WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Advice For A Newbie

AmyElnora
05-12-2015, 02:09 PM
I am a full time student. I also commute between NY and MI. I thought doing transcription and writing would be a great opportunity for me to work, as I could take it with me wherever I am. I don't have a clue where to begin though and I'm looking for advice as I have never had a job where I work from home. Thank you in advance for any help!!

alisha.d
05-12-2015, 02:58 PM
If you are seriously wanting to do work at home transcription work and writing, I recommend the web site: Work-at-home-success and the person who runs the site is Leslie Truex and she always has those types of jobs. Please check it out.

AmyElnora
05-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Thank you very much! I will check that out right now!

SandraGenJobs
05-13-2015, 06:23 AM
You can find a lot of transcription, data entry or writing jobs here (genuinejobs.com), the list is updated daily but you'll have to be quick since those positions often fill out fast.

Swizylstik
07-25-2015, 07:04 PM
I think the most important thing you need is to become proficient at transcribing. Express Scribe is a very good program that a lot of folks use.

You will need a foot pedal. The kind of pedal you need is Infinity USB Foot Pedal. You can find loads of them on eBay. The good thing with these also is that if you decide not to use it, you can always sell it on eBay for at least what you paid for it.

It's a USB pedal that plugs right into your computer and works with transcription software. You setup the pedal in the transcription software.

If you have never used a pedal to transcribe, you will need to spend a good amount of time working with the pedal by loading a sound file into Express Scribe, opening word and typing away.

Once you are proficient, it would be a good plan to get into legal transcription. You can ask for advice on that once you are comfortable with your skills.

I've been doing transcription from home for at least 10 years and I highly recommend it. It can be incredibly flexible and I know the company I work for pays very well.

Wish you the best

Swizylstik
07-25-2015, 07:06 PM
I should also say that every single other transcriptionist that I work with at this company has another interest they are pursuing. We have writers, publishers, actors, programmers, people pursuing their masters-you name it.