WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

villandra
08-05-2015, 09:22 PM
I am doing transcription for someone who holds group interviews by phone, with people in other countries. Today he handed me one that had three participants besides himself; someone from the U.S. whose voice is crystal clear, someone from South America who was extremely hard to understand, and someone from South America I could barely understand at all. Extreme accents and poor langauge skills didn't help; neither did the fact that atleast one of them was on speaker phone.

I tried two computers, my speakers and two headphones, and about five different programs.

The guy could clearly hear the callers pretty much clearly. This means the call quality went downhill in the process of taping it and saving itas a Windows Media file.

He said that calls are made using a Cisco IP phone, and conference calls are generally routed through a conference bridge service. (In this case InterCall Reservationless Plus). The recordings are made with a Olympus 8000PC voice recorder via a mic jack using a LRX-35 logger patch.

Then the conference call is downloaded from teh tape recorder via a USB cable, to his computer, as a Windows Media file.

I am thinking that is a rather odd choice of how a tape recorder would store teh file.

Can anyone suggest a procedure that might result in clearer recordings?

Also is there any software or sound card that might help clear it up? The only software I found won't use any file format I've ever heard of.

Thanks!

Yours,
Dora Smith

Gutsy
08-16-2015, 02:43 AM
Hi there. Most of my clients use Skype and Audacity to do this and it works like a bomb. Hope this helps.