WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

brandibug6
02-19-2014, 01:14 PM
I get that jewelry will tarnish over time...I do not wear gold so I have a lot of sterling silver jewelry, but I must say that I have never owned a piece of jewelry that tarnished as fast as my 2 OO chains. They look terrible. I've had one of them for 4 months, and it's already pee yellow. Hanging next to my $5 necklace from a clearance rack they look like cheap junk.

Is this normal to tarnish so quickly? How on earth am I supposed to get a polishing cloth into all those links on my rolo chain?? I'm very disappointed with them, given the amount of money I paid for those chains. Any advice?

KNicholls
02-20-2014, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't expect something to tarnish that fast. Have you tried going back to your consultant? I know if we have problems with something, we replace it. I have chains from our company that I've had for over a year and they are still shiny like new.

liz.jewels
02-20-2014, 01:17 PM
I'm not familiar with their chains. Are they sterling silver, silver-plate, or something else?

If they are sterling silver, then that seems awfully quick to tarnish. But they could be just "silver," in which case the copper content of the metal could be higher. It's the copper that leads to the tarnish and so the higher the content the faster it may happen.

Your $5 piece of jewelry isn't tarnishing because it's likely not coated with a metal that tarnishes. The issue with $5 jewelry is that when the plating wears off, you can't do anything to fix it. More expensive jewelry may tarnish, but should be able to be cleaned and restored to new condition.

Anyway, when my customers have a problem with jewelry tarnishing, I usually take their pieces and clean them for them. One thing to keep in mind is that if you have sterling silver pieces, it's easier to prevent tarnish by rubbing a polishing cloth over them after wearing and then storing them in an air-tight or anti-tarnish container. I have customers who do this and all of their jewelry looks brand new without polishing.

Eye
02-21-2014, 07:17 AM
That's exactly what I was going to suggest as well. I would also contact your designer and see if she can help you!!

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1