WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

rachelhav
07-04-2015, 04:29 AM
Ok, seriously. A few helpful, handy tips for the focus group moderators/interviewers out there!

1. Focus group mods: tell your people, "one person speaking at a time please." If they want this thing on paper, it's to their benefit to tell the people to not talk all over each other! Not to mention it would personally solve most of my life problems. For extra credit, they could have the people say their name right before they speak. But maybe I'm just dreaming now. ;)

2. Interviewers: where do I even start with the interviewers. Take control! If you have a talkative person, don't leave all kinds of silence at the end of their big long-winded answers...they will continue to yap just to fill the empty space! Ask your next question already! Am I right?

Also, LISTEN to your person. Don't keep asking the same question in 5 different ways if they've already thoroughly answered it once.

Also, constantly using phrases like, "kind of" and "sort of" and giggling after you ask each question - it makes you sound like you're not really sure of what you're doing. Seriously.

*Rant over* Happy 4th everyone! :)

Lisakd
07-04-2015, 10:51 AM
I've had one particular moderator who is worse than the participants! She routinely cuts them off and finishes their thoughts for them, talks over them while they are still speaking, and is thoroughly incapable of keeping them on topic. Some will go off on a tangent and then ramble on and on and she just lets them! I really can't figure out how she still has a job as a moderator.

mully
07-06-2015, 06:21 AM
Ahhh...the world of focus groups :) I must admit, I did/occasionally have time to fit some in from an inactive contract that I do miss. They were my main contract for 4 years. The moderators were usually spot-on with keeping things running smoothly, no identifying specific people, it was just moderator/respondent. They were for market research so oftentimes there would be downtime while they were testing a product or doing exercises. On the other hand when I would come across focus groups with other contract that would just be tossed into the pile of files they received, I also would be pulling my hair out and actually yelling at the computer. Didn't change the file, but helped me :)

ksmusselman
07-14-2015, 12:11 PM
That is why I don't do focus groups. That is really annoying. Even in one on one interviews they do that as well. You asked him a question, let him answer.

BAM! I haven't done a focus group or interview in ages. I much prefer one person speaking, like lectures, webinars with only one person speaking, etc.

It just got on my nerves too much and my doctor "prescribed" a No Stress lifestyle, so focus groups and multi-person interviews had to go. Good riddance too. LOL