WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Ebay seller rights

Bunnie1978
05-14-2014, 03:12 PM
So, I have a person wanting to return an item to me. My ad clearly states no returns, however, with Ebays guarantees, I want to be clear about what my rights are to not accept something back, and I know there are Ebay gurus here.

Item is a used cable modem/wireless router device. I sent it to her with the power adapter, but no CD, which she knew. I also offered to refund her the shipping after purchase just because she asked me to.

She received it Monday, but says that she can't get the wifi to work - and her cable company and the manufacturers weren't able to fix it. I know it worked when I sent it out, I only used it for about 6 months. I imagine the problem is user-error or a settings issue.

I have already offered to help troubleshoot the problem myself, but she has not responded yet.

Here's my question - what is my responsibility to accept returns if my ad clearly says no returns? If the item is defective, I will of course take it back and give her the refund, but I'm pretty sure it's not defective, so assuming it isn't defective and she's just having trouble getting it to work, what are my rights to not accept it back?
Can I refuse to offer a refund if she won't let me troubleshoot?
Can I arrange a conditional refund - such as if you return it and the item is defective, I will refund you, but if I find it is not defective, I will only refund 50%?

Any other thoughts?

little-evo
05-16-2014, 09:12 AM
In my honest opinion, you don't know if it is defective. If you want to continue to sell on ebay without getting negative feedback, just take back the item and give the buyer back their money and save yourself the heartache.

ybnegood
05-17-2014, 07:04 PM
Ebay will almost always side with the buyer. But, that said, I tell my buyers "go ahead and send it back'
make sure you use delivery confirmation so you know it got delivered. Many times when buyers find out how much it is going to cost them out of pocket to return an item with tracking, they find a way to
suddenly make the item work.

You should also change your listing and remove the "returns not accepted" when you list the item, you can click the returns accepted, or returns not accepted choice. It is better to say in your listing that the
item was fully tested before shipping and leave it at that.

I have shipped over 1,000 items and had only 3 actually returned. Make sure that if buyer returns the item you add them to your blocked bidder list so they can't purchase from you again

Bunnie1978
05-18-2014, 03:55 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. She actually just assumed that I would take it back and let me know she sent it back. Didn't wait for my response to her problem and didn't even respond to my offer to troubleshoot the problem.

Next question though... when I get it back, since I paid for shipping out to her, would you refund the whole amount, including what I spent to ship it to her the first time around? I spent $8, and though I charged her shipping, I refunded it right away simply because she asked me to. So, my net on this deal if I refund the whole amount back to her is a loss of $8 because she couldn't get it to work. She admitted that it is not defective. It was for her mom and her mom didn't know how to set it up properly. I'm actually pretty mad about this because I make it a point to include my personal phone number and a personal note letting my buyers know they can call me directly for any help that they need.

I did respond that if the item is returned with anything missing or in a different condition than it was sent out that I would not refund whole amount.

Core2
05-24-2014, 07:11 AM
Don't forget to open a Canceled item transaction on Ebay as well, so you can recover your eBay fees from the sale.

Bunnie1978
05-24-2014, 10:05 AM
Thanks for your thoughts all. What I ended up doing is refunding the amount of the sale minus the original amount I paid for shipping it to her. I called Ebay support before I did that to make sure she couldn't open a case over the shipping amount, but they said that it sounded like a buyer remorse situation and I wasn't obligated to take the item back at all. It is now relisted and I clarified in the listing that I won't take it back without being allowed to troubleshoot any technical issues myself.

little-evo
05-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Wow, the cheeky cow! Just know that it's honestly rare when you get a customer like that and be sure to add her to your blocked bidder list so you won't have to deal with her in the future.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1