WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Is it true about Lia Sophia?

jandamom
12-01-2014, 11:59 AM
I have seem posts on Facebook about Lia Sophia closing. I am wondering if it's true. Very sad if so. I really liked their jewelry.

liz.jewels
12-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Apparently it is. A rep I know said it was announced on their call today. I think they are being bought out by QVC? I'm not sure of the timing - one source said the next two months.

Seems like they had a huge drop-off in reps and the business wasn't able to sustain itself the way it had historically. It's a shame since the people I know in the business were happy and successful.

KNicholls
12-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Wow, I just heard the same thing on Facebook and thought it surely isn't true. I sure do feel for the reps.

liz.jewels
12-01-2014, 01:02 PM
No, it is absolutely true. I just had it confirmed again by a leader who was on their incentive trip in October.

I have to say that I am getting very annoyed by all the tactless people who are already trying to recruit them to a new company. At least 8 posts so far in my facebook feed are people soliciting on vendor groups I'm on.

I'd love to share my business, but I can't even begin to think of the appropriate venue and time and what I am seeing happening (elsewhere, not here) is just tacky, especially when there are advisers who haven't even heard the news.

KNicholls
12-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Thanks, Liz. It's confusing because some of this is coming from their reps and there have been rumors like this before. I just stepped back and called a friend who is with them to see what she had heard and waiting to hear from her. That said, not cool to jump on trying to recruit anyone in situations like this. I do feel for those reps because it has to be very hard to go through your company closing. That's too bad.

getufitcarleen
12-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Very sad... and during the holidays, too. :(

Edited to add this link to Lia Sophia's FB post that one of my rep friend's shared.

https://www.facebook.com/liasophia/photos/a.100585477932.89511.92887072932/10152669497487933/?type=1&theater

littleshamrock
12-01-2014, 03:00 PM
I am so sad for all of the Lia Sophia consultants who worked so hard to build their businesses. This must be heartbreaking :(

liz.jewels
12-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Lia Sophia also announced it on their twitter feed.

Good news for the advisers is that they will continue to sell through year-end, and will have a big blowout sale to boot, so at least they can try to make the most of the few weeks they have left.

I know one gal told me she thought things had been looking up since this summer. I'm not sure what was happening behind the scenes but it is so difficult to see this happen with a company that has been around so long and has been so successful. Really makes you think that it could happen to any of us. :(

NewLeaf
12-01-2014, 03:27 PM
What a shame to go through this through the holidays :(

My heart breaks for them.. I've been through the fall of a company and it's disheartening.. Many people do jump right away so recruit away!! You can hurt for them but they need a new home..

Sorry to hear.

May they find their new home quickly and rebuild what they lost!

NewLeaf
12-01-2014, 03:29 PM
Lia Sophia also announced it on their twitter feed.

Good news for the advisers is that they will continue to sell through year-end, and will have a big blowout sale to boot, so at least they can try to make the most of the few weeks they have left.

(

I just read this after I already posted! Great news for the Advisers! Thanks for sharing!!!

Yes none of us are "always stable" you just never know.. companies close all the time.. but 28 year old business makes it even scarier!

mariglynn
12-01-2014, 04:43 PM
My heart goes out to everyone with LS. I feel for their loss - been there and it's very, very hard. I'm glad they are giving their Consultants a chance to wind down their business instead of just shutting the doors.

DebraFerrie
12-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Yes, I saw they posted it on their FB page. I always feel so bad for reps. Because I am a single work at home mom and rely a TON on my DS income. It would be scary to be shut down. I wish them all good luck in whatever ventures they chose

cindi8d
12-01-2014, 06:03 PM
:(

I love LS! I only know one rep personally but I am so sad for her and the others who are losing their business.

I wish you all the best.

