WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : need help, ebay returns

MissyAnn
03-25-2014, 01:39 PM
I have been selling on ebay since last Aug. Though I have bought things for several years before that. I have a 100% seller rating. I may have a problem. A customer bought a brand new girls winter jacket, back on Feb 17. I just received an email today from her. This jacket was/is brand new, never worn with tags. I thoroughly go over everything before listing. What do I do? I have resolved an issue here and there before. I do it to keep my ratings up. Even though, at times the customer made the mistake. However, I do not have the money to refund her. I always wait my 14 days return policy before I use that money for bills. This is my income. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi there!
I wanted to let you know that i pondered about emailing you because my daughter really likes this coat. I bought it for her for next year, your shipping was very quick and most of the jacket is in good shape. However, down the arm where it has a zeroxposur fabric name sticker on it , it was lifted and peeling and the "r" was missing a leg. I was hoping I could fix this myself but am having a hard time doing so. I have contacted the company in hopes they can send me a new sticker. I really don't want to return this, but don't want my daughter wearing a coat with writing peeling off of it. Please advise.
Thank you.

Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply
Respond

Girls Size 10-12 Zero Xposur winter jacket brand new
Girls Size 10-12 Zero Xposur winter jacket brand new
Item Id: 201037088223
Order Id: 201037088223-0
End time: Feb-17-14 13:48:03 PST

ybnegood
05-02-2014, 08:56 PM
in many cases, sellers Have to refund money, even if they are not at fault..
If you offer returns/refunds always check the box that "buyer" pays for return shipping.

If you don't normally offer returns, buyer could still press the issue as item was "damaged"
or otherwise not new and Ebay will usually side with the buyer.

That said, if you feel that you will end up refunding the money, then before you authorize the
return, send a message with the authorization that you "strongly suggest" that the buyer insure the
item in case it is lost by usps. I find sometimes once the buyer finds out they have to pay $xxx for return shipping and $xxx for insurance they sometimes change their mind.

Be careful of buyers that ask for a "partial refund" to make up for their perceived loss... they can
still leave negative feedback and can probably still file for a full refund.

I build into my shipping cost a small amount on every sale and set that money aside for problems such
as this. It's my own "self insurance' program I don't print postage value on any shipping label either
If I charge $5.00 for shipping and it costs me $4.60 to ship, the customer doesn't need to know. He bid
on the total package price item cost + shipping when he agreed to bid on my item

good luck to you
martin

Bunnie1978
05-03-2014, 05:44 PM
It was ordered back in FEBRUARY. If there was something wrong with it initially, it is the buyers responsibility to bring that issue to you so that you can resolve it. Does she have evidence that it was like that when she got it, and not as a result of poor care, like putting it in the dryer on high heat? I think after such a long time, I would certainly not give a refund or admit any possibility of it having arrived in less than perfect condition.

My own opinion... she took several steps to solve the issue herself... she obviously wants to keep the coat.

If I were you, I would reply back that you don't have any contacts at the manufacturer that can help you obtain a new sticker for the coat, and that the time allowed for refunds has past. Be friendly, and ask if she has any other ideas on how you might help her resolve the issue. In other words, keep the door open that you are willing to help her, but close the door on a refund. I guess that depends though on the terms you have on the ad.... if your ad says 30 days or whatever, you are ok, but if terms aren't laid out, you might have a problem.

If you are not able to send her the money back, even if she does send you back the coat, then you need to close that door, but this at least shows willingness to assist.

You need to give her the opportunity to tell you how she wants you to resolve the issue, but that does not mean you have to follow her instructions either.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1