WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

funmomma
04-30-2014, 12:31 PM
Hi there ladies,
I recently joined Trades of Hope and as I've been visiting these boards for many years I thought I would let you all know about Trades of Hope too. We're not solely jewelry but over 1/2 our line is jewelry. We also carry scarves, purses/bags and various home decor items. Trades of Hope is a missional business that all of our items we sell are Fair Trade. So we work with artisans around the world to create beautiful items for us that we then sell for them. :) Learning about the various artisans and just how the ripple effect of helping them earn a living wage and then what they are doing in their communities is humbling and exciting. I am looking forward to learning something new as I have never sold a line of items quite like this. I had thought I was done with DS & I never thought I'd sell jewelry but I fell in love with their line and their mission. My heart just couldn't say no. ♥
So far the response has been amazing and my launch parties are this weekend. I'm excited to get going and be a world changer.... one sale at a time. :)

Amanda
Compassionate Entrepreneur

cabimom
04-30-2014, 03:19 PM
The jewelry and scarves are beautiful. Good luck in your new adventure!

mariglynn
04-30-2014, 04:17 PM
Good luck in your new business venture!

LorettaA
05-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Enjoy your new business.

lani7
05-01-2014, 09:58 PM
At Amanda, did you quit simply fun. This new company your with looks great!
How does the jewelry look in person? Which kit did you start off with? Let us know how your kick off party went.

funmomma
05-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Lani, I am still "officially" with them as it takes over a year to drop off their active lists since when you drop off of being a builder, you become a Play Saver (personal use at a discount level) but haven't been actively working for them for a while. Still love the games for my family.... just hadn't been working as a business. Apparently it's much harder to ask someone to change their habits and actually spend time interacting/playing with their kids (even just 20-30 min.) than I ever dreamed. So sad. :( I had worked that biz hard for 4 years. It was hard to decide to move on.

With that said, I have always had a heart for missions and when I found Trades of Hope it really spoke to me. In fact while spending time praying and thinking about it, the feeling that I needed to be a part of this kept growing and even started keeping me awake at night thinking about their products and mission. So far my launch parties (2 of 3 down) this weekend are doing well! So far sales are good & I already have 3 confirmed bookings and one host who thinks she might like to use her host credit to join - so not too shabby so far! Of course I'll be following up with those who were busy this weekend over the next couple weeks.

So far everything I've seen has looked the same or better in person than it did in the catalog. Example - the Tri-leaf earrings come with the $99 kit (which is what I got) and from the online catalog they didn't look very exciting. However, when they arrived they were beautiful in person. Each leaf is another metal (gold, bronze & silver) hue. The light catches the leaves and they move and shine so beautifully while being really light on my ears.... I love wearing them. I get at least one compliment on them every time I wear them out of the house. The paisley journal when I opened it and could see the handmade paper with all the flower petals in it was breathtaking and to know that an artisan actually printed out the ancient script on the front of the journal was awe inspiring for me. I got the smaller kit because I wanted to chose what else I had for display myself. When you join Trades of Hope they give you a special welcome code to get 35% off (on top of your normal discount) your first purchase of items from the catalog, business supplies (catlaogs/biz cards...), etc. So I was able to pick out a few favorites to add to my display and then I will get more free & 1/2 price from my launch parties.

So far I am having a much quicker and happier response to Trades of Hope than to things in the past. I think part of it is that they can hear the excitement and passion for these artisans as I am learning their stories and two I think many women are excited to be able to do something tangible to make a difference for another Mom who just wants to feed & educate her children, put a roof over their heads.... just like we do while getting something for herself. Our co-founders and 13 Compassionate Entrepreneurs (CEs) headed out to Haiti today for one of our vision trips where they will be able to meet some of our artisans in person. Who knows, I might join them on one of the vision trips one day.

Thank you everyone for the well wishes, I appreciate them all. :)

lani7
05-03-2014, 09:56 PM
Did you compare it to Vibella? They are the same as far as mission very similar.
If you did, why did you pick this? I personally feel drawn to this one
Your in better. I saw another one. Noonday. But looks like that is direct sales only,
No downline commission.

funmomma
05-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Lani, I hadn't heard of Vibella until a few days ago and I went to their site to check things out. Yes, another great company with a heart for empowering women - awesome! With that said their jewelry isn't quite as much my style but there is such a wide range in what speaks to different women. BUT, I am not a huge jewelry gal so it's surprising that I loved so much of the Trades of Hope line. It's why I never thought of myself as a possible jewelry consultant. I also liked that if someone didn't love jewelry, they could find a scarf they liked, or a piece for their home or a journal. For me, I know where I am meant to be.

