WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : When to start preK

MrsMav2011
09-20-2016, 02:27 PM
Ok, so I know that each child is different, but at what age did you start pre-school with your little ones?

Background: My husband was homeschooled all his life but his mom started them all way later than I want to start. I went to Christian, public, and private schools, and started school at age 3.

I don't want to start to soon and ruin the homeschool experience for us. :confused:

empoweredmom
09-27-2016, 07:55 AM
We started both of ours at age 5. There are some great online resources for the really young ones like time4learning and bigmathtime. For our main curriculum we have always used Alpha Omega. Our daughter is now 21 and graduated. Our son is in 11th.. so almost done!

happymommy
09-27-2016, 11:55 AM
I also started my twins at age 5. I did a fairly relaxed kindergarten with them. I think I mentioned in another post, they really enjoy ABC Mouse and Brain Quest workbooks. There's a free reading game called Teach Your Monster to Read by Usborne that's really good, too. Good luck!

MrsMav2011
09-27-2016, 12:24 PM
We started both of ours at age 5. There are some great online resources for the really young ones like time4learning and bigmathtime. For our main curriculum we have always used Alpha Omega. Our daughter is now 21 and graduated. Our son is in 11th.. so almost done!

Thanks for the resources; my husband used Alpha Omega and enjoyed it. Wow! I'm always amazed at parents who homeschool through highschool :cool:

MrsMav2011
09-27-2016, 12:26 PM
I also started my twins at age 5. I did a fairly relaxed kindergarten with them. I think I mentioned in another post, they really enjoy ABC Mouse and Brain Quest workbooks. There's a free reading game called Teach Your Monster to Read by Usborne that's really good, too. Good luck!

We love Usborne books. I didn't know they had a reading game. That sounds cute :)

happymommy
09-27-2016, 02:16 PM
We love Usborne Books, too. Teach Your Monster to Read goes hand-in-hand with their Very First Reading set.

Teach Your Monster to Read: Free Phonics & Reading Game (http://www.teachyourmonstertoread.com/)

MrsMav2011
09-28-2016, 06:59 PM
I wanted to buy the Usborne very first reading set- but I just wasn't sure how good it was. I haven't had a chance to look at any of the usborne books in person before buying them.

happymommy
09-30-2016, 08:37 AM
Do a search for Youtube videos about the Very First Reading set. There are some good ones of people doing demos of it. That's what helped me decide. I think there's a newer set now that has even more books (like the next series included but I'm not positive).

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1