WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Thinking of Connections Academy

KariC
07-18-2014, 12:11 PM
We are thinking of transitioning from homeschooling to Connections Academy which is just starting in our state. My son is going into 8th grade (which is hard for me to believe). We just went to an information session yesterday. My reservations are due to there being somewhat less flexibility in our scheduling and what he takes for classes and learning but I also think its a good compromise between home schooling and a B&M school (especially those around here).

Does anyone have any experience with Connections? (They are a tuition free, virtual public school.) Any thoughts on this?

Kari

tinkstoys
07-21-2014, 07:19 PM
This will be our third year with Connections Academy. I have a 6th , 10th, and I graduated a senior this past June. connections is a great program. lIt has 100% flexible schedule.The teachers are amazing,. any questions you can wither call, or webmail them. You are not teaching the. All the lessons are laid out for your student. Thisis a very low stress , educational program. High quality lessons.:)

KariC
07-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Thank you. That is so good to hear. I was impressed with the information session and all that they have to offer. While it may not be the prefect fit for everyone I think it should be really good for my son.

cathy basinger
07-25-2014, 11:06 AM
My children have been enrolled in Connections Academy for about 5 years now. It is amazing. Both children have excelled at home. They were not doing so well at a bricks and mortar school and here they aren't. Give it a try:) Any questions contact me I will be honest:)

cathy basinger
07-25-2014, 11:08 AM
I definitely would do it if I were you. Both my children have been in Connections for 5 years now. Both going into 9th grade now. And they are smarter than I thought they could be. I have much more I could tell you if you want to talk. Just let me know. Cathy in Nevada

cathy basinger
07-25-2014, 11:16 AM
I see your concerns one of the reasons I am still letting them move forward with Connections is that they have such versatile classes. My son is taking Java programming for the computer which is not offered in regular school. My daughter is even taking medical terminology. There are many more options that are not available at regular school. They are both taking drivers Education as well. They have a prom, they have frequent field trips and meet more friends than ever have before at regular school. And they love it

GodsWriterGirl
07-26-2014, 05:43 AM
Hi Kari,

This will be our 5th year with Commonwealth Connections Academy. Connections Academy has been a huge blessing to our family. Like you, I homeschooled prior to switching to Connections Academy. Even though the lesson plans are prepared by someone else, I am still able to apply them to our faith and address the questions my child has. My son has excelled in the online environment! I originally started homeschooling because he had been physically bullied in our public brick and mortar school and no longer felt safe there. Now, he feels safe and enjoys learning again. He has participated in the Gifted and Talented program as well as has an IEP because he has Aspergers (a high functioning form of Autism) and ADHD. Both the gifted and special education programs are excellent. The school has provided testing, Speech, Occupational and Physical therapies, and assistive devices such as Dragon Speak. They have gone above and beyond. The school also provides a wealth of opportunities for socialization through its various field trips, online clubs and organizations, and Live Lessons. In addition, students don't have homework. Therefore, they have more free time to participate in activities such as 4H, Girl/Boy Scouts, Church Youth Groups, etc. My son loves that he is accepted just for being him. I appreciate the passion and caring nature of the teachers who have worked so diligently to not only help my child succeed but also help him have fun doing it. I hope this helps give you some insight into our experience with Connections Academy.

KariC
07-29-2014, 07:07 PM
We were hoping to be able to move so our son would have the option of a b&m school -- its just not an option where we are now and moving is not looking like an option. I am thinking and hoping that this will work out as well as it seems it will.

I hope we can keep chatting about it as I can see it might feel kind of overwhelming in the beginning for kids and parents too.

At the information session they said there are some things that they don't offer that your student can do in the school system. I am thinking of looking into the middle school soccer team but we have so much going on with my son's music already and the sports he does now. But we don't really know too many people locally and that has been so hard on him.

I am really looking forward to Connections now! I think its great that so many kinds of kids and families have done so well with it. I think that really speaks highly of their program.

Kari

KariC
09-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Our first day with Connections is tomorrow. I am feeling a little overwhelmed with it but I think it's just because it will be new to us. The Orientation was good but I learn hands on so I guess I will learn as I go. Ben does not seem at all nervous so that is the important thing.

Does anyone know about those special music classes they have? And also would you recommend the clubs? I don't think we sign up for those for a month or so but it's good to start thinking about it.

Hope everyone has a great school year!

Kari

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1