There wasn't a lot of info on Vibella's site about becoming a rep so I have no idea how the comp plans compare or what amazing things they do. I tried to click on their videos and they wouldn't come up on my computer (sure it's just my finicky computer) but saw they had one on training their reps to do jewelry repair - interesting.

Definitely some similarities in the mission. It looks like most of Vibella's artisans are in 3 countries currently. Trades of Hope currently has artisans in 10 countries. But they both seem to be young, growing companies. :) They both seem like they are founded by strong Christians.. Women purchasing from either would be putting their spending $$ to good use. And anyone who decided to rep for them would be doing immeasurable good with their business I am sure. :) Sometimes you just have to follow your heart to where God leads you and that may be different places for different people.

One nice thing that TOH has, is their monthly Gifts of Hope. This is on top of paying our artisans 100% of their asking price (which helps them pay for food, medical, education, housing, etc.) (If you want to see how they determine the price paid to our artisans Trades of Hope has several videos on youtube where they explain some things like this.) they also give a portion of all sales each month to a different charity. In March they were able to donate enough money for 48 fistula surgeries through one group and enough for 30 days of counseling for survivors rescued from the sex trades through another group. In April they were donating to Cherished (haven't heard what amount was earned yet) and this month the Gifts of Hope will be going to Exodus Road. I saw in the past they had donated to the Rapha House which is a group I was already familiar with and owned a purse from. Sometimes they donate animals (goats, chickens, etc.), sewing machines, wells, etc. to the communities their artisans are in.

Because no matter which company is better for you : Your accessories can take care of her necessities. :)

Amanda
CE

lani7
05-09-2014, 09:28 AM
Sounds great! Do you know what average sales party is? How many consultants?

funmomma
05-09-2014, 01:48 PM
I asked that question too. :) I was told that the national average (which is what I asked for) is running just over $400. They told me they do routinely have parties over $1,000 - like another brand new girl who had a $1,900 launch party! I do have to say the sales numbers are much higher overall than my previous venture.
When I joined a month ago I was told we have about 400 CEs in 25 states. They JUST opened recruiting up in Alaska and Hawaii. The home office announced last week that they are moving our distribution into a new space that is 3x bigger. So, still a small company overall, but I see a new CE name or three being welcomed almost everyday in our closed FB group.

Amanda
Compassionate Entrepreneur

lani7
05-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Thanks Amanda. Can you share what the requirement is to get higher commission.
I believe it starts at 25% right? I can't seem to scroll up but have you seen any of the bags in person? Do you like it?

funmomma
05-09-2014, 07:33 PM
I own the Cambodia clutch and have been using it almost daily. Cute, soft & has a satin lining. I like that I can use the wristlet or I can slide my hand through under the bow and grab it that way. I am wanting to get the Bright Stripes Shoulder bag next for when I'm headed out and about with my family and want to carry more with me.
Yes, and no that the commission starts at 25%. Commission starts at 20%, when you have sold $1,000 you become a Qualified CE and then you can earn a personal sales bonus monthly (on your personal sales volume) between 2%- 5% so you could earn 25% before building a team. As you increase your rank, you earn a rank % up to 10% at the Executive Director level. So at the top you can earn 30%-35% on your personal sales and then there are the downline commissions on top of your personal sales. If you would like to have me email you the entire Comp Plan, just send me your email address. :)

lani7
05-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Hi Amanda, just wondering how your doing with this
company in terms of sales.

accents4you2
05-24-2014, 09:08 AM
The scarves and the "Shades of teal" are really beautiful! Love the mission statement too! It's very similar to another company I was checking out. Are they fairly new?

funmomma
05-24-2014, 04:12 PM
Hi Lani,
The sales from my launch party have been good. I've even had my first repeat customer!! I have the first of my 3 parties booked from my launch this weekend and it will be held open till the 8th. It will take me a few parties to see what my average party is. :)

Accents4you2,
I'm so glad you found some things you liked! With the variety of options everyone seems to find something they like when they first look. Trades of Hope is a relatively new company (about 3 years old). We're now up to almost 600 Compassionate Entrepreneurs so we're really starting to grow. :) The mission statement is what caught my eye initially, the products looked amazing and then as I learned the stories behind the artisan groups and the women making these items my heart was stolen. <3 I decided I had to be a part of what Trades of Hope was doing. If you have any questions about Trades of Hope, let me know.

