WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

Pam in Texas
01-15-2016, 10:45 AM
Hi - I started in November 2015 doing transcription work for a graduate student transcribing interviews for her research. After that she referred another graduate student to me, and I finished their work on Jan. 9.

I am wondering if anybody else does transcription on freelance or independent contractor basis? I am trying to find ideas for how to get more work - places to advertise, other ideas?

Any help is welcome. Thanks

Gutsy
01-17-2016, 10:17 PM
Hi Pam,
There are any number of things you can do. Start a website, advertise on the business directories, put fliers in your neighbours' boxes, advertise at local supermarkets and colleges.
My mentor always tells me 'have marketing breaks, not tea breaks'.

jodepper
01-20-2016, 11:28 AM
I found work on Guru.com. You can join and apply for jobs free. Obviously, a paid membership gets more benefits, but it's not necessary to build a clientele.

Maddie87
01-21-2016, 09:54 PM
Hi Pam,
There are any number of things you can do. Start a website, advertise on the business directories, put fliers in your neighbours' boxes, advertise at local supermarkets and colleges.
My mentor always tells me 'have marketing breaks, not tea breaks'.
Hi Pam
I agree with Gutsy, create a website (use a free one when starting out), ads on all the free online sites helps, be active on LinkedIn and your business Facebook page, even if you pop in once a day/week.. In my opinion, the marketing side of our trade is maybe a little more hard work than most industries, but it can be done. I find cold calling still the best marketing strategy ever, business card in hand, smile on face and hit the streets. I guarantee you'll come home with at least one new client and so by referrals (ask those students to refer you to their friends) you build your business. Success rate of cold calling : 10 business cards - 1 new client guaranteed, the extras = bonus! Your feet may ache tonight, but your pocket will be smiling all the way to the bank ;-) Hope that helps.

marklyons
01-26-2016, 10:49 PM
Rev is one of fastest growing transcription service providers in the world. It's provides great freedom to choose what you want to transcribe and for how long.