WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Transcription programs

tripmom
04-06-2016, 02:36 PM
I am looking for a transcription program (i.e. Expresscribe, etc.) that can be downloaded onto a flash drive so I could use it on computers other than my own without having to download it onto that computer. Is there such an animal out there?

JanD
04-07-2016, 03:25 PM
Good question! For Express Scribe, this is all I could find.

Express Scribe Transcription Software - How can I move my old copy of Express Scribe that I purchased onto my new computer? (http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/kb/1495.html)

But it looks like this is only for installing ES on a new computer and so you'd be installing it on your client's system.

If you find an answer to this, I'd love to know about it! Good luck!:)

wwkwag
04-07-2016, 05:08 PM
I just copied the whole Express Scribe folder onto my USB drive and I take that with me. I actually save everything to that drive in case of a computer crash or something.

PeterF
04-08-2016, 04:12 AM
I just copied the whole Express Scribe folder onto my USB drive and I take that with me. I actually save everything to that drive in case of a computer crash or something.

That's what I thought in terms of the program, but I wouldn't fully trust a dingy USB device with my work either. Since I have virtually constant internet access, I personally save everything to OneDrive as it comes built into my OS, but I think Dropbox and Google Drive let you have a local cloud folder to save to as well.

One thing to look out for with ExpressScribe is that when you add an audio to it, it saves a copy for itself in a much higher filesize. With a couple of days of work it can easily add up to several gigabytes, and for some reason it's not set to discard files you're done with at all. You have to go into the settings and make it purge the files after, say, three days, but that also means you'll have to be around to launch the program past that time, otherwise you're just leaving junk audio on that computer.