WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Teaching gentle play

Jason Wayne
05-02-2016, 02:05 AM
Teaching gentle play

My DD is 18 months and she has started showing her frustrations with grunting, whining and hitting.

I am having some luck showing her how to be gentle, for example she came up to me while I was sitting and hit me a few times on the knee to be picked up and I said 'please Mum' and she said 'ta' - after a couple of times now she comes over and says 'ta' to be picked up.

However she has two older siblings who are with us 50% of the time and I'm unsure how to teach her gentle play when it comes to playing with them. She is voicing her frustrations but possibly they are not understanding or getting carried away in their games and then suddenly she is hitting them.
E.G. DD had finished her breakfast and wandered over to her toys and starts playing. DSS took something off her because he was using it in his game and she grunted and he tried to direct her attention to something else but then she hit him.

We have tried to explain it to the older kids but when they are playing they can get carried away and they are still young themselves.

Obviously she's not hitting hard but I don't want to 'allow' hitting because I figure it could become a habit? Any suggestions at this point?

SimonDG13
06-28-2016, 10:53 PM
It's sometimes great to see a child doing all this naughtiness.
If a child do these things then it looks like okay, but on time parents have to teach them and they have to learn all this.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1