WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Learning about transcription

mjziegler
04-29-2015, 09:58 AM
Hi! I am new to WAHM .com and I am looking into starting transcription work. I have a bachelors degree in Biomedical Science but I earned that 16 years ago and have been staying home for 15. From what I see Medical Transcription take special certifications, so I was thinking about pursuing more general type transcription. I was wondering, for legal transcription do you need special training or experience in law?

Also, how easy is it to get work when you do not have transcription experience?

Right now I am working on getting my typing speed up and practicing on files I find on the internet. I am trying to be sure this is really what I want to pursue before I invest in a foot petal and software.

Thanks for any tips you can share!

-Marta

Alba
04-29-2015, 10:10 AM
Hi! I am new to WAHM .com and I am looking into starting transcription work. I have a bachelors degree in Biomedical Science but I earned that 16 years ago and have been staying home for 15. From what I see Medical Transcription take special certifications, so I was thinking about pursuing more general type transcription. I was wondering, for legal transcription do you need special training or experience in law?

Also, how easy is it to get work when you do not have transcription experience?

Right now I am working on getting my typing speed up and practicing on files I find on the internet. I am trying to be sure this is really what I want to pursue before I invest in a foot petal and software.

Thanks for any tips you can share!

-Marta

Hi Marta,

There are loads of threads here about getting started in transcription - all the way from the accredited medical transcription courses to companies which hire for legal and general - but the real trick is knowing how to research your subject, where to look for it, and how to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Also, just to help you when you do apply anywhere, it's a pedal, not a petal.

Good luck!

mjziegler
04-29-2015, 10:17 AM
Thanks! I know I reread my post but missed that! PEDAL ofcourse. :o