WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Is This Training Legit?

Laflines
10-30-2015, 08:26 PM
Hi there. I'm considering taking an online course in proofreading legal transcripts offered by a woman named Caitlin Pyle. Do any of you have any experience with this training program? Thanks to all who respond. I'm trying to do due diligence on it before I sign on.

Paul3tt
11-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Hi, no I never heard of this training program. Or any training program that is going to teach one how to proofread transcripts and have that be a full-time career.

All I can relate to you is my own experience--over 25 years as a transcriber, 16 of them in the legal field--is that the companies I have worked for did not hire inexperienced, school only people as proofreaders. They gave those jobs to experienced transcriptionists who had been with the company for some time as a proven individual. I know because I have worked as a proofreader, but that position was offered to me only after I'd proven myself

Even so work for me as a proofreader has never been a full-time thing, but rather an adjunct to transcribing. First it's expected a transcriber will proofread their own work and very little else needs to be done beyond a cursory check by someone in the office that the transcript is correct, formatting and style match, basic things are in the place. And second, it pays less than transcribing does. And frankly it should, because a proofreader is not doing the hard labor of typing, looking up terminology, making sure all of the indexing and exhibits etc. are in place. And if you have to massively correct someone else's transcript they shouldn't be a transcriber in the first place.

I would suggest before you do any course you find out if legal companies and court reporting firms are hiring proofreaders only and what the qualifications for those jobs are.

Gentlebreeze
12-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Most proofreading work in the court reporting field is done in a computer-aided transcription (CAT) program. And there are plenty of proofreaders in the field already doing this work. They were originally trained to scope.

Most court reporters don't have time to take corrections from one system or list into the transcript in the CAT program, especially when there are proofreaders who will do that for them and have for years.