WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Re: Transcribe.com Assessment

ksmusselman
07-14-2015, 12:07 PM
I decided to take the transcription assessment with Transcribe.com.

Keep in mind, I have over 10 years experience in general transcription, including three with a top-notch company in Colorado doing FDA sessions and pharmaceutical company presentations and earnings calls.

The audio that Transcribe.com provides for their assessment is AWFUL. The quality is super low so you can't understand the words.

Mind you, I'm using a noise-cancelling headset with extra foam covers to seriously block out any other noise. I even increased the volume and attempted to clean up the audio in Audacity - to no avail.

I did the absolute best I could and followed all of their directions TO a T.

They claim you will be notified of your results in 24-48 hours. It's been two WEEKS and they just notified me today:

"Unfortunately, we can't accept you as a member of our team of transcriptionists at this time. The work you submitted during the assessment did not meet our quality standards.

We currently do not allow applicants to retest and do not offer feedback on assessments. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at [email protected] We’ll be happy to assist you.

Thank you for taking the time to take our assessment."

More like 'thank you for wasting your time taking our assessment.' It's like they set you up to fail.

Maybe in time they'll replace the audio with a QUALITY audio so you can pass their "quality standards." But I'd say their quality standards are LOW when it comes to the types of audio they accept from their clients.

aewtx
07-15-2015, 09:31 AM
A lot of companies use poor audio files to test people. It's often used as a way to weed out people.

Sorry, just because you've had 10+ years of experience does not guarantee you'll pass. It's not fair to word it as if they were a scam or something just because you did not do well. Who knows what their criteria is?

PeterF
07-15-2015, 11:19 PM
A lot of companies use poor audio files to test people. It's often used as a way to weed out people.

Sorry, just because you've had 10+ years of experience does not guarantee you'll pass. It's not fair to word it as if they were a scam or something just because you did not do well. Who knows what their criteria is?

I agree, it is clear to me that these files are a test of the transcriber's abilities, not a test of the work they will be providing you. I see how getting rejected after a delayed response might be frustrating, but the message this post seems to convey is perhaps a bit of a stretch.