put 6-8 samples per bag, but only customer regularly orders something she got as a sample. I suspect the rest just take advantage of getting freebies.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2009, 10:57 AM
WAHM Master

OMG 6-8 samples per bag?? I rarely put any in the bag. I stopped buying samples with the exception of the new Driven colognes. I have still been putting gifts in most orders too but I don't always put something in there. I mix it up and keep em guessing. LOL In the past I stocked up on things that were a good price and I still have stuff so I keep giving it out from time to time.

However I ALWAYS give a new customer a little gift in their first order
Old 08-05-2009, 04:24 PM
WAHM Master

I only give a gift on first orders. I do not put samples in the bag unless I have some free ones I gotten from the DM. I do add flyers to the bags that Avon gives me but I do not purchase them.

I do carry a on hand inventory basket with me and I will discount those items just so I don't have to send them back.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:48 PM
WAHM Addict

Yes Terri, at the very least 5. Last campaign I only put a couple in each bag, and I'm thinking of only giving samples upon request or one of a new product. New customers will always get a gift from me, however, I think it's time to cut back on the gift-giving a bit. I'll work out something.

Do you ladies add samples to your appointment kits or do you just stick with the ones they provide?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Super WAHM

wow, yes too many samples and too many gifts!! I give a gift on a first order, and then maybe once a year I will order some samples and pens or something useful and pop them in my REGULAR customers bags. you cannot afford to give stuff away every time!
I will also run a contest occasionally and give stuff away but other than that it's not very often I do.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:25 AM
WAHM Master

No I do not add samples to appt kits but I do bring a fragrance sample to show them how to use samples.

I am thinking of giving a small gift (mini, lip balm, ect) and then giving a bigger gift at Christmas time as a thank you for continued business.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:47 AM
WAHM Addict

Okay Ladies, I got it. I'm way too generous . And it's not resulting in getting larger or more orders, which is why I'm rethinking the gift thing. I got two new customers last campaign, who each placed orders less than $10.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:33 AM
WAHM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
I like to add a thank you gift of free product to each of my customers' orders. Usually it's something I pay .99 to 1.99 for. What I have been doing is going by the size of the order. If someone gives me an order less than $10, they'll get the .69 lip balm or hand lotion; if it's larger than $25, they'll get the Naturals lotion I paid $1.99 for (usually the demo price for a new scent).

What I'm finding is that a number of customers who used to place $25-$35 orders are now placing orders around $10-$15 because they know they will get a gift. While I appreciate the patronage, I'm in this to make money, not get paid to give away free product. And as my customer base grows, well, even at .99 per item, it could get costly.

I'm thinking of changing it up to give an "appreciation" gift only to those who order $25+. How do I, if possible, do this without slighting the "frugal" customers?

Also, how many samples do you give your customers? I used to put 6-8 samples per bag, but only customer regularly orders something she got as a sample. I suspect the rest just take advantage of getting freebies.
I don't give gifts routinely. Sometimes I'll throw a Mini in when I am feeling generous, and I always give a small bundle of things at Christmastime to everyone who orders from me in C-20 -25. I keep track of who got one already and give only one.

I always give one sample of something to everyone who orders, usually the new product for the next upcoming brochure.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:15 PM
WAHM Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelab View Post
I always give a small bundle of things at Christmastime to everyone who orders from me in C-20 -25. I keep track of who got one already and give only one.
I do that too. Last year I purchased those little bags gosh I forget what they are called (tulle?) with a drawstring and put a the holiday nail file and lip balm in it. I think that's all I did and I only gave it to those who ordered in the same time frame...C20-26... keeping of track of who got it so I didnt give them more than one. The year before I bought those magnetic calenders from Vista print and gave them a hand cream too. I gave them out to everyone but I won't ever do that again. Only those who order get a gift