WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

susan198135
07-18-2017, 08:12 AM
Hi

I currently use Express Scribe for dictations but I just wondered if there are any other free ones out there that might be better?

I do like Express Scribe but I have to keep re-installing it after every 4 or 5 transcriptions because the trial runs out, which can be annoying. Is it worth purchasing the Pro edition? Does it have many extra features?

Thanks.

divajant
07-18-2017, 02:36 PM
I purchased Express Scribe because of some legal audio I do and it's pretty good for that. Sometimes on other audio it doesn't serve the purpose even after running all the filters, etc. I download Transcription Buddy free every 30 days, and I love it. Another free one is For the Record. I hope that helps. FTW has a free download but it's only for the first 10-15 minutes of audio I think.

susan198135
07-19-2017, 03:40 AM
Thanks I'll give transcription buddy a try. I like it when you can try and edit the quality of the audio because some of them are terrible!

Mondaygirl
07-20-2017, 11:06 AM
I swear by the FTW transcriber. Its free version has limited options, but the clarity of the audio is second to none. If you combine it with DFX audio (also has a free version), you can boost the volume and make it even easier to hear the speech clearly. I've been using both for years, and I wouldn't switch to anything else.

divajant
07-26-2017, 12:54 PM
I like FTW as well, but I didn't know about the audio booster. I might try that. But I the free version only let's you transcribe may 10-15 minutes, and most of the time I'm transcribing way more audio than that so I don't use it as often.

Mondaygirl
07-28-2017, 09:59 AM
If you transcribe a lot, you might want to consider investing in a license. I just renewed mine for $24 for two years. It depends on how much you make transcribing whether it's worth it or not.

divajant
07-28-2017, 03:01 PM
I'm debating on FTW or Transcription Buddy, I'll buy only one of them. I have a problem with TB slowing the audio down. It does't stay where I set it, and I have to reset it every time, very annoying.:confused:

AtHomeScribe
08-02-2017, 10:09 AM
Hi

I currently use Express Scribe for dictations but I just wondered if there are any other free ones out there that might be better?

I do like Express Scribe but I have to keep re-installing it after every 4 or 5 transcriptions because the trial runs out, which can be annoying. Is it worth purchasing the Pro edition? Does it have many extra features?

Thanks.

It's absolutely worth purchasing the Pro version. If you have an active account at Rev, they have a link (or at least they did) where it only costs $16. The Pro version will download nearly any format and you can drag and drop files. It's a one-time license fee. You don't have to keep renewing it every year.

IrishChik
08-03-2017, 08:32 AM
I second FTR and DFX Audio. They do work well together and FTR works well and is my favorite.

I do have a paid copy of Express Scribe because the free version stopped working with a foot pedal. It was able to Google search a coupon and got it for super cheap. Well worth it. I also use their free audio editor, Wave Pad.

What works best for you, may not work best for someone else. So, try a few different ones and see which suits you best.

vrstarfire
08-14-2017, 06:40 AM
I swear by the FTW transcriber. Its free version has limited options, but the clarity of the audio is second to none. If you combine it with DFX audio (also has a free version), you can boost the volume and make it even easier to hear the speech clearly. I've been using both for years, and I wouldn't switch to anything else.
I've been using FTW for about 5 years and I love it! The free version isn't enough for the transcription I do. I use the paid version. It's not expensive and it's great for changing the time stamps for video's when necessary, also.