Miss_A
05-24-2014, 10:21 PM
This reminds of Noonday Collection, which I have been thinking about joining. However, I like what I see at ToH. How much is it to join, and what are the sales quotas?

accents4you2
05-25-2014, 12:44 PM
Miss A,

There are 4 kits available at the following prices: $69, $99, $199, and $399. And the products for each of them are really beautiful There is no sales requirement to become or remain a rep. If you choose the career track there is $150.00 monthly minimum.. :)

funmomma
05-25-2014, 01:03 PM
Hi Miss_A,
Isn't the TOH line so neat?! There are several kit options and you can see pics of them if you go to my website, click on join and then click where it says "CE Kits". We have a $69 Campus Kit designed for the college aged Compassionate Entrepreneur. The most common kit purchased is the $99 Traveler Kit and then we have two more expensive option. I started with the Traveler Kit myself and then TOH gives you a special code for your first order and you get an additional 35% off your CE store discounted prices. It's a great way to get additional demo items, stock up on some catalogs, etc at a VERY good price. Hosts can also use their host dollars towards a kit purchase. :)
As for sales quotas they just announced this week an updated comp plan to try and help the CE's grow stronger businesses. Starting July 1st there will be a yearly requirement of $150 in personal retail sales volume to remain a CE. When you start to build a team you would need to sell $300 in retail sales each month to collect your success line commissions for that month as they want their leaders to lead by example. Both changes seem appropriate to me. What Accents4you2 listed is the current requirements but they will be adjusting soon so it's important to know that too.
Let me know if you have any other questions Miss_A!

Amanda

accents4you2
05-25-2014, 01:47 PM
Still very doable and fair. :)

funmomma
05-30-2014, 07:38 PM
We have some news with Trades of Hope! They announced they are moving vendors for their newsletter to one almost the same as I have used before (the kind where you get a warm call report - sweet!). They are giving us the first month free to try it out and then just $5/month. I have worked with companies where we had to pay a technology fee when we renewed each year and this is so much cheaper than what I've paid in the past so I am excited they have chosen a new vendor. They are young and growing but definitely in the right direction. :)
Trades of Hope has announced that in June our Gift of Hope donation (TOH gives 10% of their sales each month to a different charity) will go to help with a garden project in Costa Rica! They also just announced that hosts between June 16th & 30th will get double credit.
And our Empower Training Retreat will be in early January in Daytona, FL. Hello warm sun and sand!

Just for fun here's a trivia question I just learned the answer to.
Our Haitian artisans make cereal box beads out of ... cereal boxes our course. How many beads can they make out of just one cereal box???

lani7
05-31-2014, 10:45 PM
I'm thinking of signing up with them as well. But also looking at steeped tea and tealightful
Still. Will you still be doing steeped tea?

carolsumrell
06-01-2014, 06:27 AM
Hi Lani! :)
Yes, I will still be with Steeped Tea! I know everyone always hears, "I am hooked"! But I am literally hooked on the teas! Especially the Hawa-ya-doin Green Tea! I like to blend it with the Sweet Pineapple Sencha Green!

lani7
06-01-2014, 10:16 AM
I'm just curious if you have ever tried the tealightful teas as well. Just curious to know how they
Compare if you have tried both.

funmomma
06-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Hi Carol! It's nice to see you over here too. I've seen you posting on our FB group page recently. So glad you decided to join the Sisterhood!! With your passion for our mission you are going to be an amazing world changer. :D

I wore my tri-leaf earrings to church and lunch today and had 3 women compliment them, two wanted catalogs and one said she might like to join after us talking for just 3 minutes! I love that just by wearing the artisan's beautiful items it opens the doors for me to share Trades of Hope's amazing mission and change lives for more women. ♥

Amanda
How will YOU wear the end to poverty?

carolsumrell
06-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Lani!
Send me your e-mail if you're still interested in Steeped Tea! They are having a Kit Special for 3 days starting June 5th! :)

funmomma
06-10-2014, 07:17 AM
We just saw a preview for tomorrow's Wednesday sale item! Excited to see such a cute little girl's necklace being tried out. I know I've been seeing lots of ideas for new items to see if we can find artisans to make to add to our line. I've had a few customers ask about TOH jewelry for their daughters - they'll be excited to hear about tomorrow's handpainted ladybug necklace. :D

Amanda

accents4you2
06-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Amanda...I have found so many pieces I want...my list grows every time I look at the catalog. I especially love the scarves. They add such flair to any outfit. The days I wear scarves, are the days my Kinder students say, "You look so beautiful today!" LOL. I can't wait to get some TOH ones..the colors/prints are so nice.

