WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

Peaked
11-30-2015, 11:08 AM
And the title should read "Strict Verbatim or Edited for Clarity. Yeah, it's a Monday all right!!
-------------------------------

Hi, all:

I would love to know your opinions on the type of transcription that you like to do.

Personally, I prefer edited for clarity. I know that some types of transcription (e.g., insurance statements, some entertainment types) require strict verbatim, but are those ums and uhs and other fillers really necessary?

Thanks so much, everyone!

J. Leigh

PeterF
11-30-2015, 03:35 PM
I don't mind it too much, I certainly won't turn down a task because the client specified something other than what I'd prefer to do, but I am generally happier with clean. It does have a downside in that sometimes a particularly long false start will catch you out and you end up having to delete it, but it usually makes for a lower word density and a much more readable end product. The thing that annoys me the most is that I think some clients will request verbatim when it's not actually the best choice for them, they just see it as an upgraded service where we make fewer mistakes.

Gentlebreeze
12-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Yes, it depends on the work you are doing.

I've been editing court transcripts for years. Both have their place in the transcript.
It depends on the court reporter's preference.

The work goes much faster when the reporter wants a "readable" product.