Cindi

accents4you2
12-01-2014, 06:29 PM
It is always sad to hear about a DS company closing. Three companies I was with closed their doors, but it was in the early stages of my career with them. I feel for those who had built up their teams and business. It must be such a shock..especially with a company that has been around for so long. I don't know anyone in LS..but I can imagine how they feel. I just had close friends go through the closing of Gigi Hill, Creative Memories, and soon Jewell. Amazingly Creative Memories was bought after it looked like it was gone forever, and it is back in business. Thirty-One will be carrying a portion of the Jewell line, and those reps can re sign with 31 if they choose. Maybe a direct sales company will buy out LS.

I guess longevity doesn't insure a company staying open. I think that's why many reps choose to represent more than one company.

All the best to all the Lia Sophia reps..So sorry for your loss.

Crissy
12-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Hi ladies! Been forever since I have been on WAHM! But knew everyone would want info :)

We all heard today even top managers. I have been with Lia Sophia for 8 amazing years and my business has grown each year. We are all so sad but Love that they are giving us time to wrap up our businesses and start somewhere new.

From all of us, thank you for keeping us in your prayers :)

AnneP
12-01-2014, 07:26 PM
I had stepped away from my DS businesses, including lia, because my current job makes it impossible for me to schedule parties. I've been watching and waiting since they canceled Conference this past Summer and so hoping there would be a Spring/Summer 2015 Catalog, but fearing that there wouldn't be, for my own sake as well as my customer's. I adore the styles of this line.

I love the jewelry biz, but have been unable to find anything like it in direct sales, that grabs me. If I won't be a life long customer myself, I won't consider selling it. Such a sad day.

But, wow, what a class act. I have never heard of a DS company going out of business and doing so much for their reps to wrap things up. I'm really impressed and thinking about getting together with my past hostesses and customers for some final blowout sale parties, since I'll be starting a new job with the new year and should be able to say "no" to overtime at work once I give my notice.

Crissy - I'm especially sad for all of you leaders. Let me know if you find anything interesting. Most of what I find is too expensive or too inexpensive. Lia just hit that sweet spot for me and my customers. I'm sad to see it go.

And, yes, it would be nice if the vultures sat back for a month and let people come to them. I wouldn't even consider listening to someone who approached me right now. Even if I ended up interested in the biz, I would join with someone else. So tacky.

utopiandream78
12-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Hi ladies! Been forever since I have been on WAHM! But knew everyone would want info :)

We all heard today even top managers. I have been with Lia Sophia for 8 amazing years and my business has grown each year. We are all so sad but Love that they are giving us time to wrap up our businesses and start somewhere new.

From all of us, thank you for keeping us in your prayers :)

I'm sorry you and your team and fellow LS sisters have to see LS close but it sounds like you have a possitive outlook and that's refreshing.

AndreaBerge
12-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Hey all, I saw on Facebook and now see that the rumours are true. I feel very bad that the company is closing and that you didn't get a heads up - I saw that list that they were not refunding your recent purchases. :( just wanted to wish you all the best and support. Especially with Christmas coming up. Not a Lia Sophia rep, but I can't imagine if my current company did that to me. :(

Andrea

Instagram: dreaberge

liz.jewels
12-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Crissy! I was wondering if you would come back to share info with all of us. Did they give leaders any specifics on why exactly the company is winding down? Is it possible some other company will buy Lia and keep it going (or did they investigate that)?

I agree with you - I was very impressed that they are giving you all a chance to wind down your business and celebrate the many great years of friendship with your hostesses and teams. As we like to say in my company, "this is so much more than jewelry." It's friendships and family for me, and I know it is for you too.

I also was impressed that they will honor the lifetime replacement policy through year-end on purchases prior to the announcement. I think it's great to give those customers a chance to get those pieces replaced and leave them with positive relationships with their reps, since those customers will likely follow the reps to new companies.

It's also great for all the ladies with credit or gift certificates to spend - they still have time to get it done, and can get a great deal at the same time!

