WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : English Teacher

letterbox
03-02-2015, 11:45 AM
https://www.odesk.com/o/jobs/job/_~0130c76e0722f9ffb9/

The school was founded in 2010 by a U.S. America in Colombia, South America. As of 2015, Visa English Academy has transformed to an online-only school. Our focus is on business clientelle who need English for doing international trade and services and college students studying for particular exams; however, we also offer classes to children, teens, and university students. Our classes range from:

-General English levels A1-C1 according to the Common European Framework
-Conversation/Pronunciation
-Business English (tourism, finance, engineering, medicine, etc)
-Test prep (TOEFL, IETLS, SAT, MICHIGAN, etc)
-Children's.Teens

We are looking for responsible, creative, and fun teachers who know how to connect with all ranges of cultures and backgrounds and have a strong background in using technology (Skype, Google Drive, Power Point, etc). Our students are all over the world, including Russia, Turkey, Afghanistan, Brazil, Colombia, and South Korea.

Minimum bachelor's degree and TEFL, TESOL, or other ESL teaching certificate required; willing to work at least 10 hours/week; 3-month commitment

Preferred: 6 months of teaching experience, online teaching experience

Responsibliites include:
• Designing lesson plans with core objective, steps, kinesthetic component, and homework
• Learning VEA’s Google Drive and Calendar System
• Learning VEA’s curriculum and implementing several resources into personalized lesson planning and execution of lesson plan
• Managing your class schedule and reschedules
• Giving a full, 50-minute class on Skype-being on-time
• Teaching from a location with secure, fast, and reliable internet connection
• Engaging students in active role plays, listening activities, and speaking exercises
• Managing grades and attendance; uploading monthly progress reports
• Flexibility in schedule
• Work a minimum of 10 hours/week, 3-month contract (specific availability is up to the teacher and can be modified from month-to-month)

arunasuryan
03-03-2015, 01:47 AM
Will WANT a Masters Degree in English for high school or Community College, and you will NEED a Doctorate - either a PhD (Research oriented) or EdD (Educationally oriented) in English to teach at a 4 year college or University.

djunamod
03-04-2015, 10:47 AM
I'm not super knowledgeable about Odesk, but from what I recall, isn't it a site where people basically post jobs or projects and have others bid on them and that's how they decide who will be hired (i.e., who has the lowest bid)? It seems very strange that a position as an online English tutor would be on Odesk. I also notice there is no mention of pay. So maybe the idea here is that people bid on the job, saying how much (or rather, how little) they are willing to accept as payment and then the lowest bidder is hired.

A pretty sleazy way of doing business. I've been in the online tutoring/teaching business for a long long time and I have never seen any school do it this way. They usually offer a straight-up hourly or per class pay. Also, I notice that they are not necessarily looking for native English speakers. While I have the deepest respect for non-native English speakers (I work with them), they simply cannot teach other non-native speakers about proper English grammar, as well as used expressions, jargon, and slang, the way that a native English speaker can. That says to me that they are more concerned with getting the cheapest bidder than they are with the quality of the teaching they do.

Had to put my 2 cents in.

Djuna