funmomma
06-11-2014, 07:36 PM
That's fabulous!! I am learning all about scarves and I am really liking them! And yes, I am often finding new things I'd like to have too. My list keeps growing and with a new item available each week for the Wed. sale I have to have a little bit of self control!! I have seen little glimpses of some of the items being made right now for our fall catalog.... gotta keep booking those parties! <3
Amanda

accents4you2
06-18-2014, 11:05 AM
That's fabulous!! I am learning all about scarves and I am really liking them! And yes, I am often finding new things I'd like to have too. My list keeps growing and with a new item available each week for the Wed. sale I have to have a little bit of self control!! I have seen little glimpses of some of the items being made right now for our fall catalog.... gotta keep booking those parties! <3
Amanda

My love for scarves came after I went to Europe a few years ago. Probably 90% of women wear scarves there, and I'm not exaggerating! Whether they were wearing skirts, dresses, dress pants, shorts, shorts with tights...they wore a scarf. It seems like a staple..few women there seem to leave home without them. It is a really nice look. There are so many ways to wear them too!

accents4you2
06-18-2014, 11:07 AM
It's official! I'm in! One of the best decisions of my life! So very excited! I love so much about the company and product. They really have some nice perks I haven't seen with other companies..

accents4you2
06-18-2014, 11:27 AM
Congratulations! Best of luck with your new Trades of Hope business.

Thanks Mariglynn...I appreciate that. I am so excited..and feel so fulfilled already! Not only is the mission amazing, but the product line is really gorgeous! I've had an amazing response in CA (which can be a pretty picky market..lol) already!

I know this decision is going to take me places (literally) I've never been before! :)

funmomma
06-18-2014, 05:52 PM
So happy to have you join the TOH sisterhood Accents4you2!! Your passion for making a difference is going to help so many women (and their families) while helping your own.

I always have trouble trying to load pics here but we had an update on one of our Indian artisans today and thought I'd share it here:
"Indian Artisan Update: Mrs. Lakshmi (pictured) was in distress when she started working for one of our artisan groups in India. Her husband had deserted her for another woman and left her with two small children and no source of livelihood.
Lakshmi’s husband later remarried and offered no support to Lakshmi or his two young children, a son and a daughter. It then became critical for Lakshmi to work in order to support her family, and she was able to find the stability and in...dependence she needed through working for one of our Indian artisan groups!
Our artisan group was able to help build Lakshmi a home near where she works. Having her own house has brought smiles in her life. She can now save money and was able to provide an education for her children! While entering her new home Lakshmi says:
“Thank you very much for all kind of support and kindness towards my family”
Lakshmi is part of the group that makes the Cloud Nine Scarf and Mumbai Earrings. Thank YOU for being world changers and supporting amazing groups and women all around the world!"

And TOH ladies did you see that our Gifts of Hope for next month will go to a group working to bring justice by ending sex trafficking right here in the US! Each TOH purchase brings so much good each month. Keep being the hands and feet for our Sisters around the world CEs!!

udesignit
06-19-2014, 07:38 PM
congratulations! I have been reading posts and could sense that you connected well with the company mission. I also reside in CA and can relate to your comment.

accents4you2
06-19-2014, 09:28 PM
Thanks udesignit! I am so excited..and I have connected on so many levels. An interesting thing...hours after I signed up I got a message from an organizer inviting me to take part in a big/important charity event. I asked how she found me and she said she searched for TOH reps in her Area because of our beautiful products. It's going to be a great event. Now I just need an extra set of hands to help me! !

It's very encouraging to be sought out like that!

accents4you2
06-21-2014, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Amanda!

Love all the beautiful stories made possible through TOH.

I love so many things about this company besides the product and mission. Wow so innovative! So many great systems in place Ive never seen with any other company. Feeling excited!

accents4you2
06-24-2014, 09:05 PM
I got my kit today! Absolutely beautiful! Wow! I love everything! After I put on the scarf and the necklace, my hubs said, "Wow..great look!"

I think there are 5 of us here to have our own folder, isn't there?

accents4you2
07-08-2014, 09:18 AM
I shared Trades of Hope with a group of women yesterday and they loved everything about it..the jewelry, scarves, mission, everything! One of the products they were really impressed with was our journals! They were also very impressed with what recycled/upcycled items were used to make the products!

I love being able to share a product with so many aspects to it! I think TOH is going to do very well in California! So excited!!

