WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Looking for advice

stacihunsinger
06-10-2015, 11:11 AM
I am new to this forum and I am looking for advice. I am a mother of 3 and have recently made a decision that working out of the house is no longer a good option for my family. I am looking for advice on working from home doing Transcription. I am a fairly quick typist, but am worried that with no experience this is going to hinder companies from giving me a chance. Any advice??

Thanks

danasurvey
06-10-2015, 11:38 AM
Freelancing may be something to consider. Some people will use freelance sites like Upwork, etc. to gain some experience and to pick up smaller or short term projects:

https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/browse/c/admin-support/sc/transcription/

*In*2*Win*
06-10-2015, 12:33 PM
For work at home Jobs, try the telecommuting thread (http://www.wahm.com/forum/telecommuting-34/)
or
For work at home Businesses, try the Advertise your business (http://www.wahm.com/forum/advertise-your-business-35/) thread

Also, notice all the various signatures by our posters. Each will normally have more ideas for you.

Hope this helps
Bonnie

SandraGenJobs
06-11-2015, 11:23 AM
Actually there are a lot of companies on Elance and Upwork who are looking for beginners. They are usually on a low budget so they look for anybody who can get the job done for cheap. Yes, that's kind of a bummer, but at least you'll get more experience and be skilled and prepared when looking for higher paying positions.

mully
06-11-2015, 02:14 PM
One of the things to consider when getting into transcription is the rate of pay and actual pay per hour that works out to. For example: Most people just starting in transcription - even fast typers as transcribing is different than typing - will take 8-10 hours to do an hour of audio. That's not written in stone, it just appears to be typical. That being said, most of the places recommended that will give you experience as a newbie will pay you if you're lucky $10 an audio hour. Sooo...if it takes you 10 hours to do that hour of audio, you are getting paid $1 an actual work hour.

I know a lot of people don't look at it that way, "It's only 2 minutes long and doesn't take me long" but the pay is at $10 an audio hour, that means you're getting paid less than $0.17 per audio minute and if it took you 5 minutes to do - how much are you actually getting paid per working minute?

I don't want to sound mean or what have you, but in many cases most people starting out taking this route of $10 an audio hour - sometimes even less - just to get the experience would be better off flipping burgers in all honesty. That being said, there are companies out there that will hire you if you can pass their test and normally pay about $40 an audio hour minimal.

Don't mean to sound disheartening, but just wanted to share what I call the dark side of transcription that newbies fall into. Been there - done that - had barely any income to prove it, so I'm not just blowing smoke.

Karen_Smith
06-25-2015, 08:28 AM
Try freelancing and giving a low start price so that you can get some good feedback :)

QteeKitty
06-29-2015, 06:53 PM
Staci how is your search going?