WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Hey Homeschooling Moms!!

NewLeaf
12-08-2014, 12:44 AM
My name is Jennifer, been homeschooling since 2011 and I can say I enjoy it most days. Some days I wonder what I am doing! I have a very high spirited child, but whether she was in school or being homeschooled I don't think that would change!

I homeschool my 3 beautiful girls, and am excited to what they learn. They are bi-lingual because we live in the Dominican Republic 6 months out of the year. I don't like the cold so that's why we come here. In April/May we will head back to New York.. Rinse and repeat.. I LOVE the flexibility that homeschooling gives us!

Anyone ever get with a curriculum that was a total fail? When did you figure it out and how did your rectify the situation? :)

Jennifer

HomeBizHope
12-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Hi NewLeaf!

I've been homeschooling my two kids since 2005 and I have a 7th grader + a junior this year - yikes! My older child is calm, but my DD who's 12 is my extroverted, high spirited one. She is always a challenge to school, but we are getting by. We always joke that if we put her in school she'd be the class clown and probably get detention! ;-) So we keep her home....

Lucky you for getting to travel far south in the winter. I'm stuck in the unlovely snow in NY all year (but at least I don't live in Buffalo!). I'd love to move a little further south, but not to where it's HOT all the time either!

We've tried a multitude of curricula over the years and some has worked and some hasn't. Sometimes finding curricula is a challenge as it may fit my teaching style, but not their learning style. I can usually tell if something is not working within 4-6 weeks. That's enough time for the child to get used to it (and get back into a school routine), and for us all to decide if it's working or not. I usually keep the ones that don't work and try to tweak them since I'm out of pocket that money. Sometimes you just can't make it work, so you could try and sell what you don't want, either locally (if you have other HSers in the area) or on Ebay.

Thankfully there is also a lot of free curricula online and we use Khan Academy and Saylor for my son (but you can use Khan for younger kids too). I love that it's audio/visual as that appeals to kids more in this social media age!

Lori
:cool:

NewLeaf
12-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Thank you!! Yes, I will have to check out the Khan Academy..

You mentioned not living in Buffalo, but I was laughing when I saw, you really aren't that far! hehe.. My brother and sister live up that way.. one is in Varysburg and the other in Holley!

We started out with Life Pacs, and I switched over to Heart of Dakota, and that was TOUGH.. went back to workbooks used LSP.. we were ok there, and I decided since we would be traveling an online curriculum would be best... so we went with Monarch.. the kids are DRAGGING with it.. they can't stand it :(

I feel lazy with it too.. but it has given me more time.. but now I feel guilty.. so I'm looking forward to getting through this year and getting a better curriculum next year..

BlessYourHeart
12-16-2014, 05:49 PM
My dd and I are working on our first year of homeschooling. We are using SonLight's Kindergarten curriculum. I have liked everything about it so far except....the expense. She will be 5 in about 2 weeks. Some days go really good, some days I would love to put her on that school bus. However, I have an almost 16 yr ds in public school and I do NOT want to start that over again.

I am in the south and still not crazy about the cold weather we have here. We have record cold one week, record warm the next. Then throw in a tornado or two, sometimes even hurricane weather. We say, if you don't like the weather in AL, just wait a few hours(lol).

HomeBizHope
12-17-2014, 08:34 AM
Jennifer - too funny - I am 15 minutes from Holley! :D

My daughter doesn't love school - she's very strong-willed and ADHD - but she likes the computer, so we are thinking of using Switched on Schoolhouse (it's same content as Monarch) ONLY for language arts next year since it incorporates several subjects (yay!). I think it'll be easier for her, but it's harder for me to see what she's doing if she doesn't have a workbook.... I think a mix of books and computer curriculum will work better for my DD. That's what my son is using now for high school. I guess we shall see!

I tried Heart of Dakota early on too and didn't like it either. (I know some people just adore it though.) You really need to pick what fits for you and your family. I found that out the hard way when I tried a popular curriculum that people said they loved, but I hated!

It is certainly trial and error when you are selecting curriculum. I know I try to reuse things that worked for my son to save money. But I can't always do that because of how different my kids are. Basically you do the best you can and they will still learn as you go (thankfully)!! :)

HomeBizHope
12-17-2014, 08:53 AM
Dear Shana,

Good for you for choosing homeschooling for your daughter! ;-) I know we all have those moments when we'd love to flag down the bus & pop our kids on there!! But I know that public & private school parents still have their struggles too (as I'm sure you realize with your son in school)....

Sonlight is great - I've used it for almost all our homeschool years (for history and reading only). As far as the expense, you can easily buy used Sonlight books and/or grade level packages on Ebay - I've done it myself (and now have curriculum I plan to sell on there too)! I also recommend Cathy Duffy reviews (online or book) for some great curriculum suggestions! If you find something that looks better, be willing to try new things and mix and match. Many people even just pull books from the library and set up their own curriculum (it depends on how much work you want to do on your own, I preferred to have something in front of me).

And I hope you don't mind if I give you a little insight - don't stress about the K and early years!! Make it fun - for you AND her! Do a lot of reading, crafts, playing in her world, be out in nature, go on field trips - ENJOY your daughter!! So much of what they learn in the early years can be done simply by living - cooking, talking about what you see when you are out, going to museums or the zoo! It doesn't need to be hard because kids absorb so much at this age you really don't need to do much serious work with them. Please understand that I'm coming at this from the perspective of a mom who was afraid to mess up my kids and so did a lot of bookwork at first, and now regrets it!! :-(

Anyway, that's my two cents for what it's worth!

God bless, Lori
;)

BlessYourHeart
12-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Hi Lori,

Thank you for the insight! I take in all that I read from veteran homeschool moms. I will most likely research curriculum again when we complete this first year. I may see the options differently now that I have my feet wet a little bit. I am very impressed with Sonlight so far though.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1