LoriW
02-27-2015, 03:06 PM
Has anyone had any sucess with just online sales for Trades of Hope? I sold Premier Jewely 10 years ago and loved the jewelry but got tired of doing home shows. Don't really want to get into that again but I love the Trades of Hope jewelry and more importantly, the mission of the company!

Thanks,
Lori

funmomma
02-27-2015, 03:53 PM
Hi Lori,
I'm glad you love our jewelry line and our mission! That's what brought most of us on with Trades of Hope. I think from the various CEs I've talked with, some have had great success with online sales and others have had none or little.
I think in general, whether you're sharing in person or online - sharing the stories of our artisans, the heart & mission of Trades of Hope and HOW their purchase makes a difference is important. As with all things some will and some won't but in my experience those who "get" what we're doing really get it and love telling others about it because we're different from the average company out there.
I got to sit next to a wonderful woman from NY at our retreat in January. She said home parties are a no go in NY and so she has built her business mostly on vendor events and open houses and she was in the top 10 in sales for 2014. Some of us do "live" FB events and some of us prefer the weeklong FB events. Some prefer to work mostly online and others love to do our in home/coffee shop "parties with a purpose". That's what's great - we can all build our businesses around our needs and how we work best. I personally have a weeklong FB party wrapping up Sunday, another online party starting Monday and have a live party on Sat. I like to do a bit of both. :) For me, it's all about what's best for my host.
If you wanted to talk more, I am sure any of us Compassionate Entrepreneurs would love to share more with you.
Amanda

LoriW
02-27-2015, 05:31 PM
Thank you Amanda! I actually just found out about Trades of Hope last night at our schools fundraiser fashion show. Very cool jewelry and mission. I have been looking to start a home business after being absent from it for several years so thought I would give this some research!

Thanks and will for sure post again with any other questions I may have!

Lori

funmomma
02-27-2015, 06:23 PM
That sounds great! Yes, word is still getting out. This week on our FB group page someone asked how many CEs were were up to and the said it was about 1,200 of us. There was a neat graphic that TOH used at our retreat and I've posted it a few times online. We only reached 1,000 CES at the end of 2014 but we sold 89,000 items, helped employ 6,585 artisans and when our artisans were asked how many people their earrings helped support in their homes & communities we got back the number of 26,612 lives impacted. I can't wait for us to grow huge like some of the other companies... think of how many women (& their families) would be helped out of poverty!!!
I also recently heard the statistic that if every American Household would spend just $400/year on Fair Trade items poverty could essentially be eradicated. That just means taking some of our purchases that currently use slave labor and switching them to Fair Trade purchases. There's also a short trailer out from Poverty, Inc. for an upcoming movie that talks about how our current charity system is broken and isn't working. There was a gentleman in the trailer that said something similar to No country has ever received so much aid it became a first world country - and one of our artisan groups was shown around the 2 min. mark and after. https://vimeo.com/109863354 Here's the link to that movie trailer. The more I learn, the more I am proud to be advocating for our artisans, educating others to how we can help make lasting, generational change and that I joined Trades of Hope.
Check out the TOH website too. That's where I decided to join TOH from. And then I talked with my sponsor and joined up! Happy researching. <3
Amanda

funmomma
02-28-2015, 11:48 AM
And my live, in person party had become a live, FB party due to the snow coming down here in KC. My host thought it might get too bad, too quickly. So thankful we have options!! I just recorded a couple new videos - one to open the party and one to close it along with my standard posts. Going to change some lives today despite the snow!
Amanda

LoriW
02-28-2015, 02:16 PM
Awesome! So nice you have an option instead of just having to cancel or reschedule! I am in Iowa and the snow is just starting to lightly come down! I don't think we are suppose to get a lot though. I hope not! We have to travel to my daughters volleyball tournament tomorrow morning!!

funmomma
02-28-2015, 02:42 PM
Safe travels tomorrow Lori!
So far we only have an inch or two but when the host worries about her friends sliding around then yes, it's good we have other options. Years ago, it was just a cancellation with hopefully a reschedule! I am not highly technically inclined but I am glad that technology is widening options for all of us to do business in different ways and meet our customers where they are.
Amanda

funmomma
03-02-2015, 09:13 PM
LoriW,
I was at the Kansas City TOH National Tour stop tonight and Colleen B had driven down from Iowa (one of her team members is down here & we met at the retreat in January) and we got to talking and she was telling me about the fundraiser fashion show she was a part of which is likely where you saw TOH. Small world! :)
Amanda

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1