While it is sad (and a bit scary given the company's longevity), I do think they are going out in true Lia Sophia style. I hope you make the most of it!

funmomma
12-01-2014, 08:59 PM
I think it's very classy they are giving all the reps time to wrap things up with their businesses and their customers. When my first company closed an email went out to everyone that they were closing and that they would be selling current stock online only till it was gone. No commission checks, etc. It was such an abrupt ending for everyone and I still miss my mango lotion and skin care!!! One rep started a closed FB group for everyone to share with each other and then to share info on where they were going once they got ready to move on. It was helpful for a lot of reps to have that private place with fellow reps to share, grieve and heal together. I wish you/them all the very best. <3
Amanda

KNicholls
12-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Crissy - Thanks for stopping by and sharing. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Glad the company is doing it in a way that you can all have some closure. It's very hard to have put your heart and soul into something and have it disappear. Still, I'm sure that those who want will find an awesome opportunity when they're ready to look for something new. I love this industry and believe in it, even in tough times.

jandamom
12-02-2014, 04:44 AM
Crissy and Anne:

Good to hear from both of you. I guess there were some signs before closing- not that it makes it any better. But it is comforting to hear that LS is giving its advisors time to wind their business down and partipate in the closeout sale. LS had great jewelry and I will definitely purchase a few pieces for Christmas gifts this year.

Again so sorry to hear.

Kristine Barton Morseman
12-02-2014, 06:31 AM
Just heard about Lia Sophia's decision and wanted to send out hugs. I bet it feels a bit like a divorce you didn't see coming. :( I heard that Park Lane is offering to let reps come to them and keep their title, I hope that true. I think its a reality check for all of us, heavy hearted today.

lisabathome
12-02-2014, 10:16 AM
Hugs to all reps!!

nyinnj99
12-02-2014, 03:15 PM
It has been a rough 24 hours since I found out Lia Sophia is closing their doors. Many of us are trying to process the information, but are also being hounded by what I'll call vultures to try and recruit us. I think we all need some time to process and grieve......

Vamputee
12-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Just wanted to share my thoughts on the recruiting efforts I have seen since LS made the announcement yesterday. In short I'm horrified. To all displaced reps, I just want to say this *hug*

As for my thoughts, here you go :)

Do you Bake? - YYC: Lia Sophia... (http://yycdyb.blogspot.ca/2014/12/lia-sophia.html)

MsB+3
12-02-2014, 07:11 PM
I work part - time for a direct sale company (soon to be full time) and this indeed was a concern of mine when choosing a company. Many have been around for a very long and lucrative time but without strong barriers of entry so my fear was choosing a company that was no longer sustainable. I do hope that the reps who relied on that as their sole income find something soon!

mlmblonde
12-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Unfortunately it's a SAD thing for the reps but the rumor appears to be true. I found the story here:
Lia Sophia going out of business - Chicago Tribune (http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-lia-sophia-closing-1203-biz-20141202-story.html)

Let's all keep those that lost their company in our prayers. It's not any fun when you've been with a company and something like that happens. I've been there before and it's really a shock.

We also used to have home parties all the time when Weekenders was around and loved their clothing line and just over night they did the same thing. I feel very bad for those involved especially to learn about this at the holiday times, makes it even worse.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those that were with the company.

Diane

Grisel
12-02-2014, 08:53 PM
My heart goes out to any small business owner that goes through a transition. We pour our resources, passion and reputation into our businesses, and sudden change can be shocking and difficult. :( Hugs for all Lia Sophia Reps

NewLeaf
12-04-2014, 12:10 PM
MSB...

I'm glad you feel you chose a reputable sustainable company.. but I am sure all of the Lia Sophia reps thought so too! It was a reputable company that was around for 28 years! You can't get much more feeling of "Security".. I don't think..

I'm sorry for all the Lia Sophia reps.. I hope you all don't get MLM shy! It's still an AWESOME industry! Although you may not be ready at this moment.. When you are, jump back on the horse! Good luck and God Bless!

*Bama*
12-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Best wishes to all the LS consultants, I hope you're able to have a great closeout sale for the end of the year.

