WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Working on Maternity Leave

Iheartcooking
07-03-2015, 07:43 AM
This is a duplicate post because this seems like a more logical place to post this.

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer but would love some insight if anyone knows more.

Is it illegal to start a work-from-home job while on paid maternity leave from my current job? It seems like double-dipping so it probably is, right? I'm looking into various WAH jobs now because I'm about to go on leave and would like to basically finish out my leave and then quit my unpleasant job and work from home. So I'm jumping in and applying for all these jobs now because there seem to be some good opportunities that may not be around later.

Customers can be so rude at my job that I can't stand the thought of leaving my baby at home to go be treated like their lowly servant. But what if the company wants me to start? Then I'm obligated to stop collecting maternity benefits? (which are only 60% of my pay...)

I could use some advice.

nevada robin
07-03-2015, 01:28 PM
You're right, it can be considered double dipping.

I think the first thing you should do is read your current employer's policies and procedures. They may say specifically that you'll not be granted leave to be employed elsewhere. If you are taking leave under FMLA, it is unpaid, but it's purpose is to save your job while you are on leave, and I don't believe you can work while on leave. If you are being paid temporary disability, you most definitely can't work, as you may lose your benefits as well as be liable for repaying any contended disability payments.

If you are married, whether you start your own company or partner with a company that pays you, you could use your spouse's tax ID , and if you were audited, the earnings are not under your own tax ID. However, you should be cautious, especially if you live in a small town or socialize with coworkers outside work. Rumors fly fast, and it's best to not burn bridges unless you are ready. As well, I always prefer to be honest and aboveboard with all my business dealings.

It also depends on how quickly you build your business and how much time you have. Ideally maternity leave is for you and baby -- even if it's your first baby, you need time to rest and to bond. But if you have a good support system, it's possible with the right business to be able to not have to go back to your yucky job. And again, if you and your spouse work together in a joint venture, you could let your spouse carry the majority of the work at first, until you're ready to go off maternity leave. I'd just say that as soon as you decide, you should resign, you don't want to be liable for repaying disability or other payments to them.

Good luck, and congratulations!

bellajessa
07-06-2015, 05:12 PM
First off, congrats on your baby to be. It is a joy being a mommy. I do believe it is double dipping and would make sure to read up on maternity leave policies at your company. There are many opportunities to work from home while you enjoy your bundle of joy. It is a big decision but do what is best for you and your family. Make sure you research each company and are passionate for what you distribute and have short term and long term goals along with a support system. Be extraordinary:D
All the best to you and your family!!

Jessica:)

jrcorbes
08-09-2015, 07:35 AM
Congratulations on your baby! :) And i dont know much about this but i think its smarter move if you read the policies first before making final decisions :)