KNicholls
12-04-2014, 01:26 PM
I love seeing the support here. For those who are being attacked by the vultures, I am so sorry. It's not only bad taste, it's just inappropriate. I saw a great blog post this week by Deb Bixler advising those who are impacted to 'act fast and act with deliberation" She wasn't suggesting that you just run to the first company you see, but that you protect yourself, with both of those actions. You are, after all, entrepreneurs. It gets in our blood. Give yourself the time you need to grieve and then do what's right for you and your family.

I realize it's no consolation, but there's at least one company out there who even tried to recruit me, thinking I was with Lia Sophia. I had to shake my head on that one, a message from someone I don't even know complete with a letter from her company president. I haven't responded to it, I'm still thinking about what I want to say there.

Just know that you have support and that we all care.

liz.jewels
12-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Kathy, OMG, the same thing happened to me! It was on facebook. I responded and asked her why she thought I was with Lia Sophia. She said she did an internet search and my name came up. I did post a note of consolation on Lia Sophia's facebook page - perhaps that is what she saw. Since I didn't try to recruit people in it, maybe she assumed I was with that company.

The irony is that she had to visit my facebook profile to message me, and my cover page is Silpada PLUS it says my occupation is Silpada as well.

So she was trying to recruit me and hadn't even taken a second to look over my page or understand the difference between Silpada and Lia Sophia.

KNicholls
12-05-2014, 06:24 PM
Liz, that's exactly what happened with me too. I had posted a simple note of support. I have South Hill Designs all over my page and a link to my business on my personal profile. They're not even looking or paying attention. I did go to that company's FB page, where that same letter is posted, and comment that they needed to tell their reps to stop spamming people. My comment was deleted and they changed their settings to not allow comments on their posts. :)

Crissy
12-08-2014, 03:59 PM
Hi Ladies,

I wanted to first thank all of you for all of your support and good wishes at this time. I honestly have been thrown for a loop this week!
I wanted to update you on where I have decided to go! I just joined Lulu Avenue Jewelry! I am so excited! Many of our top leaders have also made the switch! Lulu sells fashion jewelry as well as Sterling Silver and 14K gold featuring Moissanite! Their sales are amazing!!! I am so excited to now have an even broader customer base! They are just 18 months old which makes them truly ground floor!

funmomma
12-10-2014, 07:23 AM
I just saw this posted on FB by the DSWA and thought I'd share here.

"To all the lia sophia Advisors: We are sorry for your loss and know that this is a challenging time for you. You have been a part of a wonderful company and the closure saddens all in the profession. The DSWA, for many years, has offered a call for the field when companies have closed. The intention is to support the field and to assist them in the transition.
The DSWA is hosting a call for all of the Lia Sophia Advisors on Thursday, December 11th. We will give you some tools that you can use immediately to support you through the grieving process and allow you to move forward with focus.
Date &Time: Thursday, December 11th at 3:30 HT/5:30 PT/6:30 MT/7:30 CT/8:30 ET.
Dial: 832-225-5026 followed by Conf ID: 25668#
Please forward this information to any of your Lia Sophia friends. It will be a very positive experience"

Amanda

liz.jewels
12-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Hi Ladies,

I wanted to first thank all of you for all of your support and good wishes at this time. I honestly have been thrown for a loop this week!
I wanted to update you on where I have decided to go! I just joined Lulu Avenue Jewelry! I am so excited! Many of our top leaders have also made the switch! Lulu sells fashion jewelry as well as Sterling Silver and 14K gold featuring Moissanite! Their sales are amazing!!! I am so excited to now have an even broader customer base! They are just 18 months old which makes them truly ground floor!

Crissy!

Congratulations on your new venture. A woman I know who does 31 but started with LS about 6 months ago also followed her leader to Lulu Avenue. She is very excited and glad to be able to maintain the team relationships she already has and go to a company she feels was well-researched by her team leader.

Onward and upward, right?

cabimom
12-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Congratulations Crissy, you will rock Lulu Ave. !

KNicholls
12-10-2014, 11:03 PM
Crissy, congratulations on finding your next great opportunity!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1